Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 13:46   #46
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Anchoring off a public beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
I don't understand why so many run to the nearest marina only to miss the relaxing atmosphere you get off beaches.
I spent the final days of 2011 in Clipper Cove on SF Bay. On New Year's morning, five boats came in and dropped their hooks, looking somewhat more bedraggled than the rest of us. It turns out they'd spent the night in China Camp, a beach-type anchorage a couple hours sail away. There had been no wind when any of them anchored on New Year's Eve, but during the night a strong NorthEaster had come up, and by all reports it had gotten pretty roller over there, bad enough that no one could sleep.

That's the basic problem with a beach anchorage. You may have great protection from prevailing winds, but let things shift and it's suddenly worse than being out in the open sea. I've had it happen where I've had to abandon my anchorage in the middle of the night and head offshore after one such shift because rollers were now breaking where I'd previously set the hook.
Old 10-01-2012, 14:03   #47

Boat: Pearson 422, 42ft
The spark that created my original question came from some awesome experiences I've had in places like the BVIs where we dropped anchor to have a picnic on the beach or to do a little leg stretching/exploring. I spend 95% of my time sailing in the north east where there are some very sheltered areas such as long island sound or Barnegat which would be great for anchoring off the beach. We've been to some of the public ancorages but find them to be full of loud power boaters. I fully understand the risks of anchoring off ocean beaches and believe that lots of due diligence is the key to risk reduction. Thanks for all your entertaining and educational responses.

Dylan
Blissopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 22:32   #48

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Are you guys serious? Is it really against the law to swim ashore from an anchored boat in the good ole USA? If so, things have really gone wonky since we left.

Please say it isn't so...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 10-01-2012, 22:38   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Are you guys serious? Is it really against the law to swim ashore from an anchored boat in the good ole USA? If so, things have really gone wonky since we left.
I'm pretty sure they would encourage it if you were sinking!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 23:58   #50

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:

Cheers,

Jim
Well if its so in the USA It should hit the AU in two years or soo.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 00:07   #51

Boat: 33ft sloop

I nearly lost my boat anchoring just in front of the sea-resort where I used to live. I know this coast pretty well and by maneuvering between the sandbars I can come close to the shore with sufficient water below the keel.

Once, a very hot summerday I met an old girlfriend and we spent the day and night together.
I was suddenly alarmed by a loud banging from the washbasin containing the empty winebottles, that we finished the evening before.
The boat rolled like crazy and opening the hatch I discovered the wind had picked up substantially to 25 kts and the boat was lying in the middle of the braking surf.

I tried to get the anchor out while the engine was running but not to waist any valuable time I cut the anchorline and brought the boat through the surf and breakers outside the danger zone.

It was just. Had the anchor not hold, we would have beached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zandvoort-angebot_05.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	35859  
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:01   #52

Local knowledge is a great thing. If we don't see a mooring ball close by a public beach, we just hang out on a picnic hook. In Los Angeles, a lot of boaters not wanting or affording dockage at Marina Del Rey hook up right off Dockweiller Beach (just south of the marina entrance). As it gets quite lumpy there time to time, every year one or two end up on the beach as derelicts.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:18   #53

Boat: 33ft sloop

The Dutch coast is totally unsuitable for any stay-over night, the risk is too big to get surprised by the heavy surf. You can drop the hook but only for the day. The prevailing winds vary fro SW to NW and there is no protection at all. Since that time I am quite reluctant to anchor anywhere in open sea.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:20   #54

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:

Cheers,

Jim
In the areas I've been NJ, FL, AL....anywhere there's lifeguards and beach tags (NJ has been this way for 50 years)...it's usually against the law...why I have no clue...but it's usually a slap on the wrist but I have seen them refuse to let you swim back out so you have to figure that one out...other times I've seen them row you out in their guard boats.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:27   #55

Boat: contessa 32

O.K. ,my third post on this thread.
As stated, beaches may be one of the best places to anchor,but NOT an exposed ocean beach unless crew stays on board and craft is kept in readiness for quick departure.
Weekends in mid summer here in the N.E. U.S. are to be avoided since the recent explosion in popularity of jet skis (pwc) will shatter all tranquility during daylight hours.
Bash makes a good point regarding wind shifts , so it goes without saying that one must keep a weather eye even in settled weather. It is always prudent to plan your exit from any anchorage while arriving so if wind shifts or other issues mandate an O'dark thirty departure, you have a plan (or two) that will get you back in your bunk A.S.A.P..
Knowledge of the weather along with you and your boats capabilities will help keep one from most of the unpleasantness resulting from a questionable anchorage choice.
Because there a are so many factors involved, I have always considered anchoring one of the highest marks of seamanship.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:47   #56

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
O.K. ,my third post on this thread.
As stated, beaches may be one of the best places to anchor,but NOT an exposed ocean beach unless crew stays on board and craft is kept in readiness for quick departure.
Weekends in mid summer here in the N.E. U.S. are to be avoided since the recent explosion in popularity of jet skis (pwc) will shatter all tranquility during daylight hours.
Bash makes a good point regarding wind shifts , so it goes without saying that one must keep a weather eye even in settled weather. It is always prudent to plan your exit from any anchorage while arriving so if wind shifts or other issues mandate an O'dark thirty departure, you have a plan (or two) that will get you back in your bunk A.S.A.P..
Knowledge of the weather along with you and your boats capabilities will help keep one from most of the unpleasantness resulting from a questionable anchorage choice.
Because there a are so many factors involved, I have always considered anchoring one of the highest marks of seamanship.
Hey...you can post as many times as you like...nobody is counting

But your comfort level is not what every one elses is.
The OP just asked whether it is legal or not and a bunch on here started to bring up all kinds of exceptions and dangers...well of course there are in all aspects of boating.

To come up with of half of what is being said it TOTALLY conditional...weather, depth of water, chance of swell from offshore storms, duration of stay, etc...etc..

Without rolling a bunch of factors into a pretty specific situation is just trying to justify what YOU would do or not do based on YOUR abilities and experiences.

Considering the thousands of 19 foot bowriders with brand newbie, clueless operators that do it all summer long off the Jersey coast that don't wash up on the beach.....it can't be all that challenging for all the "old salts" here in the Cruisers & Sailing Forums...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 20:26   #57

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
That's the basic problem with a beach anchorage. You may have great protection from prevailing winds, but let things shift and it's suddenly worse than being out in the open sea. I've had it happen where I've had to abandon my anchorage in the middle of the night and head offshore after one such shift because rollers were now breaking where I'd previously set the hook.
That's really why you have to watch your anchoring technique, the weather forecasts and your own intuition about the conditions. You won't develop these skills tied up at the marina or drinking at the yacht club bar.
Old 13-01-2012, 21:38   #58

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Anchoring off a Public Beach

Of all the anchoring ive done in the last 50 plus yrs, a few stick in my mind. Like once off a Hotel on lee side of Maui, 30 yrds or so off the beach, in 40 ft of water,great hard sand bottom, sitting there with a sundowner, watching the folks on shore wishing they were us LOL smooth water, good bottom and a great sun set, ahhh what more can you want in the world ! Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 11:01   #59

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Anchoring off a Public Beach

+1, SurferShane... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 11:15   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptn Happy View Post
Is it ok to anchor off a nude beach?
I thought it was compulsory.