Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2016, 01:38   #1

Boat: Vindö 45
Cruising formalities compared to the 90s

Dreaming about the big thing, I have just finished reading a book by an Ukrainian sailor Valery Petushchak "A Voyage through Three Oceans" (not sure if it has been ever published in English). In the book, he describes the first circumnavigation under the Ukrainian flag; he did this with his wife on a self-built 30ft yacht in 1994-1998.

I think, much has changed since then, as one thing that struck me was the very informal way they were checking in into destination countries. Most of the time, they were arriving unanounced (they were hardly using their VHF) and they were getting their visas from the harbour authorities.

In one case, they finished their stay in Australia and checked out in the Thursday Island. Then they sailed to the Cockonut Islands to replenish their supplies. The authorities there wanted to charge them for extending their Australian visas, but Valery claimed that he was not stayng, just replenishing his supplies and that they were to allow him a stop up to 3 days for this. He was granted this 3 days stop without visa!

This 3 days stop for replenishing - is this a kind of habit? Or a rule? Is it still valid? My question is fully theoretical, since it will last long till I face these questions personally...
Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 02:23   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising formalities compared to the 90s

Amigo.. it used to be even easier.. once one did not even need a passport.. your ships papers were enough.
As to clearing in.. in many places in the Pacific it still is pretty laid back.. drop the hook Friday avo.. wander up to the police station and they say come back Monday.. feel free to explore the island..
Its only when you hit 'Civilisation' that the ***** starts..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 02:35   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Cruising formalities compared to the 90s

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Amigo.. it used to be even easier.. once one did not even need a passport.. your ships papers were enough.
As to clearing in.. in many places in the Pacific it still is pretty laid back.. drop the hook Friday avo.. wander up to the police station and they say come back Monday.. feel free to explore the island..
Its only when you hit 'Civilisation' that the ***** starts..
Not many left like that any more even in the Pacific. Quite a few require advance notice of arrival.

(Too many Australia Aid "advisers" showing them how to control visitors )
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising