Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2018, 15:28   #1

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser, 12meters, 2004
You Don't Know What You Don't KNow-Preventative Maintenance

Ok, so I've owned this 2004 model boat now for 9 years and because it was relatively new when we bought it maintenance has been relatively simple and inexpensive for the most part. New diesel and oil filters every year along with an oil change. Anodes renewed every season as with the ablative bottom paint. A few suspect lines replaced. A new headsail two years ago was a little harder but not unexpected. Some of the electronics are showing their age. The curly cables on the vhf are shot both on the cockpit extension mic and the nav corner. My GPS antenna seems to take longer to get a signal, and sometimes not at all. I've heard that a seven year renewal cycle is pretty much it for marine gear, and that seems not far off the mark.

Many of the things that have proved expensive were the result of my own stupidity. Like when I lost the genoa sheet in strong weather and the bitter end whipped like a pistol shot as it shattered my clear on the dodger. Just glad it wasn't my face... Like when I attempted to do a mediterranean moor against my wife's better judgement in a strong outgoing wind and tide and we came alongside the jetty with a whump which would not have been so bad, fenders employed- but right there was an oversize cleat that protruderd half an inch from the protective timber of the jetty and gouged my virgin gelcoat.

But now I have a nagging in the back of my mind: What are the unseen things going on that I should be anticipating? What should I be thinking of proactively? I am a firm believer in "if it's not broke- don't fix it" but on the other hand I know full well that taken to extreme, it means a poorly maintained boat that is waiting for a combination of small failures that may lead to a catastrophic culmination and loss of property or limb!

What are the things I should be looking at? I have a Bavaria 38, with a V.P. D2- 55 engine and 120S saildrive (?) Furlex furling headsail and Selden inmast reefing main. Let me say I really appreciate the experience and wisdom of most posters on this forum- thanks in advance.

PS I also want to upgrade certain things, like improve my downwind performance with a gennaker or similar, get an AIS system, have a berth in a Marina, time to go sailing......
Kerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 18:16   #2

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Re: You Don't Know What You Don't KNow-Preventative Maintenance

Happen to be looking over my preventive maintenance list for this coming season when I read your post.
Mind I do not do all below every year but do enough items, along with a few
bigger projects a year, so that all are covered every couple of years.
In no particular order.
Clean out fuel tank.
Check, replaces hoses, belts. If replaced can keep old as spares. I keep new and old as spares.
Check, tighten all hose clamps on boat.
Change all deck fill o-rings. fuel fill, fresh water, holding tank. Think every 5 years.
Inspect standing rigging and spreaders.
Service/lub winches.
Flush raw water system with Rydlyme. (my raw water cooled boat)
Clean/flush heat exchanger (fresh water cooled boats)
Check/change zincs in engine/saildrive (my raw water cooled boat)
Check mixing elbow.
Check/measure raw water output at various rpm's (against recorded baseline)
Check/lub steering cable/quadrant.
Does anybody still have compass recalibrated? Am way overdue.
...and on and on...
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 19:09   #3

Looked in book, completed in 2017 preventive maintenance/upgrades.
(on 1985/33 year old boat.)
Replaced raw water intake valve in head.
Upgrade head.
Remove exhaust manifold, mixing elbow. Cleaned exhaust manifold, replaced mixing elbow.
Flushed motor with Rydlyme, replaced thermostat.
Replaced exhaust hose.
Mast down, inspect rig.
Replace headstay, new roller furling, all mast lights replaced,
Replace 2 sheaves and axle for main.
In addition to normal filters/oil/impeller changes.
Old 15-02-2018, 12:29   #4

hugosalt: Remove exhaust manifold, mixing elbow. Cleaned exhaust manifold, replaced mixing elbow.

I have a heat exchanger system. What decided you to work on these items? Was it simply time to do them, or were there signs that water flow was impeded?

Mast down, inspect rig.

I don't know how long you have had your particular boat and how old it is, so was this project just a matter of preempting future failure and so decided to inspect closely (and hence replacements) or had you been having trouble with them? Thanks for your input
Old 16-02-2018, 08:25   #5

Boat: 1996 Carver 355 Aft Cabin

The bedding used on thru deck fittings dries out over time. I don't think it needs to be done now, but in a few years you might want to re-bed cleats, stanchions, etc. if you can do so. Maybe someone else has a more accurate idea on how often this should be done.?
Capt Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 08:50   #6

Boat: Bavaria Vision 44

Hi Kerry,

We're also in Whangarei, we're moored at Kissing Point. Also a Bavaria (Vision series) with D2-55 & saildrive, spinnaker & gennaker, AIS system, and a bunch of other cruisey stuff.

Happy to get together to compare notes. I'm on 021 0278 5594.

Cheers,
Jim
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 12:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Hi Kerry,

We're also in Whangarei, we're moored at Kissing Point. Also a Bavaria (Vision series) with D2-55 & saildrive, spinnaker & gennaker, AIS system, and a bunch of other cruisey stuff.

Happy to get together to compare notes. I'm on 021 0278 5594.

