Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2010, 00:57   #1

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico - Anchoring, Mooring, Slips

I'm going to Cabo San Lucas in Mexico in less than a month. Does anyone know if I can anchor a boat for free or moor a boat for free or cheap? Do they have specified anchoring areas?

Are slips expensive?

Thanks,
james
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 04:42   #2

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
The anchorage at Cabo is extremely noisy and choppy due to all the boat traffic, waterbound thrill seekers(whizzing by with mere inches to spare),and is totally exposed to southerly winds.At night loud entertainment goes on till all hours.A nominal fee is supposed to be paid by the day,though I'm sure many don't.The marina charges about $100. per night!Get in and get out.Lapaz is more cruiser friendly,marina is about $35.per night,and has large anchoring area.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 04:59   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Take a look at the First Time Cruiser's Guide to Mexico at Baja Ha-Ha Cruisers Rally: Sailing from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 15:44   #4

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982
Cabo San Lucas

JamesG - I would second the recommendation of heading to La Paz if you are considering long term mooring. As mentioned, the anchorage outside of the harbor in Cabo is exposed to weather out of the south. It's not a roadstead that I would be comfortable leaving a boat, unattended, for very long.

Slip fees in Cabo are some of the highest in Mexico. Short term slip fees for our 39' sailboat were $145 U.S. per night (June, 2009) and that was at a discounted rate. The staff is excellent and the restrooms and laudry facilities are adequate. It caters to the mega-fishing machines but is economic death to cruisers on limited budgets.

Good luck and have a good time cruising!
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 16:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Take a look at the First Time Cruiser's Guide to Mexico at Baja Ha-Ha Cruisers Rally: Sailing from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by neophytecruiser View Post
JamesG - I would second the recommendation of heading to La Paz if you are considering long term mooring. As mentioned, the anchorage outside of the harbor in Cabo is exposed to weather out of the south. It's not a roadstead that I would be comfortable leaving a boat, unattended, for very long.

Slip fees in Cabo are some of the highest in Mexico. Short term slip fees for our 39' sailboat were $145 U.S. per night (June, 2009) and that was at a discounted rate. The staff is excellent and the restrooms and laudry facilities are adequate. It caters to the mega-fishing machines but is economic death to cruisers on limited budgets.

Good luck and have a good time cruising!
I'll probably be in cabo for 2-3 months. Unfortunately, this is where i have to be. Its too bad its not more protected from the south. Are those south swells/south weather pretty common?

When you say a nominal fee for anchoring does that mean a few bucks per day?

Oh yeah, during bad weather from the south do they allow boats to anchor in the bay/marina area? or at least motor around?

-james
Old 22-01-2010, 16:44   #6

Boat: Islander 36
Consider San Jose Del Cabo, if you can be within 45 min drive of Cabo San Lucas. I think it actually shorter than that, but my memory fades. Much cheaper and quite nice, new marina. Construction wasn't even finished when I went thru 2 years ago. Not the lively town that Cabo is, but you can get there quickly enough.
Old 22-01-2010, 16:47   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
the anchorage in Cabo is a zoo. You'll have booze cruise boats circling you after sundown every night, speakers blasting on full thump. And during the day it's going to be constant wakes from the pangas and the jet skis.

is San Jose del Cabo an option? There's a new marina that isn't full yet. I was there less than a month ago and it looked pretty nice. One drawback is that the new road is still being built, and the old road at this point is all washboards and potholes. Takes a good 15 minutes to get from the marina to the paved road.
Old 22-01-2010, 22:27   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
....Consider San Jose Del Cabo,....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
...is San Jose del Cabo an option?...

I'm going down to Cabo to build a concert stage/modular barge, so my only options are anchoring and mooring. If all i had were a regular boat i would definitely put it in the marina at San Jose Cabo.

How does this look for an anchorage? Is it as noisy and crazy there during spring break?

Interactive Map- (you'll have to zoom in)

Feel free to ad your own place-marks if it will let you.

-james
Old 09-03-2010, 10:10   #9

Anchoring, Cabo San Lucas

I recently did the Baja Ha-Ha. Cabo San Lucas anchoring was free but sometimes they might charge a few dollars. Panga rides to the marina are about $3-4 each way. The dinghy dock per day is $4.00. I did a documentary of the 2009 event. You can see video here Baja Ha-Ha . Have to apply a password "baja2009". It has some tips on Cabo and anchoring.
Sail444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 15:26   #10

Boat: Tayana 37, Farallon 25, Tahiti 16
Got hit up for $11.00 per day to anchor out way down from the Harbor. Down where Charlies Charts showed to anchor. I said no thank You and anchored around the next point for free with WiFi. Thats where this post is comming from. Cabo is a rip-off. Fuel is OK. I paid $3.10 per gal and they have a nice fuel dock. Get in fuel up and top off water and get out or open your wallet and pay pay pay!!!
Rearsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 07:51   #11

Boat: Tayana 37, Farallon 25, Tahiti 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
The anchorage at Cabo is extremely noisy and choppy due to all the boat traffic, waterbound thrill seekers(whizzing by with mere inches to spare),and is totally exposed to southerly winds.At night loud entertainment goes on till all hours.A nominal fee is supposed to be paid by the day,though I'm sure many don't.The marina charges about $100. per night!Get in and get out.Lapaz is more cruiser friendly,marina is about $35.per night,and has large anchoring area.
The marina fee for a 40' boat is $120 per day.
Rearsteer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, Mexico, mooring