Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2015, 03:25   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
re: Zinc Plating

I'd have to question the metallurgical expertise of someone who spells zinc wrong six times in three posts.
Old 31-01-2015, 03:35   #17

Boat: Mustang 3800
re: Zinc Plating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
The zinc plating won't interfere. It will thread easily into the cast iron keel. The problem is that the whole reason for replacing these keel bolts and washers is corrosion, for which zinc plating is vastly inferior to galvanized.
Yes I was just having a bit of a dig... Are the real replacement bolts Galvanised? Seems a little odd if they are going into Cast Iron. I have had many a Galv bolt with dags big enough to cause cross threading.
Biggusstickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 07:14   #18

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: Zinc Plating

The bolts only have to hold for a year or so. Going out for another year and then when returning home, we're pulling the keel, dropping the mast and moving the boat to a small tree covered area bout a hundred yards up behind the ranch house for the grankids to play in.
Havent yet decided weather to hang the hull off a few chains so it will move around as being on the water or just plant it in a sand pit..
Think the Motor might just work as a replacement for the old tractor pumping water for the fields, and have already been asked for the mast to be used out-front of the ladies club for a flag pole..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 07:53   #19

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
The bolts only have to hold for a year or so. Going out for another year and then when returning home, we're pulling the keel, dropping the mast and moving the boat to a small tree covered area bout a hundred yards up behind the ranch house for the grankids to play in.
Havent yet decided weather to hang the hull off a few chains so it will move around as being on the water or just plant it in a sand pit..
Think the Motor might just work as a replacement for the old tractor pumping water for the fields, and have already been asked for the mast to be used out-front of the ladies club for a flag pole..

Good Gravy!!! Stifle yourself Randy!!! Stifle!!!

While the 10-9 bolts your propose may be stronger than the 8-8 M20's, one of the advantages of the Bene bolts is the fact of the Dacrotized finish, which is not the same as electroplating and quite far removed from hot-dip galzanizing. Dacrotizing is more akin to a ceramic finish. To quote more spacifically:
Quote:
The solution (DACRODIP) used for the DACROTIZED® coating is a water-based dispersant containing metallic zinc flakes, chromic anhydride, glycol, etc. Soaking the target substrate in DACRODIP and heating the solution to approximately 300°C in an oven will reduce the by-production of hexavalent chromium by organic substances such as glycol. The resulting water-insoluble amorphous nCrO3·mCr2O3 is used as a binder that joins together the zinc flakes, which are laminated in several dozen layers, to produce a coating film. The chromic anhydride in DACRODIP also oxidizes and chemically bonds with the metal surface, thereby achieving a high degree of adhesion. The anti-corrosive mechanism of the DACROTIZED® coating film consists of the controlled galvanic protection action of zinc particles, the passivation of base metal by chromic acid and the barrier effect of zinc flakes and chrome compounds, all of which combine for a level of corrosion resistance that no ordinary coating can offer.

The efficacy of the finishing is evidenced by the fact that after 26 years of service the bolts we pulled from our keel came our clean and dry without any damage or deterioration what-so-ever save to the heads that had begun to corrode due to the failure of the epoxy sealing material that had allowed the bolt heads to be exposed to bilge-water from time to time.

Despite protestations to the contrary, French engineering in general and the engineers at Beneteau in particular are pretty high quality and produce good, high quality, products with more than sufficient safety margins. Moreover, the designs produced by German Frers--for Beneteau and others--are/were thoroughly and completely engineered, again evidenced by the performance of the boats over the years and the First 42 in particular. Accordingly, the 8-8 M20 bolts are certainly up to the job. Never-the-less, if you prefer the 10-9 bolts, the zinc plating you propose certainly can't hurt and very well might help. If you can keep the heads sealed and dry, the plating/coating is irrelevant. Just keep an eye on them.

And no more talk of turning R3 into a Play-House!!!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 09:11   #20

You can put the highest grade steel made in there but unprotected it will still corrode. If you are really going for just a year then I sure wouldn't worry about it. A healthy coat of lanolin will protect it well too I imagine.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 12:03   #21

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Dont want to offend anyone but, you guys dont know what you are talking about, ...............
If you already know it all, why did you ask?

BTW: It's spelled "zinc", not "zink".
Old 31-01-2015, 12:51   #22

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
So I'm installing new keel bolts, but the bolts I found have not been zink plated for corrosion.. and while doing some research I found the system is pretty simple.. And used to brighten up many parts on cars..
Has anyone done any Zink Plating on their motor parts and if so how did it work..
I'm looking for first hand experance from someone that has played with such......................
Zinc plating is for fence posts.

