Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 10:55   #1

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Boat Graphics: Does Size Matter ?

Just received my USCG documentation and bill 'o sale. I have paper, therefore I am, and she's mine. The Doc.certificate says, "not legal to operate" until I get the new name/hailing port and documentation numbers affixed.

Are there size or location requirements for either? I seem to remember there are for registration numbers.
Old 12-07-2010, 16:16   #2

On the stern, at least 4" high

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, FAQ Page

The numbers must be at least 3" tall, affixed to a permanent part of the hull but don't need to be displayed (in the engine room?)
Old 12-07-2010, 16:38   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
From: USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, FAQ Page

WHAT ARE THE VESSEL NAME AND HAILING PORT MARKING REQUIREMENTS?

Documented vessels do not display their official numbers on the outside of the hull, but are identified by the name and hailing port. The application for documentation must include a name for the vessel composed of letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals and may not exceed 33 characters. The name may not be identical, actually or phonetically, to any word or words used to solicit assistance at sea; may not contain or be phonetically identical to obscene, indecent, or profane language, or to racial or ethnic epithets. Once established, a vessel's name may not be changed without application, fees, and the consent of the Director, National Vessel Documentation Center. There is no rule against duplication of names for documented vessels, so hailing ports are helpful in identifying vessels.

HOW DO I MARK MY VESSEL?

The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded by the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.

The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated.
Old 12-07-2010, 16:50   #4

I've heard they've never complained about the name and port being on the aft sides instead of the cluttered stern. 4" is too small if you are interested in anyone reading the name in a cruising environment. Try for 8" or larger.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 16:54   #5

Thanks, gentlemen. I forget that everyone, including the uscg Nat.Doc Center has a website. Honest, I'm not actually, or at least, totally a luddite.
Old 12-07-2010, 17:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
I've heard they've never complained about the name and port being on the aft sides instead of the cluttered stern. 4" is too small if you are interested in anyone reading the name in a cruising environment. Try for 8" or larger.
Yeah, the old names are larger, on both bow and stern, and having a pointy stern, there isn't much choice but to put the new name on both sides of the stern.