Cheers,
Jim
Well that's great and interesting. We have had a mooring in Opua for donkey's years and just lately I've been hankering to find somewhere closer, especially in the offseason so I can spend more time tinkering on her. I've been looking for a pile mooring at Kissing Point for sometime and it seems there's a waiting list. So meanwhile, I just bought a swing mooring at Kaiwaka Point. A little further but not much.

Our boat is still at Opua, I thought I'd see what cyclone Gita does before coming down the coast to her new mooring. Thanks for your number I'll give you a call.
Old 16-02-2018, 13:33   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Kerry, one thing that should be on your list is to change the oil in the saildrive leg. And, as suggested above, it would be good to do the rebedding before winters rains come. You never know how long it will last for, but it's coming up on 15 yrs for that caulking.
Old 16-02-2018, 14:31   #9
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry1 View Post

But now I have a nagging in the back of my mind: What are the unseen things going on that I should be anticipating? What should I be thinking of proactively? I am a firm believer in "if it's not broke- don't fix it" but on the other hand I know full well that taken to extreme, it means a poorly maintained boat that is waiting for a combination of small failures that may lead to a catastrophic culmination and loss of property or limb!

Please remember there are only two modes of maintenance.

1. Unscheduled - fix it when it breaks.
2. Scheduled - inspect at regular intervals.

With the first, mostly you do not have the luxury of determining when to do the repair; with the second, the work is carried out at your choosing.

Some are happy with unscheduled work but generally not me...

YMMV
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 14:53   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
You Don't Know What You Don't KNow-Preventative Maintenance

Actually there is a third form of maintenance
Preventative, which simply states, replace it before it breaks, or overhaul or service it so that it doesn’t break. Think raw water pump impeller for instance, you can wait until it causes your motor to overheat and possibly damage it, and then get to disassemble the heat exchanger looking for bits, or you can change it preventively and forego all that other nonsense.
PM is scheduled, so I guess you could consider it part of scheduled Maintenance.
Any Ex Army guys will remember this magazine [emoji3]
https://www.amazon.com/PS-Magazine-P.../dp/0810997487
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 15:32   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Kerry, one thing that should be on your list is to change the oil in the saildrive leg. And, as suggested above, it would be good to do the rebedding before winters rains come. You never know how long it will last for, but it's coming up on 15 yrs for that caulking.
Thanks for that, yes I think the maintenance sched for the saildrive is every 2 years replace oil and redo the back to back seals on the bottom end. I'm not sure about the rebedding job, the winter rains arrived early (like summer!) We have had such a wet summer it's been crazy. Probably be the wettest Feb on record here, and cyclone Gita will clinch it I think. But yes, rebedding is not something I had been thinking of, will sure take it under advisement.
Old 18-02-2018, 15:51   #12

Quote:
Wotname:Please remember there are only two modes of maintenance.

1. Unscheduled - fix it when it breaks.
2. Scheduled - inspect at regular intervals.
Yep I hear you there, I have tended towards the Unscheduled side of things, Crisis Management is what others have called it! I don't want to be like that with our boat hence this thread.
Old 18-02-2018, 19:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry1 View Post
hugosalt: Remove exhaust manifold, mixing elbow. Cleaned exhaust manifold, replaced mixing elbow.

I have a heat exchanger system. What decided you to work on these items? Was it simply time to do them, or were there signs that water flow was impeded?

Mast down, inspect rig.

I don't know how long you have had your particular boat and how old it is, so was this project just a matter of preempting future failure and so decided to inspect closely (and hence replacements) or had you been having trouble with them? Thanks for your input
Bought boat new in 1985 and make a point to do preventive maintenance
every year a few projects large and small.

On exhaust manifold and mixing elbow, exhaust was looking a little nasty, checked exhaust elbow and although good had off so decided to change to SS one and could see manifold had some carbon build up so took off and cleaned. Now exhaust clean but want to take head off and do carbon and valve job. (Yanmar 3GM) Put on list. Don't know if that will get done this year.

Mast had not been down in 8 years so was time for close inspection of rig
Old roller furler was well old... had done all the revitalizing I could on it
but with rig down was time. Also all other lights aboard changed to LED
so now all LED on mast as well.

On your HE just open end cap, take a look, you will know if time to clean.
Radiator shop can do or do yourself not big job.
I flush my raw water system every few years (3-5)? Have to keep my
32 yo motor happy.

I make my list, prioritize and if I get half projects I plan for year done
I consider it a major victory.

Even so, are surprises.
This year is first year I left boat in water (Usually high and dry/covered)
Came back from great winter sail today on friends boat and checked mine to
find bilge pump on strike. Tomorrow will be checking/changing if needed. Was
on my list to change last season but not done. and so it goes...on and on...
Old 18-02-2018, 19:58   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

When did you last re-torgue your keel bolts ?
Old 19-02-2018, 03:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
When did you last re-torgue your keel bolts ?
Never. But everytime I haul out, usually every year, I pay close heed to the keel to hull joint, havn't seen any movement yet. I'm of two minds about retorquing bolts. When the head on an egine gets replaced it is torqued once, and once again after the engine has been run a while. After that, not ever again unless some trouble like a blown headgasket or other reason necessitates it. What is the consensus with keel bolts. Do they need retorquing because of bedding shrinkage or what? Are you in danger of pulling them through because of being embedded in lead? Thoughts?

Tags
maintenance