Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 06:37   #16

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Zincs - Salvaging NPT Brass Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Sulfur and Zinc Dust = Rocket Fuel!
OOOHHH yeah BABY !!!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:13   #17

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

You are giving me flashbacks to my hunter safety course...it was all 14 year old boys and their fathers, plus me ( middle aged woman) and my husband. To emphasize how important gun safety is, the instructors plus the fathers and husband started telling stories of all the really stupid things they did with guns when they were young. I think for the 14 year olds, it just gave them bad ideas...but it sure scared the crap outta me!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:45   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I tried the gun cotton thing and got not result whatsoever, acids didn't smoke so maybe they were weak?
The trick to the Iodine thing is to filter the crystals several times with the same ammonia, and get high strength pure ammonia. I think photographers use it for something?
My black powder wasn't very explosive, I've wondered if I should have watered it and let that dry and re-ground that or something as just mixing the three powders burned, but just wasn't very explosive.
At work we "debur" aluminum by sanding the skins, being Alclad, this leaves a very fine pure aluminum powder, mix that with ammonium nitrate and you have a powder that is very explosive when shot with a high velocity bullet, called Tannerite, I think?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:19   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Oh man...

You tee'd it up and struck out!

Tannerite ... Ammiright?

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 21:05   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

"My black powder wasn't very explosive, I've wondered if I should have watered it and let that dry and re-ground that or something as just mixing the three powders burned, but just wasn't very explosive."

I had the same problem. I knew you could wet it, form a paste, let it dry, then grind into small grains but I never tried it. I just remembered this is called "corning" the powder.

"very fine pure aluminum powder, mix that with ammonium nitrate and you have a powder that is very explosive when shot with a high velocity bullet, called Tannerite, I think?"

Very cool. I didn't know about this so I had to look it up. Sounds like this is pretty easy to buy. I've even seen it advertised but didn't realize this is what it is. Apparently you were not making Tannerite but a simpler version of it called Ammonal.

I haven't thought about this stuff in more than forty years. Now we've got the NSA watching us!

Hi boys! Keep up the good work!
Old 07-09-2014, 07:40   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
"My black powder wasn't very explosive, I've wondered if I should have watered it and let that dry and re-ground that or something as just mixing the three powders burned, but just wasn't very explosive."

I had the same problem. I knew you could wet it, form a paste, let it dry, then grind into small grains but I never tried it. I just remembered this is called "corning" the powder.

"very fine pure aluminum powder, mix that with ammonium nitrate and you have a powder that is very explosive when shot with a high velocity bullet, called Tannerite, I think?"

Very cool. I didn't know about this so I had to look it up. Sounds like this is pretty easy to buy. I've even seen it advertised but didn't realize this is what it is. Apparently you were not making Tannerite but a simpler version of it called Ammonal.

I haven't thought about this stuff in more than forty years. Now we've got the NSA watching us!

Hi boys! Keep up the good work!
I was just about to post this when I ran across your comment...

Dear NSA, Dept of State, Homeland Security and local law enforcement:

The following people in this thread are reliving their youthful indiscretions of the explosive kind and have no intentions of utilizing this information for any unwillful, unlawful, or un-American intent...

HopCar
Jim Cate
Blue Stocking
HappyMdRSailor
A64pilot
Wotname
Cuttyhunk

It was just plain too much fun to hear things go boom when our moms weren't lookin'...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:48   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Elsewhere View Post
This tip plus JD1's suggestion to carefully drill out the old zinc, has been some of the best advice that I have received here. I needed two bottom taps a bit larger than suggested. If bottom taps were not suggested, I might have gone for ordinary taps that would not have reached the "bottom" of the internal threads in the plugs. I was able to salvage all of the brass NPT zinc plugs that I have accumulated without a great deal of effort.

Thanks CF! What a great resource!
Make your own bottom tap by grinding off the tapered end. Its what we do in the machine shop. Also, if you change the zincs sooner you can avoid the problem. If there is no zinc, look in your heat exchanger for the scraps.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:43   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Speaking of Zincs, my Yanmar 4JHE doesn't have one, apparently that model doesn't.
Should I drill and tap the manifold and add one, or is there something peculiar with this ones design that a zinc is un-necessary?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:46   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Acids dissolve zinc. I have never tried salvaging those plugs but I would first try letting them soak in vinegar for a few days. If that does not work then go up the scale to stronger acids. I would next try phosphoric acid, which is what is used for the part B solution in teak cleaner kits. HCl might be overkill which I would try last.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:54   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Speaking of Zincs, my Yanmar 4JHE doesn't have one, apparently that model doesn't.
Should I drill and tap the manifold and add one, or is there something peculiar with this ones design that a zinc is un-necessary?
Generally exhaust manifolds don't have anodes because the water-iron-anode electrical continuity is not continuous, even when the engine is running. The salt side of your heat exchanger should have an anode as should the salt side of a intercooler if you have a turbo diesel. Iron exhaust manifolds eventually corrode away from the inside. This will happen anode or not. Look into a stainless steel exhaust manifold for the next time. My stainless steel manifold is on its second engine now...yes, it outlasted an engine.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plug