Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2019, 04:26   #1

Buying uk boat in Spain

Hi,

I’m looking to buy a small boat (6 metre) that is uk ssr registered in Spain.

I’m not worried about the security of the purchase as I know the uk owners. I’m a uk registered resident.

My question is how long can the boat be used for in Spain, do I need to reregister in Spain

Thanks
Gfoxsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 04:49   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Buying uk boat in Spain

All depends on the Brexit outcome.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2019, 07:21   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Buying uk boat in Spain

Yes. I too vote wait for Brexit, see what ensues, buy later.

Brits will become non-EU soon. At this stage it seems that the exit will be of the hard type.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 01:30   #4
Marine Service Provider

Worst-case scenario, if the UK leaves the EU and no agreements are made, with regard to this matter, then you would have to leave the territorial waters every 18 months and prove so on return.

If you are looking for registration in an EU ships registrar, in fear of a possible hard Brexit, it might be sensible to do so before 31 October, as you are then still an EU passport holder.

I contacted one of the EU ships registrar and they said that it is not known what would happen with British owned vessels in their ships registrar. Realistically speaking, a reasonable solution will be offered. One may expect that those ships registrars that accept EU and EFTA residents will probably also accept British owned vessels.

Before you decide on registering in an EU ships registrar, do conduct some research as registering in the Spanish ships registrar may have financial implications other registrars do not have. Spain as a flag state, for example, require periodical surveys, which other flag states do not ask for.
Old 28-08-2019, 06:22   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

Affirmative.

If one feels this is desirable to register their boat in a EU country other than their home country, it is wise to allow for various levels of red tape in these countries.

SPAIN has one of the more strangling boat registration rules that involve frequent haul-outs for state surveys, oddball equipment requirements and licensing (skipper's certificates, VHF certificates in Spanish), etc. etc. etc. Bazillions of Spanish 'funcionarios' (people employed / paid by the state, with lifetime employment guarantee) need to justify their existence.

Also, Spain has stopped being a EU cash flow receiver last year and you may face an attitude shift towards visitors in some areas. E.g. Barcelona, Las Palmas.

Long story short, if you register in the EU, make sure you do so in a country that fits you paperwork tolerance levels.

I think perhaps UK sailors are best considering a Gibraltar flag (?)

Cheers,
barnakiel
Spain
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, Spain