Its use in automotive corrosion protection is for intermittent immersion in fresh water based spray. Zinc is not used for any automotive brightware. That will be either chrome or nickel. The traditional process involves copper plate of steel then nickel then chrome with polishing steps in between. This also has no place on a boat.

Zinc has no place anywhere near keel bolts. Monel, silicon bronze or titanium are acceptable materials. The primary failure mechanism is crevice corrosion due to stagnant sea water. 3xx stainless steels also don't like stagnant water.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 13:02   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I believe galvanized means zinc plated, either electro, or more likely hot dip, which is exactly what it sounds like. So galvanized means zinc plated.

Usually the higher the strength of steel, the more susceptible to corrosion it is.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 13:28   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Strength is a nebulous term when applied to metals.
i.e 316 stainless is generally accepted as stronger than 304 while 304 is more susceptible to corrosion. 316 is harder than 304 but more brittle therefore 304 can be stronger in some applications.
Old 31-01-2015, 16:45   #25

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
...galvanized means zinc plated...
" Zinc plated bolts and hardware fittings such as gate hinges will not provide adequate protection from corrosion, and will rarely last more than 12 months in exterior exposures in most urban coastal environments."
Galvanised Coatings - Zinc Galvanising versus Zinc Plating
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 18:21   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Strength is one thing, resistance to corrosion is another. For a keel bolt that spends it's entire life in the damp and dark recesses of the bilge, would want monel, silicon bronze or stainless. Any plated bolt including galvanized will begin to corrode away fairly quickly unless you are the one in a million that never has water sloshing around in the bilge. After owning 4 boats, that isn't me. Would guarantee that the Keel Bolts on a Beneteau are over engineered so each one is lightly stressed and doesn't require some exotic steel alloy for strength. It's been my experience that high strength steel alloys are way more prone to corrosion than fasteners made out of lesser rated, milder steel.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 18:22   #27

The reason that metals like stainless and aluminum don't corrode is because they DO corrode, if you can believe that! They form an oxide layer that stops any further corrosion. Put a stainless bolt into a service where that layer can't be maintained, and guess what? It can fail from intergranular corrosion right thru the part!
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:45   #28

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Strength is one thing, resistance to corrosion is another. For a keel bolt that spends it's entire life in the damp and dark recesses of the bilge, would want monel, silicon bronze or stainless. Any plated bolt including galvanized will begin to corrode away fairly quickly unless you are the one in a million that never has water sloshing around in the bilge. After owning 4 boats, that isn't me. Would guarantee that the Keel Bolts on a Beneteau are over engineered so each one is lightly stressed and doesn't require some exotic steel alloy for strength. It's been my experience that high strength steel alloys are way more prone to corrosion than fasteners made out of lesser rated, milder steel.
I suspect Beneteau has been around long enough to figure out what works best on their boats. We're not talking about installing a shelf in the galley, we're talking about fastening the keel to the boat. Pretty important. I suspect.

To the OP, don't think you're smarter than the Beneteau engineers. Buy and install their bolts.
Old 01-02-2015, 20:49   #29

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I suspect Beneteau has been around long enough to figure out what works best on their boats. We're not talking about installing a shelf in the galley, we're talking about fastening the keel to the boat. Pretty important. I suspect.

To the OP, don't think you're smarter than the Beneteau engineers. Buy and install their bolts.
Didnt say I was smarter than the people at beneteau and the keel bolts are a different issue, The origional post was asking if anyone had used a zinc plating system..
As for the keel, its not a Beneteau design anyway.. it an aftermarket deep fin. and this isnt my first modification in keels..
My C22 MK was ordered new without a keel.. I installed a Capri 22 fin under it and placed it forward of the designed placement for better stability in offshore races.. The rudder was my own design.
It did what I expected and In its first offshore race, I placed 1st in my devision and 2nd overall in the fleet. check class IV.. the boat.. Dream Chaser...
SSS HALF MOON BAY RACE - 1999 Results

From the time I was in high school where I installed a turbo charged 3208 cat motor in a John Deer tractor, I've been building and modifying anything that rolls or floats.. This boat I own now is no different..
And whats great about this forum and the people on it.. The more someone knocks what I'm doing or how I'm doing it, The more it drives me in what I am doing..

So, Back to the origional post and the question I origionally asked,
Has anyone done any Zinc Plating themselves and if so, any tips...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote