Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2018, 04:57   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Cannabis and International Travel

The government of Canada has started warning travelers, on its website*, that "previous use of cannabis, or any substance prohibited by U.S. federal laws, could mean that you are denied entry to the U.S." Involvement in the legal cannabis industry in Canada could also be reason enough for border guards to deny entry.

* Government of Canada ➥ https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/cann...854.1529514899

More:

5 things about international travel when cannabis becomes legalhttps://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitch...avel-1.4860241

U.S. border patrol warns 'amnesty' for pot convictions doesn't guarantee entry ➥ https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/tas...abis-1.4865431

Cannabis is legal in Canada — here's what you need to know ➥ https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/marij...know-1.4862207

Old 17-10-2018, 05:01   #2

Boat: MacGregor 26
Re: Cannabis and International Travel

*could* mean. As if the border patrol is going to ask you to piss in a cup to come back home.

No worries.

Maybe they’ll make a big push to show dogs sniffing cars for a few weeks. Maybe trump is going to announce plans to decriminalize it federally as part of the USMCA
Old 17-10-2018, 05:21   #3

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

United
States
Marine
Corps
Association?
Old 17-10-2018, 06:21   #4

USMCA = NAFTA II

US Mexico Canada Agreement
Old 17-10-2018, 07:25   #5

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
United
States
Marine
Corps
Association?
United
States
Marine
Corps
A?

They spelled "eh?" wrong.

goat
Old 17-10-2018, 07:37   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Note the warnings seem to pertain only to Canadian citizens with past canibus history entering the US. This does not prevent a US citizen from returning.

BTW, possession in most Caribbean nations is bad pizza. Far worse than possession in the US. I’m sure it’s out there but we don’t smell it on the streets even at night.
Old 17-10-2018, 07:41   #7

Boat: MacGregor 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
United
States
Marine
Corps
A?

They spelled "eh?" wrong.

goat
Right? US Mexico Canada agreement, replacement of NAFTA.

If you need ganja and plan eh doesn’t work, just point south to Jamaica mon
Old 17-10-2018, 08:31   #8

Boat: Tashiba 40, Robert (Bob) Perry design. Long keel cutter

Cannabis is legal to buy in Washington state, as well as Canada, so people crossing between BC/Vancuover Island to say the San Juans/Seattle pass from one legalised area to another, yet the customs state it is illegal to carry Cannabis across the border. There are also signs at Vancouver Airport stating the same.
My advice is not to risk it, they may take your boat off you, it's scary enough going through with all the correct documentation if you're a foreigner.

PS I just remembered that it was explained to me that in Washington state regulations only apply on land once you are afloat you are under the rules of the Coastguard, and I don't think they recognise Washington's laws. A crazy system if you ask me.
Old 17-10-2018, 08:48   #9

Boat: C&C 37

If you work in the cannabis industry in Canada you are OK to enter the USA - just NEVER admit that you have ever used cannabis, even if it was 20 years ago!! And NEVER have any in your possession when crossing the border - by land, sea or air (or walking).
Old 17-10-2018, 08:50   #10

in my own region they tie u to a stake and shoot u
Old 17-10-2018, 08:56   #11

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

Once you're on the water, state laws will not apply. US law says cannabis is still illegal. What's more, on the water there is a "zero tolerance" policy. They can (and will) seize your boat, with ANY weed (or other illegal drug) aboard. I've heard horror stories about this. No recourse, no trial, seizure is final and irrevocable (boarder patrol, customs and USCG operate on some different terms). My advice: keep your boat clean in the U.S. and even cleaner elsewhere, where they may or may not have even more stringent laws.
Old 17-10-2018, 08:59   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I got stopped by the Dutch Marchausee (Coast Guard and Immigration) with my family on board. After a search, they produced 3 grams of cannabis, asking if I had any more.

Then the officer asked what my kids thought about the weed he was holding.

I told him, I thought it was the first time they ever saw it.

First time the authorities had my stash and gave it back.

...and "no" I wasn't under the influence at the time.
Old 17-10-2018, 09:08   #13

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStardust View Post
Cannabis is legal to buy in Washington state, as well as Canada, so people crossing between BC/Vancuover Island to say the San Juans/Seattle pass from one legalised area to another, yet the customs state it is illegal to carry Cannabis across the border. There are also signs at Vancouver Airport stating the same.
My advice is not to risk it, they may take your boat off you, it's scary enough going through with all the correct documentation if you're a foreigner.

I can’t remember the last time US customs actually searched my luggage when coming back into the country via an airport. Has to be at least 25 years ago. It’s important to remember that DHS and customs are different agencies with different missions. DHS could generally give a fig if they find a personal amount of a cannabis product on you unless it’s part of an explosive device.

That said, in my experience every airport, every port of entry is different, even within the same country. It’s best to err on the side of caution unless there is some documented pattern of laxity (like flying out of Colorado to a domestic destination). Even then there is always risk.

I would certainly not risk it on a boat. Most insurance policies have exclusions regarding vessel confiscation. All it takes is a customs officer having a bad day ...
Old 17-10-2018, 09:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pma_foyl View Post
Once you're on the water, state laws will not apply. US law says cannabis is still illegal. What's more, on the water there is a "zero tolerance" policy. They can (and will) seize your boat, with ANY weed (or other illegal drug) aboard. I've heard horror stories about this. No recourse, no trial, seizure is final and irrevocable (boarder patrol, customs and USCG operate on some different terms). My advice: keep your boat clean in the U.S. and even cleaner elsewhere, where they may or may not have even more stringent laws.
This is true,USCG goes by Federal law not by any state. Until something is done to decriminalize it by federal standards the Coast Guard will abide by federal law where it is illegal in a zero-tolerance amount because of the drug smuggling trade. and I also have heard horror stories where a guy had a half million dollar boat, took a few buddies out fishing and they got caught with a half a joint and the man lost his boat! now if you were in a $500 boat they might not waste their time. But it's all about the money so if they see something nice they can seize and flip it for profit they definitely will do it
Old 17-10-2018, 09:33   #15

Just best to leave the stuff at home, why risk it?
Closed Thread