Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2018, 10:34   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Displaying boat name

I changed the name of my boat when I purchased her. Since I knew I would be painting the topsides, I had a signboard made with the boat's name and city.

I've finished with the painting, but I'm not sure about getting the name painted or stenciled on the sides. I kinda like the way it looks with the board. I know I will need to have another one made to meet the coast guard regs for letter size, but this is half the price of having stencils made.

Is this a bad idea?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BoatName.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	436.4 KB
ID:	177677  
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 11:09   #2

Re: Displaying boat name

Quote:
The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.
That's the entirety of the guidance from the USCG on name and hailing port marking. If I was being very, very technical about reading the rules, I would say your name was not on "part of the hull", and the name and hailing port were not "marked together."

But... based on what I see on boats I would have to say the rules are not often enforced.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 22:04   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We've been using vinyl letters. You can choose whatever colour and font you want, and they are easy to apply.

Ann
Old 21-09-2018, 04:31   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
We've been using vinyl letters. You can choose whatever colour and font you want, and they are easy to apply.

Ann
And... Easy to remove as and when necessary.

Note that the purpose of stipulating the size of lettering for name and hailing port is to make identification of the yacht easier, particularly for SAR efforts, which may be more important for you than for the authorities.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 05:27   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I would note that with a round transom your sign board makes sense. I have seen transoms like this with port and starboard lettering.

BTW, we are having new custom large name and hailing port made for Roxy this season. It is less than half the US cost. We are in Chaguaramos,Trinidad. Not much help for you but a note to others.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat