Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2008, 07:39   #16
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
The nearest places to bring a tender to are at Las Olas Marina ($5 dinghy fee),
Well, Mr Gord, I have used Bahia Mar Marina a few times to pick up or drop of folks with the dink. The staff don't seem to mind, but I am not sure if there is a dedicated dinghy dock there.
Also there is a bar and restaurant South of Bahia Mar where ya can tie up the dink while ya eat and drink. Both of the above really close to Lake Sylvia.
I have used the private marina in Lake Sylvia once for a medical emergency but was yelled at by one of the owners.
Old 22-01-2008, 08:56   #17

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
Lake Sylvia is a great place to anchor and stock up before moving on. We dingy to the Southport Raw Bar (for $10 bucks you can leave your dingy there all day - nice folks!) From the Southport Raw Bar it's only a block or so away to the Publix supermarket, a couple of large liquor stores, bait and tackle shops, Blue Water Charts, etc. etc. It's also close enough to the Fort Ladeda airport that taxis don't kill you if you have crew flying in or out. Once we get everything back to the dingy of the boat we end up at the Southport Raw Bar that evening drinking and/or eating. (the $10 you paid for the dingy dock is applied toward your bill, so we never end up paying for the dingy dock)

We have spent several days at a time in Lake Sylvia and never been approached by the police. We have however, seen the police make contact with other boats in the anchorage. We think it might have more to do with appearance of your boat or the amount of noise you make more than the length of time you stay. Just a thought.

The Marco Island court verdit really only effects anchoring at Marco Island at the present time but if Marco Island persists in appealing the verdit to a state court (ad they say they intend to) and lose agian it will effect loal anchoring laws all over Florida. I suspect that even now there is not a city or county court judge that is not familiar with the Marco Island anchoring case.
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 09:18   #18

Boat: 36 gulfstar
Gord,

Halfway down the canal to the 'Rawbar' on the north side is a large public boat ramp with ample dock to tie-up to. I have used it many times. The walk to the grocery, hardware, banks and such is about ten minutes. I do lock up the dinghy since the area is heavily trafficed especially on the weekends. I've never been hassled there or in Lake Sylvia for that matter but have some friends that we asked to leave after their three boat flotilla stayed two weeks.

Richard
seaclusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 10:46   #19
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobetah View Post
Blue Water Charts

This is by FAR my favorite store in the world. I think I like it better than marine parts stores. There is also one in Newport, RI, but I have been to the one in Ft Lauderdale more often, visiting it all the time while working on megayachts.

See... I was never part of the anchoring crowd down there. I was more part of the Bahia Mar crowd... or not so much crowd but boat boy....
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 19:47   #20

Hello Again, I went ashore on Tuseday at 8am and asked to use the dingy dock at the Raw Bar, no problem said the owner or manager just pay $10 and when you come back we will take $10 off your food bill. I managed to get the items I needed very quickly and was back at the bar at 10am. We dont open till 11 but would like something to go said same nice man; got a three course meal in bread and a coffe and sent on my way with best wishes. Just so everone knowns the Raw Bar is a great place and needs your surport. I the limped south thro Port Everglades but the engine really overheated so had to sail, tide on the bow and the wind went round from NE to E then ESE, chartplotter gave me .5 kts at 185. I was at this time off the Dania Cut Off Canal and the chart showed adverts for marinas in the canal so turned hard right and came to a dock on southside that has a notice NO OVERNIGHT MOORING as it was early afternoon I took advantage and moored the boat. Set off in the dingy to see the marinas; at the first stop I was told by a local boat owner that Playboy Marina would be my best berth. Called in and arranged to moor the boat at Playboy, I was helped to tie up and shown the lay-out my very friendly staff. I can not say how super all staff and management are at Playboy Marina and if I ever get back to Fort Lauderdale and need any work doing then Playboy is the place. Thank you all for your interest and advice it did help me as I was very down when I posted my mail. Very best regards Peter
hideaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 22:33   #21

Boat: PEARSON 422
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobetah View Post
We have spent several days at a time in Lake Sylvia and never been approached by the police. We have however, seen the police make contact with other boats in the anchorage. We think it might have more to do with appearance of your boat or the amount of noise you make more than the length of time you stay. Just a thought.

I have had the same experience as mobetah in Lake Sylvia. I have anchored in Lake Sylvia several times. Twice for 3 or more days. I was never asked to move or leave or given a warning. One night a commercial vessel of some function pulled into Lake Sylvia and dropped anchor. The crew was drunk and disorderly, the generator was loud and obnoxious, and the lights were bright and left on all night. They woke up everyone on the other boats and did not let us sleep very well that night. The next morning, about 10am, the marine patrol approached them and told them they had to leave. You could actually hear cheers erupt from some of the other boats(including ours). The marine patrol did not approach anyone else and went on their merry way.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:24   #22

Boat: nebe cape 28
it is realy to bad that dropping the hook is becoming a problem!
Old 03-02-2008, 11:04   #23

