Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2018, 16:30   #31
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Cannabis and International Travel

They just ask.

If they (then or later) know you lied, not just can they ban you but it is in itself a chargeable offense.
Old 17-10-2018, 17:37   #32

Boat: Hunter 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStardust View Post
Cannabis is legal to buy in Washington state, as well as Canada, so people crossing between BC/Vancuover Island to say the San Juans/Seattle pass from one legalised area to another, yet the customs state it is illegal to carry Cannabis across the border. There are also signs at Vancouver Airport stating the same...
It doesn’t matter what State law says. Federal law is in effect at the border. Currently, US federal law prohibits the possession of marijuana.
Old 17-10-2018, 17:51   #33

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterling View Post
It doesn’t matter what State law says. Federal law is in effect at the border. Currently, US federal law prohibits the possession of marijuana.
Old 17-10-2018, 19:18   #34

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

If you are going to travel with weed, simplify the process. Take a vape pen and thc oil.
To all those saying it's stupid to travel with weed, I somewhat agree, but the actual stupidity lies with the fact that a non lethal plant flower is illegal.
Old 17-10-2018, 19:42   #35

Boat: Bristol 35.5

but a quart of vodka is fine..
Old 17-10-2018, 20:02   #36

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Puget View Post
Another reason to vote in November and begin to end the incompetent, dishonest administration.
What part of the US Coast Guard drug interdiction program, right or wrong, was instituted by the current administration?

Are you saying that drug enforcement and asset seizure was not conducted by the feds under the Obama administration?

Interesting.
Old 18-10-2018, 03:03   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3sailor View Post
... There are only a handful [actually 2] of countries that have legalized marijuana...
...It's just prudent to not have the stuff in your possession when leaving your home ...
Uruguay and Canada are the only countries that have fully legalized the consumption and sale of recreational cannabis nationwide.
Countries that have legalized the medical use of cannabis include Australia, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Germany, Greece, Israel, Italy, the Netherlands, Peru, Poland, Sri Lanka and the United Kingdom (effective November 1, 2018).
Others have more restrictive laws that only allow the use of certain cannabinoid drugs, such as Sativex or Marinol.
In the United States, 31 states and the District of Columbia have legalized the medical use of cannabis, but at the federal level its use remains prohibited for any purpose.

Old 18-10-2018, 04:55   #38

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
but a quart of vodka is fine..
Crazy, innit? When I was a paramedic the majority of our business could be traced in some way to alcohol. On the other hand, as my partner was fond of saying, "I never ran a call where a guy smoked a joint and beat up his girlfriend". I wonder how many here who disparage marijuana on board think nothing of having a beer or 2.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
Old 18-10-2018, 05:31   #39

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStardust View Post
Cannabis is legal to buy in Washington state, as well as Canada, so people crossing between BC/Vancuover Island to say the San Juans/Seattle pass from one legalised area to another, yet the customs state it is illegal to carry Cannabis across the border. There are also signs at Vancouver Airport stating the same.
My advice is not to risk it, they may take your boat off you, it's scary enough going through with all the correct documentation if you're a foreigner.

PS I just remembered that it was explained to me that in Washington state regulations only apply on land once you are afloat you are under the rules of the Coastguard, and I don't think they recognise Washington's laws. A crazy system if you ask me.
Still illegal at the Federal level. I wouldnt risk it where any USA Federal law enforcement are involved...and thats all borders.
Old 18-10-2018, 07:41   #40

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Crazy, innit? When I was a paramedic the majority of our business could be traced in some way to alcohol. On the other hand, as my partner was fond of saying, "I never ran a call where a guy smoked a joint and beat up his girlfriend". I wonder how many here who disparage marijuana on board think nothing of having a beer or 2.

As an ER Nurse, I would hope that a paramedic would understand that both weed and alcohol are psychoactive drugs which effect mental processes and cognition when taken. The fact that you haven't seen a girlfriend beat up doesn't negate the effects weed has on the ability to process thoughts clearly.

In addition, since weed isn't as accessible as alcohol, we don't know the full ramifications. Canada will be the first large scale country to allow recreational use. Let see if their DWI, unemployment, homeless, psych patients and accident rates go up.

Just a few numbers from the poster child state of Colorado since legalizing weed.

Homeless rate increased 13%
DWI Deaths where weed was in the drivers blood increased 145%
Accident rates increased 3%

All of which have a negative impact on society! Canada don't bring your weed to the US! We have enough problems coming from our southern border.
Old 18-10-2018, 08:00   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Still illegal at the Federal level. I wouldnt risk it where any USA Federal law enforcement are involved...and thats all borders.

add to that
even the slightest morsel can be found by dogs trained to seek it out, and once you get a black mark on your passport it will be there forever.

Then who knows, some bent cop or official in some tin pot country wants to make a name for himself, its not like its never happened
Old 18-10-2018, 08:01   #42

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
before colorado woke up, the mayor on st patty's day told the police dept. do not arrest anyone for weed today, they're the only one's who don't fight..
and as for how how it affects one's abilities.. you do not want to play a game of pool with me after i've had a few hits. focus is incredible.
Old 18-10-2018, 08:16   #43

Boat: MacGregor 26

And as an ER Doctor I am all for legalizing MJ. Way less opioid use when people use MJ. People do not neglect their kids when injecting MJ, they don’t pimp out their six year old so they can snort a line of MJ.

Of course MJ in the blood from accidents went up. That’s reflecting the use increasing. You cannot claim that the accidents were caused by MJ in blood. What percentage of those homeless simply migrated to CO for the weed? Is it your claim that legalizing MJ caused a ton of people to become homeless? Are you serious? Stop throwing around random stats and implying causation that cannot be proven.

Opioid deaths are down 25% in states that have some form of MJ legal.

We have bigger fish to fry. Let the people have their ganja. It’s not a morality issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellBack89 View Post
As an ER Nurse, I would hope that a paramedic would understand that both weed and alcohol are psychoactive drugs which effect mental processes and cognition when taken. The fact that you haven't seen a girlfriend beat up doesn't negate the effects weed has on the ability to process thoughts clearly.

In addition, since weed isn't as accessible as alcohol, we don't know the full ramifications. Canada will be the first large scale country to allow recreational use. Let see if their DWI, unemployment, homeless, psych patients and accident rates go up.

Just a few numbers from the poster child state of Colorado since legalizing weed.

Homeless rate increased 13%
DWI Deaths where weed was in the drivers blood increased 145%
Accident rates increased 3%

All of which have a negative impact on society! Canada don't bring your weed to the US! We have enough problems coming from our southern border.
Old 19-10-2018, 04:25   #44

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdoc View Post
And as an ER Doctor I am all for legalizing MJ. Way less opioid use when people use MJ. People do not neglect their kids when injecting MJ, they don’t pimp out their six year old so they can snort a line of MJ.

We have bigger fish to fry. Let the people have their ganja. It’s not a morality issue.
OORAH Doc!
Old 19-10-2018, 04:58   #45

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I agree with Hoosier Doc and haven't smoked weed in 20 years. Completely drug and alcohol free.

I don't enjoy all the pro weed BS and seeing everyone in the world on my Instagram think it's so cool that they share a video of every hit. I'll be happy when it's as boring as having a beer.

I always thought the Canadian Border Wall would be more like this...

Great Wall of Canada - Americans Keep Out

Ha ha ha
Closed Thread