Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2021, 14:01   #46

Re: Canada Luxury tax on boats postponed

You have to agree that even just 50 years ago, taxes on individual earners have were much lower than now. A typical tradesman could support a family. But now it seems to take two. Now we have the addition of carbon taxes on top of pre-existing taxes.
Dieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 14:11   #47
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Canada Luxury tax on boats postponed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
You have to agree that even just 50 years ago, taxes on individual earners have were much lower than now. A typical tradesman could support a family. But now it seems to take two. Now we have the addition of carbon taxes on top of pre-existing taxes.

Certainly where I live that self same tradesman , today , benefits from free or subsidised healthcare , their kids will get free secondary and third level education. They live with far more emphasis on workplace safety largely due to significant state oversight. The roads are safer and better engineered. The cities benefiting from cleaner air , clean water and dolphins seen in our local estuaries

“ good” costs.
Old 24-12-2021, 14:28   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
B Hunter said: "Government should level the play field not be a player."

And how, precisely, would "government" do that, in your opinion? Isn't
"levelling the playing field" just precisely that the Canadian Tax Regime strives to do?

Lest you comment should mislead non-Canadians: We need to acknowledge that "Health and Welfare" is quite specifically a responsibility assigned to the PROVINCES. All the federal government does in terms of allocating funds for Health'n'Welfare in the provinces is make a "transfer payment" from the General Revenue Fund (your taxes and mine) to the provinces for them to reallocate to services as their particular governments see fit.

If you have a complaint about that allocation, e.g. if you think funds allocated to, oh say, cancer prevention and treatment are deficient, then YOUR remedy - readily to hand - is to get active in the Constituency Association of the Political Party of your choice. That, of course, is the glory of living in a "democracy" And it is part, but only a part, of the reason that the quality of services appears to differ so greatly between British Columbia and, say, Alberta and Ontario.

Please also, when you expound on the Canadian Tax Regime, make sure that you bring to the attention of non-Canadians that the NOMINAL (income) tax rates for the sundry "tax brackets" is NOT what the individual tax payer actually pays. The vast majority of Canadians pay NO federal income tax, or they are in the lowest "bracket". I have rarely seen a T1-Return for an "ordinary Canadian" with an actual Tax Payable of even as much as 16% of Taxable Income! And for most Canadians TI is, as I'm sure you know, rather less than "take home pay", let alone Gross Income!

So perhaps we may take a lesson from the Analects of Confucius: "When using words, all that matters is that truth be told"

Best of the Season to ye all :-)!

TrentePieds
Leveling the play field is by creating legislation against monopolies, against corruption, licensing professionals etc.
A country as rich as ours should have enough income from natural resources to pay for whatever we need.

The high taxes and the are the reason why with the most educated work force in the world we Still have an economy that is natural resources based. Why do you thing Elon Musk left Canada and moved south?

Democracy is not a justification for every thing. Some terrible things were done in a democratic manner, there is something called the "dictatorship of the majority".

If all your neighbors decide to take you new car, is it democracy or just stealing?
B_Hunter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 17:26   #49

Boat: W. Atkins "Margery Daw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey877 View Post
Not so. The marginal rate of tax on the last dollar of income they earn may be 40%, but the overall tax rate on their total income is much less. No tax is paid on the first 15K or so and and the marginal rate ramps up from there.

You make a very good point.

And furthermore, 40% of Canadians do not pay any net income tax.

I.E. the income tax they are charged is more than offset by the direct contributions from government that they receive.
The past two years have been spectacular for these people...
Russ L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 17:34   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ L View Post
You make a very good point.

And furthermore, 40% of Canadians do not pay any net income tax.

I.E. the income tax they are charged is more than offset by the direct contributions from government that they receive.

The government makes zero ... absolutely zero contributions !
They simply remove from my pocket and give it to those most
likely to vote for them.
Old 24-12-2021, 17:45   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
likely to vote for them.
Well said!
Old 24-12-2021, 18:21   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Hunter45 View Post
Leveling the play field is by creating legislation against monopolies, against corruption, licensing professionals etc.
A country as rich as ours should have enough income from natural resources to pay for whatever we need.