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
The Southport Raw Bar is an excellent place. We always go there from Lake Sylvia, never been asked for the ten bucks although we usually have lunch there. They have free wifi too and a dumpster close at hand for your garbage. I have two of their bumper stickers on my outboard. Not too long a walk to Publix, Winn-Dixie is just across the street and a Total Wines is by the Publix. What more would you want. By the way the cops are only trying to scare you. Haven't known of many tickets being given out although someone might know better.
Old 02-05-2011, 22:59   #24

Re: Anchoring in Florida

As the economy worsens, and many retirees find themselves without pensions due to corporate or government thrives, their boats will become their homes. Then what? Will people in the 70's and 80's be forced to sail bay to bay as a result of being harassed? There should be at least a 72 hour window. Wait until someone dies from heading into bad weather from being chased out by a local make believe cop. I heard there are some federal waters where locals have no jurisdiction and sailors can anchor hassle free -- where is this place?
vrhs401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:07   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, vrhs401.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:44   #26

Boat: Formosa Ketch 41'

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrhs401 View Post
As the economy worsens, and many retirees find themselves without pensions due to corporate or government thrives, their boats will become their homes. Then what? Will people in the 70's and 80's be forced to sail bay to bay as a result of being harassed? There should be at least a 72 hour window. Wait until someone dies from heading into bad weather from being chased out by a local make believe cop. I heard there are some federal waters where locals have no jurisdiction and sailors can anchor hassle free -- where is this place?
The intercoastal is a Federal waterway. Federal law trumps local law. The problem is that local government will give you a citation and make you defend yourself.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:02   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See some relevant earlier CF discussion:
Florida anchoring rights - Google Search

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:27   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Everyone should notice that the Lake Sylvia observations above are more than three years old. There may still be some selective responses by law enforcement approaching vessels that may appear "less cared for" or "unseawothy", but anchoring in Lake Sylvia has not been a problem. We have anchored, nothbound and southbound, in Lake Sylvia within the year for as much as five consecutive days without any contact from authorities. Anchoring has not been restrictive for us in any Florida area.
Old 03-05-2011, 13:16   #29

I understand that local communities, in their igonorance of law, may issue an illegal citation requiring defense in court. I will, however, at the same time take it one step further and bring a federal lawsuit against them seeking punitive damages in the form of a steep financial award (an injunction on the local court would put the case in federal court). Most qualtiy attorneys would assist on a pro bono basis because it is a certainty in winning and because federal judges better understand maritime laws. Attorneys love these cases because it a a civil rights violation under federal law, as well as being illegal according to Florida state law, and they always get their fees paid by the town in the end. I would sue for all my expenses also, including hotel, dock fees, emotional distress, etc. If the incident was repeated, my financial award the second time would be enough to purchase a very expensive yacht. I would also seek from the federal court an order preventing the town from engaging is similar behavior in the future. I would keep copies of the judgements aboard to provide other misguided towns who feel local ordinance supersede state and federal laws. In going to court, if cruising, I might even be able to prepare video depositions and testimony to present my case where my attorney could act on my behalf while I was not present. It really is a clear cut issue and towns really don't like facing federal judges. See information below by Florida Attorney Cook:

UPDATE - Stuart Anchoring Victory Florida
Subject: Stuart anchoring victory
Cruising News: I am the attorney who prosecuted the Stuart case. I'll send the article I wrote regarding the case in a separate email when you respond to this. There are significant differences between the Stuart and Marco case. Attached are the details in the article I wrote for BoatUS magazine. I filed a federal civil rights law suit, Marco went the county court route. A federal civil rights suit is expensive for a city to defend, the judges are more knowledgeable on maritime law, and the civil rights action yields rights to attorney fees and damages for the successful plaintiff. I got fast results with this suit: filed in March, settlement in May.
Barb Cook

.... EDITED - see link for complete source ....

In conclusion, non-liveaboard3 cruising boats can now anchor in Stuart municipal waters as long as they anchor outside the mooring field.

.... EDITED

Barbara Cook, Esq., Board Certified Admiralty and Maritime Law
GUY, YUDIN, & FOSTER, LLP
STUART, FLORIDA

Source: UPDATE - Stuart Anchoring Victory Florida - SailNet Community

Happy sailing! Protect your rights and hammer the bullies!
vrhs401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 15:03   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I appreciate your passion and enthusiam, but you may be a rival for Don Quixote here. Free and non-hassle anchoring is alive and well in Florida. Fernandina, St. Johns River, Pine Island, Tolomato River, St. Augustine (outside mooring field), Palm Coast north and middle canals, Daytona, Mosquito Lagoon, Indian River, St. Lucie River, Lake Worth, Pelican Harbor, Middle River, Lake Sylvia, Miami, Key Biscayne, Biscayne Bay, Elliott Key, Bayside Key Largo, Rodriguez Key, Tavernier, Lower Matecumbe Bight,.....and more (I'm weary of listing) up the gulf coast.

Tags
anchor, anchoring, florida