Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2012, 05:02   #1

Crossbow on Boat?

Hi,

I am starting a circumnavigation and plan to take my hunting crossbow onboard, as well as a couple of metal detectors for beach hunting. Does anybody think that this could cause problems with customs somewhere? The crossbow has optical sight, and it looks serious. It has sentimental value for me, I do not even fish these days. The metal detectors are for beach hunting and I use them only where it is allowed. But of course, all these would stay on board at all times.

Any personal experiences with such things are welcome.

Thanks
Geko21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 05:12   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Crossbow on boat?

Illegal in Qld Australia without a permit, and illegal to import into Australia with out permit, so if you are planning on coming this way, talk to Australian Customs first.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 07:34   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

The cross bow is likely to at least raise some eye brows and probably more. The metal detectors not likely to be a problem.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 08:06   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Illegal in Bermuda. Surrender to Customs on arrival.
Old 21-08-2012, 08:12   #5

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer
Illegal in India too.
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 08:42   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Why not just store it and avoid the hassles?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 08:52   #7

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

I wonder how even having metal detectors on-board would go over in Greece?
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 12:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Why not just store it and avoid the hassles?
I may have to do just that. How is the situation in the Caribbean, Panama, The Pacific islands?

Honestly I didn't expect it to be that bad. In my view this is very simple weapon compared to many. My logic was - I can have a speargun (right? can I?) and crossbow is not much different. It is even traditionally used for fishing.

But, well..
Geko21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 12:30   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko21 View Post
I may have to do just that. How is the situation in the Caribbean, Panama, The Pacific islands?

Honestly I didn't expect it to be that bad. In my view this is very simple weapon compared to many. My logic was - I can have a speargun (right? can I?) and crossbow is not much different. It is even traditionally used for fishing.

But, well..
Some countries even a speargun is considered a weapon and must be declared and possibly surrendered until departure.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 12:35   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:

But, well..
Just my passive opinion but if you have any kind of weapon onboard, you may just be attracting trouble.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 13:35   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Crossbow & metal detectors on boat?

Quote:
The crossbow has optical sight, and it looks serious. It has sentimental value for me
As regular on CF someone turning up with a sentimental attachment to a crossbow does not come as a complete surprise.........

........but for officialdom it may come accross as a bit odd. and officialdom generally doesn't like odd.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 14:54   #12
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

In some situations the wording that seems to get their attention is when an arrow, or spear, is "mechanically held or released". I did a lot of bow hunting in the US and found a lot of places that were fine with compounds and even with mechanical releases had a different set of rules with crossbows. Maybe because they can be stored cocked and loaded?

same thing with spear guns. Bahamas, no mechanically held spears. slings or pole spears only. Nothing that can be held and is fired by trigger.

Here, even slings are illegal, but I don't think they would prosecute someone down there stabbing lionfish to death with one.
Old 21-08-2012, 17:08   #13

Boat: Corbin39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul
In some situations the wording that seems to get their attention is when an arrow, or spear, is "mechanically held or released". I did a lot of bow hunting in the US and found a lot of places that were fine with compounds and even with mechanical releases had a different set of rules with crossbows. Maybe because they can be stored cocked and loaded?

same thing with spear guns. Bahamas, no mechanically held spears. slings or pole spears only. Nothing that can be held and is fired by trigger.

Here, even slings are illegal, but I don't think they would prosecute someone down there stabbing lionfish to death with one.
In the Bahamas you can not fish with a speargun, but you can have one on board, they don't care. Guns are allowed, but give them an excuse to board you to "check the weapon". Always check ahead or be prepared to loose it...
Agape39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 15:16   #14

Re: Crossbow on Boat?

Would a recurve bow, legal eveywhere
MJS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 15:57   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Crossbow on Boat?

I think a weapon, is a weapon, and in many places a weapon that throws or shoots a projectile, is a firearm, bows, slingshots, spearguns etc.
I know it isn’t logical, I’d assume a fire has to be involved to be a firearm, but not so.
Just as an example my Beeman air rife was illegal in Germany where I had it. I didn’t know that until I got there, and it never left the closet until it left to come home, so nothing came of it. They have a Ft lbs of energy limit that the Beeman exceeded, making it illegal. It was registered etc., just no one knew or asked about muzzle velocity.

Point is that rules vary from location to location, there are no universal rules, you have to check, and often you will get different answers to the same question, so even if you call and ask and get an OK, that may not be true in check in.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote