Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2021, 12:58   #1

Can anyone name the countries they've been to where boat insurance was not required?

Can anyone name the countries they've been to where boat insurance was not required?

So far I've learned that the United States, Canada and New Zealand don't require boat insurance and that in some places like the Azores you can get liability insurance upon arrival but I haven't learned of any more countries that don't require boat insurance.
dusblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 13:17   #2

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Can anyone name the countries they've been to where boat insurance was not requir

Insurance for what purpose? In Canada, all marinas and clubs require at least 2M liability.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 13:17   #3

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Can anyone name the countries they've been to where boat insurance was not requir

Most countrie on the typical cruisers paths in the Carib, Pacific or Indian Ocean do not require insurance. Malaysia requires insurance to clear in, Seychelles requires it after 39 days and Australian marinas require a higher liability coverage than anywhere else, Many marinas in all countries absolutely require insurance.
Old 02-09-2021, 13:33   #4

I've read stories of people who lost their insurance or couldn't keep it when they were sailing across an ocean but as soon as they can get it again after an ocean passage they will but obviously they can't be headed towards a country that requires insurance to clear in.
dusblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 13:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusblo View Post
I've read stories of people who lost their insurance or couldn't keep it when they were sailing across an ocean but as soon as they can get it again after an ocean passage they will but obviously they can't be headed towards a country that requires insurance to clear in.
If this were the case, then you would need to have something lined up ahead of time.

This is a weird, backwards way of approaching something. Rather than build a list of countries that don't require insurance, simply build a list of countries you want to visit and then research the requirements for entry and satisfy them.
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 13:43   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Insurance for what purpose? In Canada, all marinas and clubs require at least 2M liability.
Not all, but probably most. But they only require it for long-term usage. I've never been asked to produce insurance for transient dockage anywhere I've traveled in Canada.
Old 02-09-2021, 13:48   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Not all, but probably most. But they only require it for long-term usage. I've never been asked to produce insurance for transient dockage anywhere I've traveled in Canada.
and ... it is not a legal requirement.
Old 02-09-2021, 13:57   #8

Boat: Outremer 50S

I suspect we may begin to see more countries begin to ask for environmental/wreck removal insurance, but in 4 years from 2016-2020 (and in all our prior sailing) we were never asked for insurance by government officials other than in Mexico. Milk Run by way of South Africa. Not one request when checking in.

St. Helena did require medical evacuation insurance (which could be purchased there). We don't stay in marinas much, but pretty much all of them require third-party liability coverage.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 14:12   #9

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

I've entered 2 dozen countries by boat and none of them required insurance.

Also, it is important to distinguish between comprehensive and liability insurance. In the USA, most (all) marinas now require proof of liability insurance. I suspect it is the same in other countries where marinas require insurance. Liability insurance costs me about $200/year whereas Comprehensive insurance (which will replace or repair your vessel in case of a claim) would cost me close to $10,000/year (which is why I don't have it).
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 14:23   #10

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

as a country australia does not require insurance for recreational craft.

however most marinas & boatyards will...

cheers,
Old 02-09-2021, 15:25   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I think that the question needs to be rephrased to ask what countries require insurance in order to clear in. I haven't been to one of those countries yet and can't think of any (except Polynesia, and then only for non-EU boats), but lots of marinas will ask for proof of liability insurance.
I only carry liability insurance, and it is quite inexpensive in the grand scheme of things. Considering that some countries like the USA can (rather arbitrarily) fine a boat owner hundreds of thousands of dollars for leaked diesel from a sunken boat then tack on costs for wreck removal there's no reason not to fork out the cost of a couple of nights out on the town for liability insurance.
I'm currently in a marina in St. Lucia (Rodney Bay) and apart from all the COVID stuff all I needed was a credit card and a photocopy of my liability insurance to dock
Old 02-09-2021, 16:56   #12

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

My marina’s new contract requires comprehensive insurance and workman’s compensation insurance. On a private boat without crew! Ha ha ha.

I was just blown away by the incompetence of the attorney
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 17:32   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Cuba, Bahamas, Canada--none of these required insurance to check in.
One marina in Mex. asked for it. One marina in Massachusetts.
Nobody else ever.
Old 02-09-2021, 17:55   #14

I am mystified by the people who claim that "every" marina demands to see proof of insurance. I suspect that these people do not actually GO anywhere, and just assume since their home marina requires insurance every other marina must as well. Or they are just making stuff up.

In our travels for years from the Canadian Maritimes, up and down the east coast of the USA, through the Bahamas, and the western Caribbean, we have found roughly half of marinas ask us as transients for insurance. Many of those who "require" it don't actually ask to see any proof, but just ask for the name of the carrier.

We have also come across a very few who require hull insurance in addition to liability.

We do carry full international hull and liability coverage, so it's not an issue for us, but the misinformation is real.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 20:08   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Mexico requires liability insurance issued by Mexican company. Whether a marina asks for it doesn’t mean it is not a requirement
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, insurance