Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2015, 20:25   #16
Eternal Member

Re: Aug. 2015 firearm check in experience- Isle de Providencia,Colombia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I think it is great to get updates on changing local attitudes towards visiting yachts carrying small personal firearms.

The irony after 9/11 2001 was that the Federal Governments took that discretion away from the local police.
You mean, prior to 9/11, the enforcement of U.S. Customs and Immigration laws, applications for visas, cruising permits, and temporary permits for the importation of firearms, were all handled by the local authorities at whatever location a foreign yachtsman just happened to arrive ??? And, they had the freedom to pick and choose only those regulations they may or may not have felt like applying, or to disregard others?

Damn, who knew?

;-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 20:25   #17

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
I think it is great to get updates on changing local attitudes towards visiting yachts carrying small personal firearms.

The irony after 9/11 2001 was that the Federal Governments took that discretion away from the local police.

The goal to disarm everyone in an attempt to fight the evil ones has not worked!

I hope that local authorities can now be allowed to make their own judgement calls on visiting yachts and prevailing conditions.

I also hope that those who are against carrying firearms as a last defence will allow those good cruisers the option to recreate that international reputation of being responsible in their choice to do so.

Not interested in debating this.
I am not an "advocate" either way, especially. I am not a great friend of state nannyism, and am indeed an advocate of freedom. I think the situation in Europe, particularly the UK, has gone far too far for example and am a great believer in personal responsibility. So… we agree essentially.

It is just that I personally feel that arms are not necessarily a contributor to the safety of a vessel. At least not firearms, as such.

No debate.

And as a fellow, much respect.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 22:07   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
You mean, prior to 9/11, the enforcement of U.S. Customs and Immigration laws, applications for visas, cruising permits, and temporary permits for the importation of firearms, were all handled by the municipal authorities at whatever location a foreign yachtsman just happened to arrive ??? And, they had the freedom to pick and choose only those regulations they may or may not have felt like applying, or to disregard others?

Damn, who knew?

;-)
Where did I mention customs or immigration or even the US for that matter?

Right after 9/11, everything relating to arms and security became very formal in ALL the world ports where previously the worst I would anticipate was inventory to be sealed in a proper gun safe inside bonded storage room

After 9/11 same officers explained that they were now directed to remove all arms until we were clearing out of country.

Forget about clay shooting or VIP security.... (Unless it was their own nationals)
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 04:57   #19
Eternal Member

Quote:
Where did I mention customs or immigration or even the US for that matter?

Right after 9/11, everything relating to arms and security became very formal in ALL the world ports where previously the worst I would anticipate was inventory to be sealed in a proper gun safe inside bonded storage room

After 9/11 same officers explained that they were now directed to remove all arms until we were clearing out of country.

Forget about clay shooting or VIP security.... (Unless it was their own nationals)
Fair enough, but the point I was making was that at least here in the US prior to 9/11, I'm pretty sure that whether a foreign yachtsman would be permitted to clear into the country with firearms was a matter that was determined by federal Customs & Immigration officials, and not the local police at the point of entry into the country...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 05:29   #20

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
The attitude that prevails in Honduras, and Columbia, may not necessarily be representative of what lies ahead in the course of their circumnavigation...
While Providencia is technically part of Colombia, it is a whole world away from mainland Colombia. Like someone else mentioned, it is probably the last place on earth where a gun could be useful for any reason.

I will be more interested to hear the experience of checking in firearms in mainland Colombia. Although an interesting point is once cleared in Providencia, one is cleared into Colombia proper and can freely go to the mainland without needing to bother with further formalities…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 08:47   #21

You did the right thing by making every effort to declare. I would have a relatively inexpensive shotgun on board so in a worst case situation if it gets confiscated after you declare you have lost little and still have your freedom. My desire to travel and explore does not include foreign jails.
medevicerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 09:32   #22

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

Yeah Caribbean jails suck.... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 10:20   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think maybe your attitude more than anything else is what's making it so easy, try acting like the typical "Ugly American" and see how it goes
And I would like to see your objective data of how many people act like"Ugly Americans" versus "Un-Ugly Americans." Not your subjective rants.
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 15:51   #24

Boat: Ganley Transition 41 (corten steel )

Hi There,
I have been wondering what sort of firearm ticks all the boxes. Versatile, cheap , easy to use , simple to clean. Sounds like a cheap shotgun is the answer, you can always leave it at customs or throw it over the side.
ski69sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 16:02   #25

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcake View Post
And I would like to see your objective data of how many people act like"Ugly Americans" versus "Un-Ugly Americans." Not your subjective rants.
It's not the "ugly americans" it's the ugly french. Most americans seem a bit obsequious by comparison.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 17:59   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Try it in Canada and see how it goes. Or New Jersey.
How about London or Queensland?
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 18:14   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

Well, if your an American and you tackle the guy on the train with the assault rifle and a hand gun I hear the French give you the Legion of Honor, France’s highest award.
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 18:39   #28

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSSailem View Post
Well, if your an American and you tackle the guy on the train with the assault rifle and a hand gun I hear the French give you the Legion of Honor, France’s highest award.
They are a strange bunch. As sailors they seem to be more, something. The men also wear those silly bathing trunks. Can't imagine an American doing that.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 19:27   #29
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I wonder whom among the three were the "Ugly Americans" The two White guys or the Black guy? Thank goodness the train was filled with sensible European and French people who knew better than to get involved with a gun toting terrorist and act out in the typical American cowboy mentality.

OK, It's the fault of another CF member that has, this fine evening, plied me with a few extra shots of Teekillya that has brought out the "Ugly American" in me that once in every other Blue moon is provoked. I'm kinda sorry, I think, I'll get back to you in the morning and let you know.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 19:46   #30

Tellie, after those insensitive, politically incorrect remarks, when we are ready to buy our watermaker, I am definitely calling you.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Colombia, enc