Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 16:17   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
He Gord.....wanna borrow by ball bearings?

Click...Click....Clicketyclickety......Click
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 08:51   #17

Re: Crew Waiver Forms

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Most Waivers, I’ve seen, are between Yacht Owners & Crew and Yacht Clubs & Race Organizers, not between Owners & Crew.

I would consult a Admiralty Lawyer.

Notwithstanding, perhaps you can edit one of the following, to your purposes:

http://www.transpacificyc.org/05/PDF/tp05-waiver.pdf
http://www.ussailing.org/racemgt/doc...ses0205-v1.pdf
http://www.sfbama.org/2008/dhf/NOR_and_Instructions.pdf
http://www.sbyra.ca/2007/racing%20re...nform-2007.pdf
http://www.waikikioffshores.com/04/PDF/WOSEntry.pdf

NOTE to prospective “CREW”:
Any charge above your own food contribution, personal visas and permits, etc., constitutes a "commercial venture" with dramatic and serious insurance and legal implications. Paying for any fuel, dockage, etc., makes you a "paying guest". As such, check relevant insurance policies (that covers paying guests), vessel documentation (to carry paying guests), skipper's documentation (to take charge of a vessel carrying paying guests), etc.
The above note I believe was written by our esteemed moderator
GordMay back in 2008
My question is, Is it still the case that if fuel and dockage funds are collected by the owner does it constitute a “ commercial venture”
A charter?
Cheers
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 17:58   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
The above note I believe was written by our esteemed moderator
GordMay back in 2008
My question is, Is it still the case that if fuel and dockage funds are collected by the owner does it constitute a “ commercial venture”
A charter?
Cheers
Dunno, but it's irrrelevant to me.

I've taken on crew and also been taken on as crew on quite a few deliveries and cruises.

I would never ask any crew I took on to contribute to those items.

If a boat owner wants to go places, fuel and dockage are the owner's responsibility. If an owner can't afford to pay for such items for HIS boat for HIS planned trip, he shouldn't be making the trip!

I would never crew on a vessel where the owner required a contribution for those items.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 12:35   #19

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

On my first trip up north I asked for a $35 contribution from each of two crew, for a week of sailing. (I had put hundreds into provisioning so it was low, as intended.) One of them stiffed me. That was the last time I asked for contributions. After more experiences with crew (a four letter word) I have come to the following conclusions:

I don't take on crew because I need them - I can single-hand. If someone looks to be helpful and pleasant company then I will consider it. "Needing" crew changes the dynamics in a negative way.

I don't take "contributions". Too often that leads to a sense of entitlement. My boat is my home, I am the host and my crew are my guests. I expect them to respect my property and my way of doing things, as any house guest should. Of course I explain the responsibilities of captain and crew as regarding operations, but otherwise it is my home. It is not a democracy but I try to be considerate of their desires.

My general rule is that I will pay for everything but drinks once aboard (I no longer drink), and they will pay for transport to and from the boat. I am a bit flexible on the details.

I spend some time to get to know a prospect before heading off. I am mostly looking for attitude but also for fit. Basically I want to know how we will work together, and share duties. My antennae are up for issues with drugs and alcohol abuse, of course, and control issues. I have never asked anyone to sign a paper, nor have I provided a paper with standing orders. I do go over my standing orders verbally though.

In my early days of cruising I felt that I needed help and I think that contributed to some unsatisfactory crew experiences. With experience and confidence I find that the crew I do take aboard are a positive experience - for both sides. Part of that is the knowledge that I will happily continue on without them if they become a problem.

As for the OP, I don't know the context of his question so difficult to answer. Personally, even though the interpretation of the contribution rules have been relaxed a bit, I stay clear of any hint that there is any sort of trade happening. Those skippers that charge thousands to go on the ARC are playing with fire. They are also changing the dynamic aboard: a paying crew is going to feel entitled to have a say in things. I would not go there...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote