Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 13:05   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Also what happens if you purchase a boat in the U.S. register it as a Canadian Vessel but never actually leave the U.S.?"

On the 366th day after you flagged it, it becomes subject to seizure and fines. Your cruising permit is good for one year maximum, and then you must be out for 15 days before trying to come back.

If The Man is being very very nice, he will tell you to leave, rather than seizing the boat on Day 366. But these days? Heck, a seized boat helps the bottom line....
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 13:51   #17

Boat: Stephens, MY, 70 ft,Vancouver and 43 ft Hatteras in Florida
Cruising license renewals

Latest published info on CBP.gov,,,successive renewals only granted to US residents, even though 3130-6a gives relief for US built foreign flagged Canadian vessels.

If you want to retain foreign flag, you must depart annually etc etc...am going through this right now in Ft Myers, some other ports treat differently but no guarantees of successive renewals.

a suggestion was to register in Florida and then obtain Decal and off you go, but that is still not 100% clear..
canuck dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 14:46   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"a suggestion was to register in Florida "
Which means you'll need a mailing address in Florida (St. Brendans?) and your insurer will want to know about the registration change and perhaps have something to say about that as well.

"If you want to retain foreign flag, you must depart annually"
Oh, just declare war and when they ask "Nature of your visit?" reply "Invasion and conquest." Conquerers don't need no permits.

:-)
Old 23-12-2010, 14:51   #19

Foreign vessel permits

Because Florida has the Bahamas within cruising range it works for them, what if you are in SF, a 45 ft motor boat would never make it to a foreign port on it's own bottom, so I guess the US just does not want you to stay and spend big bucks, very strange indeed.
Old 23-12-2010, 15:03   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Not so strange, Dennis. NO PLACE wants foreigners to come visit forever. Come, visit, leave your money and go. That's the way it works everyplace and I'd bet Canada is no different. Many places, you won't get a one year permit at all, under any conditions.

Want to stay forever? That's what "resident alien" status is for.
Old 23-12-2010, 18:40   #21

foreign registry

No, do not want res. status, only the boat stays there, if the US ins. co's would insure foreign flagged pleasure craft then it would be lot easier, if the boat is re registered there, insurance is possible but really not insurance at all, all claims to be adjudicated in London UK.

Canada Customs does not have the same restrictions, in fact Canada Customs does not know, as of today, what their stance is if reversed situation, I do know the Province of BC has no restriction or tax implications for foreign owned vessels in the Province, (private ownership only).

Interesting that Florida has no tax implications for foreign vehicles, motor homes included.
Old 24-12-2010, 02:36   #22
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Many many countries have tax and registration rules concerning long stay vessels at a very minimum to bring them on par with local vessels. It required careful study.

bTW I don't see how Loylds of London isn't insurance !! What does it matter where it's adjudicated

Dave
Old 24-12-2010, 05:48   #23

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck dennis View Post
Interesting that Florida has no tax implications for foreign vehicles, motor homes included.
And, if you have a US CBP cruising permit for your boat, there are no tax implications in Florida.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 11:33   #24

foreign vessels in the US

So, if if someone has a claim against you they must register and fight the the claim in London also the reverse and if you look at the policy restrictions it is quite onerous in comparison to what is available in North America.

When one has two letters from divisions of Homeland security giving two different rulings, it leaves you frustrated,
Old 24-12-2010, 13:46   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

dennis-
"When one has two letters from divisions of Homeland security giving two different rulings, "
I would think you don't have two "rulings", but rather you have two 'advisory opinions'. Depending on who they are from, and what they refer to, you may simply have the quite literally worthless opinions of two clerks.
Not at all the same as COURT rulings, which carry a bit more standing in the US but are still subject to appeal and reversal.
In our law schools they teach that the law relies on the concept of "the reasonable man" and that reasonable men would not generally disagree. Which is why the 9 most reasonable men [sic] in the country, our US Supreme Court, usually are split 4:5 on every topic. Sigh.
Old 24-12-2010, 15:48   #26

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck dennis View Post
No, do not want res. status, only the boat stays there, if the US ins. co's would insure foreign flagged pleasure craft then it would be lot easier, if the boat is re registered there, insurance is possible but really not insurance at all, all claims to be adjudicated in London UK.

Canada Customs does not have the same restrictions, in fact Canada Customs does not know, as of today, what their stance is if reversed situation, I do know the Province of BC has no restriction or tax implications for foreign owned vessels in the Province, (private ownership only).

Are you trying to imply that US based insurance carriers do not offer coverage on foreign (non-US) flagged vessels? I'm not sure that's true, I know of a BVI flagged vessel with a US based insurance carrier. I'm not sure it's about the flag of the vessel, but the residence of the owner.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 09:12   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Are you trying to imply that US based insurance carriers do not offer coverage on foreign (non-US) flagged vessels? I'm not sure that's true, ...
It might be worth asking Tabby Cat, one of our resident insurance experts.
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: TabbyCat

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 10:33   #28

Foreign flagged

Does not matter if it's because of flag or residence..is not available.
Old 26-01-2011, 17:38   #29

Boat: Downeaster 38
Back to the original question, a "cruising license" (USA) ( aka "cruising permit" ) is permission for a foreign flag vessel to proceed from port to port without doing formal clearing in at each port, although you do have to report by phone your new location. That's all, permission to "cruise". They are good for up to a year, and then you have to leave to another country and return before getting another cruise license--except, unless like myself you are a US citizen who owns a foreign flag boat, and then you are exempt from having to leave and come back. A cruising license is not mandatory for foreign flag boats unless they desire to go from port to port with less formalities.

If you search the forum, you'll find lots more info dating back several years but that's it in a paragraph.

What does this accomplish? Who knows. The usual answer is government revenue, but in this case the "cruising license" is free. Hard to believe. And when you call "Border Protection" (hah!) and report your new location, I have simply said "Miami", to which the agent (with a Pakistani accent--no kidding) dutifully recorded it without further question as to where among the millions of boats in Miami. !!!!!???????

Finally, as an American citizen, I take issue with having to report my location for no reason. True, I own and operate a foreign flag vessel, but boats don't commit crimes against the state, people do, and I don't recall America having reached the point of having its citizens report their movements to the government--till now.
North26West80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 15:50   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Cruising Permit ?

An old thread but I am bumping it to see if things have changed or settled down.

My case sounds a bit like N26W80, I am a dual US/Canadian citizen. I am considering bringing my Canadian registered boat down here for a bit.

I presume I will have to go through all the foreign boat stuff even though I am a US citizen.

I'll be their rules won't cover that case.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
permit