Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2020, 13:20   #1

Boat: 58'Kelsall Ballota Catamaran
Covid extension on foreign boat visitation times?

How has COVID 19 affected restrictions on boats being within a foreign nation. Ocean Jedi has been in Portugal almost a year on the hard since covid shut down both USA and Europe and I don't know when I can get back to sail her out of the EU. Vaccines will not be generally available until the spring in the usa and at my age, i don't want to risk flying until i can get vaccinated. EU has a 18 months limit on foreign vessels. I don't know if being out of the water makes a difference or if there are going to be any automatic extensions. Anyone know this?
ocean.jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 14:47   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Covid extension on foreign boat visitation times?

Maybe check with the Portuguese Embassy or Consulate. Asking this one-of-a-kind question here will get you answers that will make the officials in Portugal laugh as they impound and confiscate your boat, or tax/fine/penalize you. The best thing would be to get an official letter with lots of stamps from the Embassy, signed by the ambassador, telling you what the deal is so you can show the people in Portugal and they will have to go along. An email.... not so much. Of course, things could change after the letter is written, too, making it not worth the paper it's written on. Getting a contact at the Embassy who can keep you up-to-date on changes - and provide a new letter if needed - would be a good idea. Falo Portuguese?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 11:13   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

DO NOT ask officials that question

Drop your boat in the water and sale away , beg forgiveness not ask permission

Portugal is the worst for this type of stuff , never end up their
Old 23-11-2020, 11:28   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
DO NOT ask officials that question

Drop your boat in the water and sale away , beg forgiveness not ask permission

Portugal is the worst for this type of stuff , never end up their
Just be sure to leave on a day when the S.A.M. are very busy doing other things. If it's a slow day and they recognize the one American boat that they know has overstayed its visa trying to head out, they may come down twice as hard. Begging forgiveness? What if they don't respond well to that? You WANT to buy a new boat?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 13:47   #5

Boat: Catalina Morgan 381

Google is your friend. I found this that says, "There is a possibility of extension of that period, but only in exceptional circumstances, as it is established in Article 251(3) of the Union Customs Code (UCC).". I suspect a global pandemic qualifies as execptional circumstances since it is the EU that is saying you can't go and pick up your boat.

Worst case, is there anyway to launch the boat and hire a captain to sail her offshore and re-enter the EU again? That should reset the clock and give you another 18 months.

Quote:
Can you have another period of Temporary Importation? How long must you wait?

Yes, you are not limited to a single period of temporary import. You can sail the yacht out of the EU and when you came back again a new period of temporary admission can begin. The customs rules do not provide for a 'minimum period' during which the goods must remain outside of the customs territory of the Union
ksuderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2020, 14:25   #6

Boat: 58'Kelsall Ballota Catamaran

Thank you. Very useful information. Article 251(2) says 24 months, not 18. Section 4 says you can get extension for up to 10 years. I guess i ask for a six months so I can get a vaccine before sailing to morocco, or turkey, or some other non-EU country, if and when both Portugal and the other Country opens up.
ocean.jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat