Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2016, 15:59   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO409
Buying boat in BVI but will keep it in USVI; need registration. Who do you recommend?

My broker tells me I need someone for registration and documentation. Should I ask him to recommend someone or would you guys have someone to recommend?

Any ideas on the costs involved?

Thanks!

[edit]
I am a US citizen with New Jersey residency.
I would also like to do USCG registration (which I believe I can do myself):
https://www.uscg.mil/nvdc/default.asp
[/edit]
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 22:09   #2

Re: Buying boat in BVI but will keep it in USVI; need registration. Who do you recomm

Anyone?
Old 19-10-2016, 08:30   #3

Re: Buying boat in BVI but will keep it in USVI; need registration. Who do you recomm

There is no reason you can't register and document the boat yourself.

We live in the US Virgin Islands and have registered several sail boats without an agent.

However... You need to register the boat in person at DPNR. Be prepared for anywhere between 20 minutes to 2 hours. Also, be prepared for more than one trip to DPNR if you don't have all the documentation properly signed and notarized.

Our experience was 'be polite and patient' at DPNR and it was an easy enough experience.

USCG Documentation was pretty much a matter of following the instructions on their website.
jeffatds9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 09:08   #4

Boat: Lagoon 450F

I just recently used Ocean Yacht Document @ Ocean Yacht Documentation - Ocean Yacht Documentation. Great service and for $600 handled the USGC documentation along with some of the documents needed for closing.

Even though I could have done it myself there were more than enough other things to attend to during the purchase process that removing this from my plate was worth the cost.
dcareri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 22:48   #5

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it.

Tags
buying, men, registration