Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2022, 17:20   #1

Boat: Islander 36
2 forms of ID & the latest rules.

I did a search and the threads are dated.

Drivers License is expiring soon.
New US federal rules make renewing out of reach for me.

You don’t need to drive to need a DL …or something besides your passport.

What are people doing about this?
Old 12-05-2022, 17:27   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: 2 forms of ID & the latest rules.

In Canada you can get a provincial ID with same info as a drivers license. I’m told States offer the same identification. It’s been available for some time as there are so many people in cities who don’t drive.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 17:41   #3

Thanks, but that doesn’t quite fit the bill.

It’s about a permanent address.

Leaving the country soon and it’s too late to establish the permanent residence thing.

I’ve had a box at St Brendans for years. I will connect with them and see what they do.

Hopefully they help people get past the new rules.
Old 12-05-2022, 18:49   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I didn’t have an address, so it was quite a fight. I finally told them if they had to have something other than a PO Box, they could use United Airlines or Lake Ontario. They used the PO Box

The alternative to a drivers license I believe is called Real ID. Same hoopla though.
Old 12-05-2022, 18:58   #5

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post

The alternative to a drivers license I believe is called Real ID. Same hoopla though.
RealID is the law, passed in 2005, that requires all of the hoop jumping when obtaining a driver's license in the US. You need the RealID logo (star in upper right corner) on your driver's license to enter a federal building or go through airport security at some point. They keep delaying implementation.

For a while, many states were giving you the option of getting a non-RealID driver's license. Some may still be doing so, but I don't know. Some states also offer an identity card. I did a quick look at FL's requirements and it doesn't appear they offer a non-RealID ID.

Good luck!
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 19:07   #6

Boat: Tartan 3800

Some (many? most?) states offer regular non-real DLs. Minnesota is one. You could fly here and take a written test and get a DL without meeting a residency requirement. It would not have the gold star but if you have a passport you don't need that.
Old 12-05-2022, 19:38   #7

Boat: Tartan T4400

Minggat you don't say what state you are a resident of. You location says Hawaii In Hawaii you can get a state ID not sure what the requirements are. What/who doesn't accept a passport as a valid ID?
Old 12-05-2022, 20:20   #8

You guys keep going there. I’m a legal resident here in the State. Moved to Kauai from Oahu and renewal got complicated because I’m living aboard in a temporary slip while preparing to set sail for Fiji very soon.

They want your permanent residence address.

I managed when I sailed in from Mexico too long ago. Got stuck and now that license is about to expire.

So let’s say that I had a year still on it. Doesn’t matter, other than try to be clear here.

So after a year, still no state side permanent address.

Make sense yet?

I read about the process on the SBI website to get one out of Florida. Not ready to jump on a plane for that.

So I brought it to the forum because I can’t be the only cruiser who has been in this situation.

As I have been traveling the world and rarely driving, that has never been the issue. But those times when I needed a second ID, I was glad I had it.

I didn’t count on the move from Oahu to Kauai making this an issue.
My duh.
Old 12-05-2022, 20:42   #9

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
They want your permanent residence address.
Or more precisely, they want 'an' address that also happens to be on one of a selection of possible documents. So, you're in Hawaii and your license hasn't yet expired. Does it have a Hawaii address? Do you also happen to have a tax return or bank statement with the same address? If so, you're good. If not, time to get creative. I believe there's also a pathway to use "general delivery" at the nearest post office, but that may have an additional hurdle.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 20:42   #10

I’m the end, if there wasn’t a need for a way to jump through the hoops, Saint Brendans wouldn’t have a plan in place for it. And even with that plan, one bit I read said that you still need to know someone wow Florida residential address.
Old 12-05-2022, 20:54   #11

I have nothing on this planet that counts as a residential address. I have a mail service box here and in Florida. Life can flow with those, until your DL expires. When I haven needed one for such things as DL, I was in a position to use friend’s addresses. I got caught off guard that the move from Oahu would create this problem.

I will simply be without 2 ID’s until further notice.
Old 13-05-2022, 11:05   #12

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

It's been a few years back, but I had a friend in a similar situation, PO Box only, which used to work for drivers licenses but not anymore. He simply put up a mailbox in a nearby neighborhood in an area that had several mailboxes in a row. He put a number on it that didn't conflict with the others but was in the same number range. He then started sending himself mail addressed to that street & box number. He also ripped out product info cards from magazines and filled them in with his mailbox address. Within several weeks, the US Post Office was routinely delivering mail (most of it junk mail) to his mailbox and the box address ended up in the US Postal system database as a legitimate address. He subsequently applied for a drivers license using that address. It worked for him!
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 11:08   #13

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmojo View Post
It's been a few years back, but I had a friend in a similar situation, PO Box only, which used to work for drivers licenses but not anymore. He simply put up a mailbox in a nearby neighborhood in an area that had several mailboxes in a row. He put a number on it that didn't conflict with the others but was in the same number range. He then started sending himself mail addressed to that street & box number. He also ripped out product info cards from magazines and filled them in with his mailbox address. Within several weeks, the US Post Office was routinely delivering mail (most of it junk mail) to his mailbox and the box address ended up in the US Postal system database as a legitimate address. He subsequently applied for a drivers license using that address. It worked for him!
Brillant!
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 11:12   #14

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

All my mail goes to my friends house which I use as my "legal" residence. I have a state DL as well even tho I'm rarely there and won't be this fall as I set off
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 11:43   #15

Many states have new address rules for the homeless that do not require an address. I believe Hawaii is one of the more liberal states with lots of grace around the subject. If it's true (kind of sounds like you're sort of homeless from a traditional sense) you could try that approach. I'm pretty sure they actually have a law on the books about facilitating IDs for the homeless.
dcondit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rule