Waimea Bay on Oahu...only in the summer though

Infinitee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 21:01   #62

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Re: Anchoring off a Public Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitee View Post
So nice - now where did I leave my goggles!
Old 14-01-2012, 21:43   #63

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
Re: Anchoring off a public beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChannelIslander View Post
That's Fool's Anchorage. It's supposedly the last free public anchorage within a city in Southern California. The City requires boats to move a mile away from the pier during the winter season so the ones that go aground do so on the beach and not into the pier. Here in the four-marina SB harbor it's known as Marina Five. Most of the boats there are parked unoccupied, or else they house folks who don't want to pay any rent. I've spent a night or two out there and the most important thing to know about it is that it is not really an anchorage, more of an exposed beach. In the old days before the harbor was built the fishermen took their boats all the way across the Channel to get in the lee of the islands, 25 miles away.
Yes to this and also to svHyLyte.

Although, svHyLyte, I was talking about one boat ten miles south of "Fools Anchorage" all by itself off the beach in a place called Summerland, which used to be a nude beach, but I think now, sadly, the cops have finally, after numerous sweeps and tickets have rid Santa Barbara of naked miscreants and now Santa Barbara Police officers can enjoy a donut or two, or three, or four at their leasure without worry of people sunbathing peacefully without clothing illegally in their jurisdiction, which is, a little secluded beach where for fifty some years people lay naked, bothering nobody, except of course, said Santa Barbara Police officers.

One more thing about the boats in "Fools Anchorage", as I understand it, they all have huge amounts of chain that they use to anchor with-- no anchors per sey. It would take a hell of a lot of dragging to get a boat up on a beach.

Anyway, I hope I didn't just bust the guy in Summerland, though I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he were naked right now this moment as I write this, probably thumbing his nose at all of us as he bobs up and down... the bastard.
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 07:58   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Infinitee.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 08:41   #65

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Photos of the morning after a typical winter storm (in this case, 1-23-'10) at East Beach in Santa Barbara: Santa Barbara, California - Beached sailboat after el nino winter storm, January 2010 | Cody Duncan Photography: Travel, Landscape, Climbing and Life . Every year, every storm.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 08:58   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitee View Post
That boat is a little close isn't it? Not that the beachgoers would complain, but I would worry about the wind shifting or waves forming.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 09:02   #67

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
That boat is a little close isn't it? Not that the beachgoers would complain, but I would worry about the wind shifting or waves forming.
Yes, if you start getting a bit too laid back and forget to leave before the first of the winter swells you might end up getting cleaned up by a twenty foot set before being smashed in the ten foot shorebreak? Still, I would be happy to take the chance!
Old 15-01-2012, 10:52   #68

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Photos of the morning after a typical winter storm (in this case, 1-23-'10) at East Beach in Santa Barbara: Santa Barbara, California - Beached sailboat after el nino winter storm, January 2010 | Cody Duncan Photography: Travel, Landscape, Climbing and Life . Every year, every storm.
I forgot about that one. Ouch! I remember it now. I think afterwards they changed their methods/rules of securing boats to one where they use gobs and gobs (X-amount?) of chain. Does that make sense? Thats what I learned from a liveaboard out there. And no, he is not charged rent.
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 12:17   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
I forgot about that one. Ouch! I remember it now. I think afterwards they changed their methods/rules of securing boats to one where they use gobs and gobs (X-amount?) of chain. Does that make sense? Thats what I learned from a liveaboard out there. And no, he is not charged rent.
None of the boats ashore were refloated. They all ended up in the dump. A similar storm, with similar results, occured the following March. You keep referring to chainas if you are under the impression that there is some kind of shore-line/storm chain off that beach. There isn't. Some owners have laid fairly substantial anchors and attached rope pendents to small marker floats but that's about it.

FWIW...

PS: I cannot believe anyone in their right mind would anchor off the beach at Summerland. That would be a disaster waiting to happen.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 15-01-2012, 12:53   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
FWIW...

PS: I cannot believe anyone in their right mind would anchor off the beach at Summerland. That would be a disaster waiting to happen.
34.4161n, 119.5968w Is this the Summerland you are referring to? What makes that beach so bad compared to another one?

It seems like someone is taking their chances if you look at Google Earth.

Santa Barbara isn't very far away, and it looks like it is a popular place to anchor out. 34.410n, 119.683w
The Non-Cruiser's Guide To Central And Southern California
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 13:40   #71

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

How about this little anchorage off a public beach we enjoyed last week? Would it be legal in the "land of the free"? Note that we tied the bridle to a coconut tree without any means of protecting the tree from chafe.

If you want to check it out, you will find it at 9 deg 30.5 min South, 78 deg 48.0 min West. Try to keep it a secret because too many out-of-staters will ruin it.

BTW, if you are going to use the same coconut tree, watch out for the large brain coral just to the east. And there is great kayaking bashing out and then riding the waves back in through the channel between this island and the next island to the west.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0375.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	415.1 KB
ID:	36024   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4039.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	463.3 KB
ID:	36025  

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 13:48   #72

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Sorry, that was supposed to read:

9 deg 30.5 min NORTH, 78 deg 48.0 min West

It is amazing we don't get lost more often...
Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 14:58   #73

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Jimbo let me get lost in places like this the rest of my life LOL Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 06:02   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
34.4161n, 119.5968w Is this the Summerland you are referring to? What makes that beach so bad compared to another one?

It seems like someone is taking their chances if you look at Google Earth.

Santa Barbara isn't very far away, and it looks like it is a popular place to anchor out. 34.410n, 119.683w
The Non-Cruiser's Guide To Central And Southern California
The bottom from Fernald Point to Seaside Park is very course sand and shale rubble over fractured shale all weakly held together by kelp. It can give one the impression one is firmly anchored when one is not--even remotely. And, some pretty terrific waves can build up on very short notice with a northwesterly blowing around Conception and seas reflecting back off Santa Cruz and Anacapa or worse, southwesterly's and seas blowing in between the islands. This is not a good place to be for other than surfing south of Rincon Point.

FWIW...

Tags
anchor, anchoring