Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2015, 19:45   #1

Boat: Fibramar Farilhao 600 (6.0m)
Boat with Dutch Flag I got a ticket notice in Portugal

Hello everyone!

I've got a serious issue going on..
I am from Portugal and I've got a boat registered under the Belgium Flag.

Two weeks ago I was tying of on my spot at the local marina here on the island and I was "inspected" by the local Polícia Marítima (I believe it is similar to the Coast Guard - USCG).

According to the Belgium Flag certificate I am not obligated to have a driving permit for sea and I can only be boarded and inspected by Belgium authorities and the local Customs.
Also, according to Belgium Flag rules I also not obligated to show any other documents nor security equipment to the local authorities here in Portugal.

It happens that they asked me for several documents including the Boat's registry, insurance, "lighthouse tax" and fishing license and I obliged!

After that the officer asked me to show him my security equipment, fire extinguisher, flares, life vests to which I replied, I am on a boat running the Belgium Flag and that he had no authority to ask me for any of those items.

The officer kept insisting that I had to show him the equipment and my driving permit to which I answered: "I do have them stored in the cabin but you Sir, you do not have authority in that matter thus I will not show you that." because he is not even authorized to ask me for those things according to the Belgium Flag in the first place.

After he was done, he told me I was going to receive a ticket notice.

It so happens that on Friday I received the ticket notice and, in sum, it is saying that I failed to provide a driving permit and that I did not have the security equipment on board.
Also there was something saying that as the total ticket price is an abstract amount I was not able to pay the ticket voluntarily and had 20 days to counter the accusations.

Has anyone here experienced this in their home waters?
I will have to write a counter letter to defend myself and I really need the exact laws so I can juice up the letter by giving valid laws instead of what is just written on the Pavillon Belge website where I registered the boat at...

Tomorrow I will try to get in contact with the office that I have the boat registered at but my french is somewhat spotty..

I'm sorry for the long thread but I really need help with this..

Thank you all in advance!
Stay safe on the water!

Vando S.
Breezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 19:47   #2

Boat: Fibramar Farilhao 600 (6.0m)
Re: Boat with Dutch Flag I got a ticket notice in Portugal

I haven't even been able to sleep at all because of this... It is stressing me out! it's already almost 3am and I feel my heart pumping like crazy
Breezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 19:59   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

My only suggestion would be to contact the Belgium consulate where you are currently located. They will be able to advise you much better than anyone on an internet forum in this mattdr
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 20:43   #4
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

If you had the equipment and sailing licence, why didn't you just give it to them instead of creating this problem? The hole you are standing in was dug by you with a lot of effort so I'd suggest you figure out on your own how to get out.
Old 20-10-2015, 21:18   #5

Iwould agree that the consulate contact could be you safest bet. other wise you may be able to find the laws posted online somewhere. I respect and applaud your willingness to stand your ground. I hope you are correct and are able to resolve this unfortunate situation.
farm sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 21:22   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

You really need to go hat in hand and apologize for your bad attitude.

Make up any personal excuse based on misinformation and a painful bowel infection, that caused you to be so short with the inspection officers.

I understand you are Portuguese, so work it out quietly, rather than challenging them.
Invite them back for a much more cooperative inspection and repeat the apology.

They hold the hammer in their country....not Belgium.... so don't fight it, in case they decide to make an example out of you.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 21:31   #7

Let me see if I have understood the situation correctly.

You are Portugese, the boat is in Portugal, where it is normally located (home port), and the Portugese authorities just inspected your boat to see if it complies with Portugese law.

You informed the authorities that it doesn't have to comply with Portugese law, because it is flagged in Holland.

My conclusion would be that you are in error. Local law trumps the law of the flag state.

The only surprising bit about the whole thing is that you thought, even for a second, that you had a leg to stand on.
Old 20-10-2015, 21:37   #8

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44
Thumbs up Re: Boat with Dutch Flag I got a ticket notice in Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
You really need to go hat in hand and apologize for your bad attitude.

Make up any personal excuse based on misinformation and a painful bowel infection, that caused you to be so short with the inspection officers.

I understand you are Portuguese, so work it out quietly, rather than challenging them.
Invite them back for a much more cooperative inspection and repeat the apology.

They hold the hammer in their country....not Belgium.... so don't fight it, in case they decide to make an example out of you.
+1 They can make your life miserable. You can't do anything that will even ruin their afternoon.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 22:03   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

No country I have ever heard of applies the rules of another country.
When in Portugal .....................
Old 20-10-2015, 22:27   #10

Boat: Sandibar 35

Hm, I think you have two issues mixed up here. In the EU (everywhere?) the local authorities cannot demand you have qualifications (and possibly equipment) that are not required by your home country rules for the vessel in question. For example, in Finland no certification is required to operate a non-commercial vessel up to a certain size and I am not required to carry such certification, even if I move the boat to a country that requires it. Inland waterways are a different matter.
This has nothing to do with sovereign rights of the nation to grant license to different authorities to monitor and inspect foreign vessels in their waters. If the opposite were true, that would lead to all kinds of problems in foreign ports. You could basically use your boat for illicit activity.
In short, I think you may be right concerning your need to have certain equipment or certifications (depending on Belgian rules), but the local authorities probably have the right to inspect your vessel.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2015, 23:46   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boat with Dutch Flag I got a ticket notice in Portugal

[QUOTE=Sandibar;1942370]Hm, I think you have two issues mixed up here. In the EU (everywhere?) the local authorities cannot demand you have qualifications (and possibly equipment) that are not required by your home country rules for the vessel in question. QUOTE]

Hmmm... I think your batting a sticky wicket..
They can demand whatever they like if you are in their waters.. and... you are obliged to provide it else they can and will stop you from moving on

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 00:45   #12

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Apparently the Portuguese require sailors in a portuguese boat to have a "driving license". This means they also require foreigners to have one.

see:

Sailing and Boating in Portugal | Portugal

While perhaps technically correct in your opinion on being asked to show it - as someone else noted - they can make the rest of your life miserable - you can't even give them a bad minute or two.

Some countries (notably France, and don't even get started on the US and the USCG) both can and will inspect you to see if you have the proper safety equipment on board - woe be the sailor htat has expired emergency rockets

As another poster noted - go on your knees and tell them you forgot to take your meds or your hemmeroids were hurting like mad and pologize - show them your certificate and get on with your life.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 00:46   #13

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Failed the attitude test so made things worse.

So much easier just to comply.
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 01:31   #14

Boat: Southern Ocean 32

Few of you mixing up Holland and Belgium. Insulting both nationalities😀

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
pikv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 01:55   #15

Boat: Sandibar 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hmmm... I think your batting a sticky wicket..
They can demand whatever they like if you are in their waters.. and... you are obliged to provide it else they can and will stop you from moving on
You are of course right that they can demand whatever they want. However, there are European agreements covering recreational boating exactly because national requirements are heterogeneous between member states.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Portugal