Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2021, 16:03   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: country flags do you need them?

Depends. Some places could careless. Some get huffy.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 21:02   #17

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper_Dan View Post
Thanks Paul, someone also linked some other responses and I see that you can also buy them local once you get there. Maybe a good option, unless the one place you do need it and they don't have them.
I wouldn't count on buying local. The places you clear in at are often not very yacht oriented, so there is no call for the shops to carry them,
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:44   #18

Boat: J/42

I got a set from Yachtflags.com - they offer relatively inexpensive sets organized for different cruising areas. They're very light-weight and pack compactly. Perhaps not as nice as the "Taylor Made" brand but quite a lot cheaper. Also many of them just have the general colors and stripes but lack any complicated shields or devices. I hope it's the effort that counts?

They ship by post from Sweden, so depending on where you are located, you may need to allow quite a long lead time. This was my rationalization for buying a set while still in the "armchair" phase of the cruise.

Despite any claims of colorfastness, I preemptively spray new flags down with scotchguard or the like. Also take time to mark down the name of the country (or other description) and an arrow pointing UP! on the end tape, with permanent marker.

BTW: A medium-sized luggage packing cube makes a neat and compact flag bag.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:47   #19

Boat: Leopard 48

In the Bahamas last year the authorities picked just 3 boats out of 50 in a large anchorage to visit, discuss documentation and generally increase the water content of their cocktails they were enjoying. Not surprising two of them were not flying courtesy flags. If you want to avoid having to throw overboard a hot martini or grimace at a pool of water in the top of your dark and stormy, take the 5 minutes...
wathey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 11:53   #20

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
In Mexico, some Port Captains WILL give you grief if you are not flying the Mexico (courtesy) flag (they may even give you grief if it is flown but tattered).
As flags get tattered on the outer edge we rollover and sew the edge - nobody can see that the ratio has changed and this extends the life. We have also added strips made out of everything from spinnaker off cuts to shopping bags! Some flags are easy to make, some very hard but can draw symbols onto them eg birds etc using texta pens.
Toys_with_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 12:54   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Once sailing from Ramsgate, UK to Nieuwpoort, BE I tried to get a Belgian courtesy flag from the chandler in Ramsgate. Unfortunately, he was out of stock. I remembered that one of my crew in the States who happened to be Belgian had left his Flemish flag onboard. I dug it out of my flag bag and flew it to the starboard spreader. Only to be told later that it was illegal to fly the provicial Flemish flag in Belgium, even though I was in Flanders, it angers the Walloons. Other places I have visited like Brittany or Galicia, people fly the provincial flags instead of the national flag. I heard that if you fly the Spanish flag in Galicia, you are asking from trouble. Courtesy flags from countries you have visited are nice souvenirs.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 13:15   #22

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Many of us are aware of marine traditions and practices. We try to follow them. Others neither know or understand the long and honored conventions of the sea.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 14:20   #23

Boat: Catalina 375

If you plan to go into coastal waters in Africa you better have proper etiquette with flags and everything else. The Local Customs could threaten to take your boat away. I had a friend who lost a boat in Guinea. I worked and lived in Africa for 25+ years. Saw it all. Not worth any hassle you might get for stupidly not following etiquette.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 14:34   #24

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
... I hope it's the effort that counts?...
Just exactly what effort did you go to to get these flags?
Old 11-11-2021, 16:38   #25

Courtesy flags are a part of yachting when visiting countries.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 17:46   #26

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
Also many of them just have the general colors and stripes but lack any complicated shields or devices. I hope it's the effort that counts?
Some counties use a Civilian Ensign, the flag that boats use, that doesn't have those devices. Civilian Ensigns frequently differ from the most popular version of a country's flag.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 18:48   #27

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

I always fly the courtesy flag when at anchor in a foreign country. But when in a marina I often will not. Are we expected to fly the courtesy flag when at a dock in a marina? What about in a marina when the boat is not occupied?
Old 12-11-2021, 04:34   #28

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Best to fly the correct courtesy flag once you cross the marine border. An example:
I tried to get a berth in Gib but they were all full so i went up to La Linea which is just across the border in Spain. (flying the Spanish courtesy flag of course on the stbd spreader). Before leaving the area i thought i would fill up w diesel at the fuel quay near Gib airport( best price around since tax free) and asked for a berth overnight so i could fill up in the morning once the fuel quay re-opened. So having finally got a berth in Gib i triumphantly sailed down from La Linea/Spain to Marina Bay/Gib marina only to hear instructions on the VHF from the marina office to his guys on the pontoons "do not give that guy a berth unless he takes down the Spanish courtesy flag! (which i had forgotten to remove in the short transit from La Linea to Marina Bay, being more concerned about local shipping movements ).
Andrew
SY "Genial Bee"
Old 12-11-2021, 05:43   #29

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We bought 12 x 18 maps that are typically used on a desk with a wooden stick. They were about $2 each, cheaper if you buy in quantity. They will last for a month or more so good for places that you are passing through. We bought good flags (eg France) for multiple use.
Old 12-11-2021, 11:58   #30

Boat: Chatam 50

Absolutely a necessity. No question about it.
Leee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flags