Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2021, 18:21   #61

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: Countries illegal to sail into with copper paint?

Coppercoat is one of the least toxic antifoulings and is more environmental friendly than anything ablative or toxic you may paint on yearly, it lasts 10 to 15 years (safes money, ressources and energy) , barely releases toxines in the water and does not poison marinas or yards from scrubbing of washing down the algae. And it is also a good osmosis barrier, because it is based on epoxy.
Old 29-03-2021, 18:27   #62
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamO View Post
Tetra Butyl Tin (TBT) is the widely banned chemical, not Copper.
It’s tributyl tin, not whatever you said
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 18:57   #63

Boat: Spindrift 43

I’d pay good money to hear of a single person with a pleasure craft who has been imprisoned or fined because they pulled in somewhere with the wrong bottom paint.

Short of some cautionary tale to that effect, I’m convinced we are contorting ourselves for no real reason.

Raise your hand if you’ve ever been hemmed up in a foreign port of call for the wrong bottom paint.

That’s a genuine request, not a challenge. Help us ensure we don’t run afoul of some oddball entry restrictions that aren’t already well published.

Until legitimacy can be established in this thread (as per the requests above), I’m off to read about important stuff in the moisture-resistant salt shaker thread.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 19:22   #64

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finestkind View Post
Me smells Troll...

Yep, hiding behind a mask!
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 20:04   #65

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I assumed it was a commercially available product, not something you were creating yourself. Keep us posted
I stand corrected, or maybe not. On its own it cannot work. Required to be blended before it can be activated.

A scenario similar to Natrium and Chloride that is ineffective and poisonous separately, but combined it is ordinary table salt.

The application will be novice though, as well as the mixture. I am trying to get to a KFC model where all the ingredients are commercially available, but that the concoction will amount to something.

And with something I do not mean nor intend to exploit fellow seamen. We are in this together. Yet it will be randy if I can skim $10 on a sale.

��
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 20:11   #66

Boat: Southern Cross 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelduin View Post
Out of curiosity, how do those large ships get cleaned?
On the US Navy ships I was on, it generally started with a 1MC (ship-wide PA) announcement - “There are divers working over the side. Do not operate any underwater equipment, rotate screws, cycle rudders, take suction from or discharge to the sea without first contacting the officer of the deck and the diving supervisor.”
mabowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 20:18   #67
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
Yep, hiding behind a mask!
I assume you're referring to me?

Matt Peterson
FastBottoms Hull Diving
(925) 671-2826
matt@fastbottoms.com
FastBottoms Hull Diving Home Page

If you believe that I'm a troll and that I'm "hiding", I encourage you to contact me. I am no troll and every word I post here is based on 26 years of professional hull cleaning experience including 35,000 in-water hull cleaning events. I doubt that anybody else on this forum can claim the same.
Old 29-03-2021, 20:23   #68

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Have to smile, there some here that are apparently unable to differentiate between sailing a boat into a foreign port and applying antifoul paint in a foreign port.
To the best of my knowledge no one faces problems regarding the type of paint already on the boat at arrival, however any country has the right to restrict the paint type available for sale and application in their jurisdiction.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 21:20   #69

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
To the best of my knowledge no one faces problems regarding the type of paint already on the boat at arrival, however any country has the right to restrict the paint type available for sale and application in their jurisdiction.
Doesn't the Galapagos have restrictions on the type of antifoul for visiting vessels, or was that rescinded?
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 21:25   #70

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Coppercoat is one of the least toxic antifoulings and is more environmental friendly than anything ablative or toxic you may paint on yearly, it lasts 10 to 15 years (safes money, ressources and energy) , barely releases toxines in the water and does not poison marinas or yards from scrubbing of washing down the algae. And it is also a good osmosis barrier, because it is based on epoxy.
And yet in this thread we see multiple examples of places where high copper content antifoul is not permitted?

Does that include CopperCoat too? Or does it have some exemption given that it does it not leach copper in the same way as a normal antifoul? In fact they say it is classified as 'non-leaching'.

The CopperCoat website has this information (and a link to a full report).

https://coppercoat.com/

Classified as non-leaching, this highly effective coating is considerably kinder to the environment than conventional self-eroding anti-fouls. The complete treatment has been tested and approved by the Health and Safety Executive, in compliance with UK and EU law. Holding HSE Certificate Number 7532 Coppercoat is fully approved for use by both professional tradesmen and the general public. Coppercoat is tin-free and fully complies with current (2001) International Maritime Organisation (IMO) resolution MEPC.102(48). Within the UK Coppercoat is used by the Environment Agency.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 00:38   #71

Boat: Ferretti Altura 42

Hi Sean,

Here in the Netherlands copper paint was completely banned, but since especially Germany didn't want to ban, certain brands are allowed again. Other paints are available (especially if you buy them in Germany), but you aren't allowed to apply them to your boat.

I saw recent tests with silicone paint, which supposedly isn't dangerous for the environment after being applied and non-stick works for marine life too apparently. I guess that'll be my choice for next winter.

Smuggling weapons into the EU is one of the surest ways to apply for an extended stay. I definitely wouldn't do that.

-Hans
hans-martijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 03:17   #72

Boat: Presto 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF32907 View Post
Capt VR here.

See you are a jerk that jumps to conclussions. I had a 55' aluminum ketch. It was not illegal for me to use TBT. But it does prove you are a jerk that jumps to conclussions. Capt. Vince Raklstis Ret. MS
In February 2021 I pulled my boat to have the Seahawk anti-fouling with TBT agent replaced. Even after 4 long years in the warm water of coastal GA(USA) it was apparent that it really didn't need to be replaced, with just a tiny bit of the different colored undercoat showing and no marine growth at all, except for some small amount on the running gear, but due to the controversy over the TBT additive I had new anti-fouling applied. For those incensed by this type of now illegal paint additive, it might interest you or not for that matter, that coastal cities by their very existence and location, pollute and degradate the waters of the Earth , far more than any paint additive.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 07:40   #73
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF32907 View Post
Capt VR here.

See you are a jerk that jumps to conclussions. I had a 55' aluminum ketch. It was not illegal for me to use TBT. But it does prove you are a jerk that jumps to conclussions. Capt. Vince Raklstis Ret. MS
Tin-based paints are illegal for sale, use or application in the U.S. It doesn't matter whether your hull is aluminum or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
In February 2021 I pulled my boat to have the Seahawk anti-fouling with TBT agent replaced... but due to the controversy over the TBT additive I had new anti-fouling applied.
Tin-based paints have been banned for decades. There is no "controversy" over it. TbT is one of the worst poisons ever intentionally introduced to the marine environment and there is no justification for its use.
Old 30-03-2021, 07:43   #74
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Does that include CopperCoat too? In fact they say it is classified as 'non-leaching'.
Which is exactly why Coppercoat is a lousy anti fouling coating.
Old 30-03-2021, 14:44   #75

Boat: Presto 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Tin-based paints are illegal for sale, use or application in the U.S. It doesn't matter whether your hull is aluminum or not.

Tin-based paints have been banned for decades. There is no "controversy" over it. TbT is one of the worst poisons ever intentionally introduced to the marine environment and there is no justification for its use.
Interesting that you only used part of my statement and not the whole.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
legal, paint, sail