Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2020, 04:47   #1

Cruising permit for trailer sailor?

If a Canadian licensed vessel arrives in the United States by road trailer from Canada, is a cruising permit required to launch it in United States’ waters? Would the answer differ if it were kept permanently in the water for several months, or if it were kept on its trailer and launched only for for day sailing? Other than the vessel’s licence, are there any other documents she would require? We could be headed to the Clearwater, Florida area.
Old 22-02-2020, 12:37   #2

Re: Cruising permit for trailer sailor?

As there were no replies to the original post, I thought I would ask again whether a cruising permit would be needed for a Canadian licensed vessel trailered into the United States and then launched in US waters. From another thread, I was reminded that I would need a ship station licence for the VHF and remember to bring my operator’s certificate card. Thanks in advance.
Old 22-02-2020, 21:48   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

When you come across the border, ask the Customs Agent there, they can probably point you to where you should go, if it is needed. (Sorry, but I really don't know any better than looking up regulations and trying to figure it out, but they'll hold you responsible for knowing, so i can really understand your trying to find out.)

Good luck with it. It is also possible that the State you come in through will want something or other.

Ann
Old 22-02-2020, 22:55   #4

Boat: Monk designed troller, 47'

As a former Washington resident, I will offer only what I believe to be true and you can verify, then decide how it applies to your situation.

Vessels registered in their home state are allowed to be used for 60 days from the date of their arrival without permit. If the vessel is going to be in Washington for longer than that, an additional 60 day permit may be secured from a DMV licensing office. This must be done prior to the original 60 days expiring. To obtain that permit, a current registration from the the home state must be presented ( they will not give an extension on an expired registration). If the vessel is intended to be in Washington for more than 120 days, it will need to be registered with the state and wear WN registration numbers.

Note that if you are planning on mooring the boat in Washington waters for more than 30 days, you will need to provide the marina with a copy of a Vessel Registration Exemption form. This form is available online at:

https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregist...isterboat.html

I hope this helps-
Hans2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 04:00   #5

Thank you very much. I had not thought about State requirements in addition to national regulations. I will investigate!

Tags
cruising, permit, sail, trailer