Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2020, 06:46   #16

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Canada Radio Station License

Keep in mind, for those in the US and Canada, if you never plan to leave the country with the boat, you don't need to pay the fee. In the US, you can get a free MMSI from BoatUS if desired, it just doesn't go into the international database.

Basically, the licensing and fee is mostly because lots of countries expect you to be licensed, not necessarily because your own country wants it. And of course they have to charge something, as it requires infrastructure and effort on their part to license you.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 07:17   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

In Canada, complete (international) MMSI numbers are issued free of charge. Based on my recollection, and a quick Transport Canada search, I don't believe they are contingent on having a radio station license. Nor is it required for the EPIRB system, or to support to the Canadian component of the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS).
Old 22-02-2020, 07:44   #18
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by eheffa View Post
Thank you for the comments everyone.

I think that in balance it makes sense to continue to pay the annual fee (as unjustified as it seems...)

But the thought that I could use it as a business expense is intriguing... After all, I should be prepared, just in case, to use my radio to provide medical advice ;-)

-evan
I hope Canadian tax laws let you do that. Here in the US, after the recent Tax Cut for the Rich (2018 Tax Reform and Job Act), current tax law no longer allows writing off unreimbursed employee expenses. So all the craftsmen who are not independent contractors but who have to buy their own tools, uniforms, etc. are no longer able to claim those expenses as tax deductions. So much for helping the working man.

The requirements for station and operator radio licenses is spelled out in international treaties. So while the US can exempt maritime stations and operators from licensing in its own waters (which it did to get recreational boaters off the Citizens Band - where they died waiting for rescue while other CBers wondered why they were shouting about a communist holiday - and onto the VHF marine band - where they often behave like they are still on the Citizens Band) -- the moment those vessels cross a border, they have to be licensed to comply with treaties.

It's never been clear to me what the law requires when an unlicensed US station is in international waters and that vessel communicates with another vessel with a foreign flag. The regulations say you must have a license if communicating with "foreign stations." Since I've always had a license, I haven't delved into it. But I doubt the FCC is going to dispatch enforcers to repel from a helicopter at sea. The FCC seems to be too busy auctioning off public radio spectrum to bother with enforcing its own rules when there aren't big fines to extracted.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 04:42   #19

Boat: Albin 25

Not fun to have my forum browsing experience brought down by nasty irrelevant anti-Trudeau political bullsh1t.
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 07:26   #20

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetrider View Post
Not fun to have my forum browsing experience brought down by nasty irrelevant anti-Trudeau political bullsh1t.
Mostly all we hear about here is boring American politics. At least this annoying post counts as Canadian content. The CRTC would be happy. .
Old 12-04-2020, 13:18   #21

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran

I paid the annual fee for a number of years. Then one year I received a letter from the Dept of Transport as it was called then saying it was being suspended. It was so long ago that the Minister's signature was Judy LaMarsh.
Old 12-04-2020, 13:32   #22

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Never mind the station license how many have an operator's license. I stopped paying for the station license when it stopped being mandatory. I still have an operator's license, no annual renewal on that.
Old 12-04-2020, 14:02   #23

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetrider View Post
Chill and enjoy some music:
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 14:53   #24

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran

Yes I still have my original operators licence. I took the course from the Power Squadron I believe in 1968. The paper certificate is still hanging in although a little tattered around the edges.

Tags
Canada, license, radio