Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2019, 17:47   #1

You Tube - Mads rebuild of Athena

Hi,
Just wondering if anybody has looked at the OCD efforts of the guy from Denmark rebuilding a Warrior 38 "Athena". The videos go for years and whilst I am only half way through them, the OCD components are hilarious but the information gleaned is excellent.
cheers,

You can see it here.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...RHDH816FozYm5y

Apologies if this has already been discussed.
Davidla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:41   #2

Re: You Tube - Mads rebuild of Athena

Mads and his Oh Glorious Sanding... Yes, thats a good channel... He goes week after week on sanding and fiber glassing.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:50   #3

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Yes, been following him for a long time. It just goes to show that buying a mid-80s boat can easily result in needing to replace pretty much everything. At least when he does something he does it properly.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:59   #4

Boat: Bristol 41.1

I have been impressed how a computer guy has picked up such skills (on the job training), and has accomplished some major tasks, i.e., recoring/skinning the foredeck, building a rudder, etc.

And he makes pretty high quality videos. Worth a visit.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 13:17   #5

I believe he might even outdo Gib's of NCIS boat building in the basement of his home.

True dedication and one has to really enjoy the art and craftpersonship of refurbishment. It's about the journey.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 14:20   #6

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

He is soooo OCD with that boat. I don't think he's ever going to sail it. He seems to love the work too much. Hope he does get out on it though.

His videos are excellent, and have come on a long way from the ones he made aboard Obliex. Plus mad DIY skills. Overall it's a good channel.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:20   #7

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Every Sunday night I watch Mads and his project. I find it to be extremely informative, although his OCD sometimes drives me a little nuts. A classic example of this is the rudder build. It took him forever, and I just thought it dragged on forever, but that is just me. One thing that bothered me and others was the fact he has a bulkhead right in the middle of a portlight..I just kept obsessing over it, now it sounds like he is going to rectify that with his interior re-gut job.

I appreciate his input, and how well his videos are done, they are very informative, and well thought out.

I'm sure his boat will be "spiffy" once he is done, and in the meantime but Danish swearing vocabulary has grown immensely.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:04   #8

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

mikedefieslife. Mads rebuilt Obelix first then sailed it around Scandinavia for a bit, even when he started rebuilding Athena.
Cheers
Old 09-06-2019, 09:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
He is soooo OCD with that boat. I don't think he's ever going to sail it. He seems to love the work too much. Hope he does get out on it though.

His videos are excellent, and have come on a long way from the ones he made aboard Obliex. Plus mad DIY skills. Overall it's a good channel.

Guys (inclusive), the use of OCD doesn’t apply in the least to Mads, at least not in the true clinical sense. He has high standards, and the journey of methodically learning skills toward meeting those standards means that there is a learning curve and failures along the way. That’s not OCD, that’s just a computer guy who has his head buried in a screen all day doing something that involves his hands and his head which is not at all uncommon for folks who develop software. I’m a forty-year veteran of computer development, and deeply involved non-computerstuff hobbies are the norm for my colleagues and I.

I truly appreciate Mads’ videos and those of Andy from Boatworks Today, both of whom I support on Patreon. I have a 43-year-old Grand Banks (second year that they made fiberglass hulls) and need to do many of the sort of improvements that they have done to my old girl. Both Mads and Andy go into great detail about their thought processes leading to decisions and skills, and that is their true exceptional contribution to us all. It really is the journey and not the destination for those guys.
SpiritBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 13:49   #10

Boat: 1967 Mariner 40

And if you need any more u-tube vlogs to blow your mind on skills and perseverance, check out "Talley Ho"' and , "Acorn to Arrabella".
Larry T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 16:45   #11

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritBear View Post
Guys (inclusive), the use of OCD doesn’t apply in the least to Mads, at least not in the true clinical sense. He has high standards, and the journey of methodically learning skills toward meeting those standards means that there is a learning curve and failures along the way. That’s not OCD, that’s just a computer guy who has his head buried in a screen all day doing something that involves his hands and his head which is not at all uncommon for folks who develop software. I’m a forty-year veteran of computer development, and deeply involved non-computerstuff hobbies are the norm for my colleagues and I.

I truly appreciate Mads’ videos and those of Andy from Boatworks Today, both of whom I support on Patreon. I have a 43-year-old Grand Banks (second year that they made fiberglass hulls) and need to do many of the sort of improvements that they have done to my old girl. Both Mads and Andy go into great detail about their thought processes leading to decisions and skills, and that is their true exceptional contribution to us all. It really is the journey and not the destination for those guys.
You made the point I wanted to. I don’t think of Mads as OCD at all. He’s thorough, and careful, and has high standards, and leaves himself plenty of time to achieve them. Just because he doesn’t settle for a bodge job doesn’t mean he has OCD. Same with Andy, and others mentioned such as Tally Ho and Arabella.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 17:09   #12

Hey we went sailing on this weeks episode with Ava.... Actually sailing.
Old 09-06-2019, 20:42   #13

Boat: Catalona 36

I love his “spiffy” projects!
Reileyvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 22:45   #14

Boat: Spacesailer

It's pretty darn spiffy. The only problem I have is the I rely on the YouTube captions. NMEA becomes 'enemy a' which throws a bit of confusion into the mix.
MartinAdelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:45   #15

Boat: Freedom 38

I super love his spiffy videos. Curious how many people catch this trick of his every time he opens Athena's cabin hatch or a package. That sound he makes is something that people call an 'autonomous sensory meridian response.' Check out whispering videos for examples. His glorious, glorious sanding might even be an ASMR trigger. For me, I'm just in awe of his meticulous attention to detail and by the time he's finished, he'll have covered every boat project I still need to do....
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild