Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2015, 14:59   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Do you need a license for FRS/GMRS Radios in Germany

I never said it would be illegal for HAMS to use them. But the OP is not a ham, we're not in that context.

A ham can legally broadcast using a toaster oven and a crystal whisker, if they want to. However, most hams today are incapable of testing their equipment to ensure it meets the technical specifications for Part 97, making it a foolish risk for them to use uncertified equipment.

This equipment, these radios (like almost all the Chinese SDRs that are sold "for" ham use) are not Part97 certified. That also means it is ILLEGAL for the VENDOR to advertise the use of these radios for ham radio, or to intentionally sell them for that purpose.

Oh, and if the ham, or anyone else, is using them on FRS frequencies, and the antenna can be unscrewed and replaced, as is usual on the Baofengs and others? That's $10,000 right there, the antenna on an FRS radio may not be replaceable, it could exceed the ERP limits. I have no idea what the power limits on these radios are, either.

Whether these SDRs actually can meet Part 97 specs or not, is a whole other question. If a radio is uncertified despite a huge potential market--you can rashly assume it wouldn't pass the test. The FCC lets hams get away with a lot of things "wink wink nudge nudge" as Monty Python said.

Yes, a lot of hams do use them. The OPs were looking for unlicensed radios, not ham radios. These radios also happen to make lousy ham radios, because it is so cumbersome to program them for repeater splits and options, and so little simplex is done on those channels.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 19:15   #17

Just as a follow up, decided to go with the Baofeng BF-888S. They were $30 for a pair and are programable for use on both US and European frequencies. I have a buddy who is a Ham radio fan who can do the programming. While maybe not completely legal around the world, we'll just be using them for a few seconds to assist in docking, and then we'll secure them. Thanks again for the help and interesting dialogue.
Hooksetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 15:20   #18

Boat: 1976 Coronado 15'

Type approval aside, I'm considering asking at my sailing club to see who is interested in what is essentially a cheap Marine VHF + FRS/GMRS radio and buying a 10 count bulk pack of UV5R or UV-6R.

I'm a developer, so I'm not afraid of CHIRP, the programming etc. If I can outfit our regattas with good comms on marine VHF (unlicensed in the USA and these Baofeng's ARE legal to use on those frequencies) then this might be a fantastic service & addition to our club.

Does anyone have personal use experience with ANY of the Baofeng line of hand helds? At <$50 each these are a pretty good deal, I just want to see if anyone has experience with the slightly "marine"-ish versions vs the lowest end UV-5R / UV-6R.
JasonRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Germany, license, radio