The high taxes and the are the reason why with the most educated work force in the world we Still have an economy that is natural resources based. Why do you thing Elon Musk left Canada and moved south?

Democracy is not a justification for every thing. Some terrible things were done in a democratic manner, there is something called the "dictatorship of the majority".

If all your neighbors decide to take you new car, is it democracy or just stealing?
As Churchill apocryphally said, “democracy is the worst form of government – except for all the others that have been tried.” if you're anti-democracy, then what is your superior solution?
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 18:24   #53
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
As Churchill apocryphally said, “democracy is the worst form of government – except for all the others that have been tried.” if you're anti-democracy, then what is your superior solution?
I am not anti-democracy but I am disgusted with politicians.
We desperately need term limits at every level.
We desperately need recall legislation at every level.

The reasons should be self explanatory.
Old 24-12-2021, 18:35   #54

Quote:
Democracy is when the people are governed by those who can talk and not by those who can do. Look at our politicians, are they the smartest people you know?
Plato wrote about the dictatorship of the wise, this is a very utopian concept. But democracy as we practice today is not helping us. In practice we are controlled by a small group of powerful people that were not elected but they use their wealth to control the outcome of the democratic process. The high taxes are to deny people from social mobility, if I can't save enough to start a business I will never get rich. The rich ones don't worry about high taxes, they control those who write the laws and if their taxes go up the prices we pay for goods and services follows.
The fact that most people can't see that amazes me.
Do I have a better system, not really, but I would change a few things in our system. The first thing would be that one can't be a professional politician, after 10 years living on the tax payer's money one has to find a real job! Let's start with that.
Old 24-12-2021, 18:48   #55

Boat: W. Atkins "Margery Daw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
likely to vote for them.

To restate the obvious... if the government takes from me and gives to someone else, that someone else gets a contribution.

The contribution didn't come directly from me as a taxpayer, it came from the government agency as their direct contribution.

Try to bypass the process if you dare!
Russ L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 18:51   #56

Quote:
To restate the obvious... if the government takes from me and gives to someone else, that someone else gets a contribution.

The contribution didn't come directly from me as a taxpayer, it came from the government agency as their direct contribution.

Try to bypass the process if you dare!
This process is so inefficient, Practically most of the money goes to support the "system".
Old 24-12-2021, 18:54   #57
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

To restate the obvious ... Neither government nor any "government agency" has any money simply the power to redistribute others money ... primarily to their benefit in vote buying.
Old 24-12-2021, 19:21   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Hunter45 View Post
Democracy is when the people are governed by those who can talk and not by those who can do. Look at our politicians, are they the smartest people you know?
Plato wrote about the dictatorship of the wise, this is a very utopian concept. But democracy as we practice today is not helping us. In practice we are controlled by a small group of powerful people that were not elected but they use their wealth to control the outcome of the democratic process. The high taxes are to deny people from social mobility, if I can't save enough to start a business I will never get rich. The rich ones don't worry about high taxes, they control those who write the laws and if their taxes go up the prices we pay for goods and services follows.
The fact that most people can't see that amazes me.
Do I have a better system, not really, but I would change a few things in our system. The first thing would be that one can't be a professional politician, after 10 years living on the tax payer's money one has to find a real job! Let's start with that.

"Even today, there is little value in insuring the survival of our nation if our traditions do not survive with it." President John F. Kennedy
Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, New York City, April 27, 1961

Spoken by an American President 60 years ago, but applicable to any democratic nation today.
Dieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2021, 19:54   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
"Even today, there is little value in insuring the survival of our nation if our traditions do not survive with it." President John F. Kennedy
Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, New York City, April 27, 1961

Spoken by an American President 60 years ago, but applicable to any democratic nation today.
Af far as I remember the founding fathers of the USA and Canada were NOT professional politicians. Our problem is the addiction of people that didn't succeed in anything else try to runout lives.
Old 24-12-2021, 20:14   #60

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Short term? A dictatorship run by me. Problem is who’s next? This is not new. Rome had both, and both sometimes worked, and sometimes failed.

In the long term over 500 years, seems none work. Humans ruin anything good for greed. We are destined to do so.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Canada