Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2016, 06:20   #106

Boat: Island Packet 35
Re: Anchoring restrictions introduced in Florida bill

823.11 Derelict vessels;

This act makes perfect senses and should be enforced. But the term is being too broadly applied to vessels that do not fit this criteria.
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 01:06   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholson31 View Post
823.11 Derelict vessels;

This act makes perfect senses and should be enforced. But the term is being too broadly applied to vessels that do not fit this criteria.
Thi
This bill started with a guy who had a home on the water in an small anchorage heavily used by crusier waiting for a weather window to bahamas.

He went as far as buying dozens of small boats and filling the anchorage to prevent others from using it.
This is well documented.The FWC already tags boats at risk and derlict boats
There is no money to remove them and this bill is simply personal lawmaking for some big donaters. The Bush court ruled that money= free speech so now you to can buy your own politician. I mean we have a reality tv star dropping bombs now.The people always get the government we deserve.This bill will pass most likely and many jobs will be lost and the derelict boat will still be there.They are there because of economic reality. The boats come from bankrupt rich people and the floating homeless.There are several non government groups working to remove these boats from the water No anchoring law will solve this issue and do you reality want the very limited resources of the FWC running around with a tape measure when some rich bastard calls and complains?
parrotsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 05:21   #108

When it comes to anchoring restrictions in Florida, the camel's nose is already well into the tent.

Who doesn't know what happens next?
Old 15-04-2017, 10:19   #109

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Despite the preponderance of boaters in Florida, and the total disregard of the economic benefits resulting from the boating industry (JOBS!!!), Florida continues to enact legislation that negatively impacts boaters. There is a well known, and oft quoted, elected official here in St. Augustine who has stated that he wants boaters to "fuel up and leave" when passing through his town. This is a typical response.

We must resist these efforts, maintaining the Federal Rules and Regulations that codify the right to freely and safely transit these waters.

Parrotsailor is absolutely correct - these "rich bastards" are the ones who are financing these efforts through their (bought and paid for) local officials. [Maybe time to look at campaign financing transparency/reform?]

Support SSCA, AICWA and other groups who are fighting these onerous restrictions. At the same time, be a responsible boater and an example to others. I try to do my part, do you?
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 11:49   #110

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
Despite the preponderance of boaters in Florida, and the total disregard of the economic benefits resulting from the boating industry (JOBS!!!), Florida continues to enact legislation that negatively impacts boaters. There is a well known, and oft quoted, elected official here in St. Augustine who has stated that he wants boaters to "fuel up and leave" when passing through his town. This is a typical response.

We must resist these efforts, maintaining the Federal Rules and Regulations that codify the right to freely and safely transit these waters.

Parrotsailor is absolutely correct - these "rich bastards" are the ones who are financing these efforts through their (bought and paid for) local officials. [Maybe time to look at campaign financing transparency/reform?]

Support SSCA, AICWA and other groups who are fighting these onerous restrictions. At the same time, be a responsible boater and an example to others. I try to do my part, do you?

Do you know of any drafts in the current session covering anchoring?
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 20:28   #111

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Do you know of any drafts in the current session covering anchoring?

Yes. House bill H7043 and Senate bill S1338 are both active and moving forward. They are not identical, but similar, in that both restrict anchoring rights.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 09:55   #112

Apparently Bill is signed and done. I didnt see any general setback in version I read so that at least is gone. The Destin area anchorage was about leaving a right of way for getting to the party sandbar which was not a real anchorage.So this law was written for that big supporter in lake worth.

Google lake worth and anchoring fights you will see that is about one guys house. The rest seems to make sure waterskiers can ski at night.

Frankly I hate that area anyway so they can keep it. If I need somewhere to wait for a window Ill use Key west where the tourist minded make the rules instead of tight a@# payed off old white men and they put the lime in the coconut
Old 16-04-2017, 13:04   #113

To those of us who have lived in Florida, the news that the anchoring laws were for sale to the highest bidder was not the shocking revelation it may have been to others.
Old 26-07-2017, 18:19   #114

From what I last read 30 days consecutively and no more than 90 days per year were permitted. Is that for boats registered out of state or for all boats? Has that changed? If that is for out of state boats what are the laws for boats registered in FL?

Cheers!
CR
CoralReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 08:03   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralReefer View Post
From what I last read 30 days consecutively and no more than 90 days per year were permitted. Is that for boats registered out of state or for all boats? Has that changed? If that is for out of state boats what are the laws for boats registered in FL?

Cheers!
CR
Simply get a use decal and enjoy Florida waters
Old 27-07-2017, 08:41   #116

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Just follow the money.

Overall, I think that the version is a wash for us. The state will withhold the right to define non-anchoring areas to themselves and the setbacks from private property have been done away with. In turn, marinas and mooring fields get some room (like 100 feet to 300 feet) and there is more money for removing derelict vessels.

All in all, it could be much much worse.

The only provision I am concerned about is the "prohibit affixing to unauthorized objects" which I suppose means moorings and such but could easily be interpreted to mean anchors as well.

They also require proof of pump out, which is hard to provide if you choose to go out into the ocean to pump out, like we do.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 09:20   #117
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post

The only provision I am concerned about is the "prohibit affixing to unauthorized objects" which I suppose means moorings and such but could easily be interpreted to mean anchors as well.
That seems to be a pretty paranoid concern.
Old 27-07-2017, 12:04   #118

Quote:
In turn, marinas and mooring fields get some room (like 100 feet to 300 feet) and there is more money for removing derelict vessels.
You will find this was already in other laws

Quote:

You and everyone else knows what this is...someone else's sea wall , Mooring and navigation bouys...all of which was already in various laws. state ,Federal or otherwise
[/QUOTE]

Quote:
They also require proof of pump out, which is hard to provide if you choose to go out into the ocean to pump out like we do.
Again already in the law in all of the keys and many many areas already as well as most of the high use areas in the country. All in all this bill which was for the benefit of a couple of political supporters could have been a disaster for boaters will, in fact, have no effect except in front of a couple peoples houses

The areas affected by the new law were already as anti cruiser as you could get with towing of dinks etc making landing impossible and the Destin portion was not an anchorage but in fact a party sandbar spot which got so full the fire dept could not help the drowning drunks and now a right of way has been set aside. Hopefully this is the last of this garbage we see from government for a while
ParadiseParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 12:40   #119

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
They also require proof of pump out, which is hard to provide if you choose to go out into the ocean to pump out, like we do.
As you say it could have been much worse.

I take a picture of my chartplotter when I dump offshore.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 14:37   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
As you say it could have been much worse.

I take a picture of my chartplotter when I dump offshore.
So exactly what is it about proof of pump outs? How often are pump outs required, just when full? Jeeze

I am sure a lot of laws are useful like stopping folks from pumping out in crowded areas and such. The truth is the more people on the water the more folks that don't respect others and the environment so you are going to continue to see more and more "laws" coming on the books and not just boating related.

More people more problems more rules n so forth....would be nice if people would use their brains so the rest of us respectful people wouldn't have to allow our freedoms to be put into jeopardy.

Just because you have freedoms shouldn't mean you can act like savages....try telling that to people in the 3rd world where pollution is out of control though....
CoralReefer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, florida