Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2022, 08:39   #1

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Coastal Hop Panama to California Formalities: Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Salvador...

I will be doing the coastal route from Panama to California and I'm wondering about the ease (and enforcement) of clearing in and out of Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Guatemala on my way up the coast. Is it worth the effort if I only plan to go from anchorage to anchorage. Or are they strict about it, in which case I don't mind playing by their rules. Some countries don't seem to mind cruisers passing through while others do, so any info/experience would be appreciated.

I do plan to clear into Mexico because there is a lot more coast and I will probably stay a bit longer.

Thanks,
Austin
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2022, 08:47   #2

Re: Coastal Hop Panama to California Formalities: Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Salvador.

Please visit noonsite.com.
SV_Galateia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2022, 08:47   #3

Boat: EDELCAT33
Re: Coastal Hop Panama to California Formalities: Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Salvador.

The good news is that you will be in the safer side of Central America. The pacific coast mostly play by the rules, the Atlantic side is a big NO! As most of the drug traffickers use that corridor.

In any of these countries getting the Zarpe may not be straightforward. It has been a while so my info may be old. If you have to stop in Nicaragua is my experience that San Juan del Sur may be preferable as it has proven logistics with Rivas and Managua in case they get cute and make you go to either place to clear the country.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2022, 11:41   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

Last year I stopped only in Panama, Costa Rica, and Mexico. I had an agent in Panama for the canal, but otherwise would have been easy to clear in/out. Costa Rica was ridiculously expensive. $500 to clear in, and agent is mandatory, or the officials won't talk to you. Same for clearing out, except for one port (Playa de Coco) that will allow you to clear out on your own. I would suggest a boycott of the country until they realize that $500 or $1000 to clear in/out just isn't acceptable. Otherwise, neighboring countries will follow suit.
You might be able to stop at remote anchorages without clearing in, but you will not be able to get fuel.
Old 25-11-2022, 09:30   #5

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA

Wow, that’s crazy. I will definitely make attempts to avoid Costa Rica. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Last year I stopped only in Panama, Costa Rica, and Mexico. I had an agent in Panama for the canal, but otherwise would have been easy to clear in/out. Costa Rica was ridiculously expensive. $500 to clear in, and agent is mandatory, or the officials won't talk to you. Same for clearing out, except for one port (Playa de Coco) that will allow you to clear out on your own. I would suggest a boycott of the country until they realize that $500 or $1000 to clear in/out just isn't acceptable. Otherwise, neighboring countries will follow suit.
You might be able to stop at remote anchorages without clearing in, but you will not be able to get fuel.
theway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama