Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2003, 06:26   #1

Question canadian citizens owning american boat

My husband and I recently purchased a boat in North Carolina, although we live in Ontario, Canada. We want to be cruising soon, traveling to Europe, around the Med. and perhaps elsewhere... Importing the boat to Canada is not an option since we don't want to pay the duty and taxes associated with importing a British made boat into the country.
Does anyone know about minimizing the red tape involved with Canadian citizens owning an American registered boat? What kinds of possible complications can we expect? What sorts of "special" things are required while traveling in international waters? We're experiencing an identity crisis...
Any advice on this situation will be greatly appreciated.
cheers,
-sara-
S/V Madeline
sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2003, 06:50   #2

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
Sara,

What a coincidence.I live in NC. I think I have a solution to your problem.....transfer the title of the boat over to me. I'll take care of her for you,and you guys can sail her when it's convenient for me Of course I'm just kidding. I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about the legalities in this situation.Hopefully there are others here that can really be helpful. Good luck!
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2003, 11:29   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Canadian/American

Foreign ports usually will not except state registration as the proper papers for the vessel. Documentation is the best thing but to doc. a US vessel you need to be a US citizen. This site has all the info for documentation.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/gm/vdoc/nvdc.htm

If you plan to travel to overseas ports you may just have to bit the bullet and pay the Canadain fees. Having your paperwork in order is real important. Sailnet just recently had an artical on entering foreign water. I would recommend reading that for some good info.

http://www.sailnet.com/collections/a...6%20%20&tfr=fp

Fair seas.............................................. ..._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2003, 13:11   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
US Boat /w Cdn Crew

I'm not a lawyer, so "salt" liberally:

I've known several Canadians that cruise US registered boats through the Bahamas and Virgins (USVI & BVI).

They reported no difficulties due to non-documented ships papers, nor the mismatch of registration & citizenship.

What you DO need is:
Good proof of identity & citizenship.
Good proof of ownership & registration.

OMO
Regards,

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2003, 05:59   #5

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Good News

There are specific requirements for registering a boat in Canada, but having paid the duty and taxes is not one of them, as far as I know.

Duty and taxes are required to enjoy a product in Canada. The feds who register your yacht have little to do with those people who collect those funds.

I have a friend who bought an American C&C 48 Landfall, sailed it back to Canada under special license and had it repaired by Canadian workers. He only had to agree that he would not "enjoy" the boat in Canadian waters and would leave after repairs were done. Registration was not a problem.

There are other Canadians with boats on Lake Champlain who have special permission to even store their boats in Canada, without paying the duty and taxes, as long as they leave for the American end of the system each Spring. Again, I have been led to understand they can register in Canada.

Me, I wanted to enjoy my French-made and registered boat in Canada, and stayed totally above-board, paying a fortune. Don't blame you at all, and neither will most of the Transport Canada people you talk to.

Contact your local officials and ask questions - Department of Transport Canada, Office of Ship Registry. Hopefully, you will receive pleasant news. Try these sites:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/acts-regulations...43/csa443.html

http://www.tc.gc.ca/MarineSafety/TP/...appendix-a.htm
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote