Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2009, 19:08   #1

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Yellow Bug Lights for Cockpit?

Don't know where this post fits best, but here it is.
I never thought the yellow bug lights that are sold for your deck at home would do much but after I tried one I found they worked very well.
They don't actually repel bugs, but they don't attract them.

Does anyone use yellow lights in their cockpit when your lounging at night?
Does anyone of any good yellow led lights that might be appropriate to use in the cockpit?
Any other experience out there along this line?

Exemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 02:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
...They don't actually repel bugs, but they don't attract them.
Does anyone use yellow lights in their cockpit when your lounging at night ...
Very true.

The difference between insects attracted to light and insects not attracted to light is a phenomenon known as phototaxis.

Certain insects such as cockroaches or earthworms have negative phototaxis, meaning they are repelled by exposure to light.

Moths, flies, mosquitoes, and many other night-flying insects have positive phototaxis, meaning they are naturally attracted to light. There are numerous interesting theories, that attempt to explain this phenomenon.

The vision of flying insects is shifted away from long-wavelength red toward the shorter blue and near ultraviolet (black light) wavelengths of the electromagnetic spectrum. Sources which radiate ultraviolet energy and blue light are most visible (attractive) to flying insects, while those with a deficiency of ultraviolet and blue are less visible (attractive).

Accordingly, insects cannot see the yellow light (as well as they can see blue or ultraviolet light), and are, if positively phototaxic, less attracted to it.

Floodlighting the cockpit, from a distance, also reduces any phototaxic attraction to the seating area.

Carbon dioxide is the most universally recognized mosquito attractant, and draws mosquitoes from up to 100 feet. When female mosquitoes sense carbon dioxide, they usually adopt a zigzagging flight path within the plume to locate its source. Once in the general vicinity of a potential host, other cues predominate, including body odours (sweat, lactic acid, etc.) and heat. Odours produced by skin micro-flora also play a part in inducing the mosquito to land. Over 350 compounds have been isolated from odours produced by human skin. Either singly or in combination, many of these compounds may be attractants - and many may be repellents. Visual stimuli, such as movement, also factor into host-seeking. What can be safely stated, though, is that ingestion of garlic, vitamin B12 and other systemics has been proven to have no impact on mosquito biting. Conversely, eating bananas did not attract mosquitoes as the myth suggests, but wearing perfumes does. People drinking beer have been shown to be more attractive to mosquitoes. Limburger cheese has also been found to be attractive. Scientists have theorized that this may explain the attractancy some mosquitoes find for human feet. Citronella candles have a mild repellent effect, but do not offer significantly more protection than other candles producing smoke.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 03:02   #3

Boat: Hylas 47
Unfortunately, the human body emits approximately 100 watts of UV light, as well as a significant quantity of carbon dioxide. Even sitting around in the dark we are sitting ducks!
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 04:11   #4

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by john540 View Post
Unfortunately, the human body emits approximately 100 watts of UV light, as well as a significant quantity of carbon dioxide. Even sitting around in the dark we are sitting ducks!
Doesn't sound possible to me, so did a quick search, found Hammatsu Photonics did a study and found fingernails emit 60 PHOTONS of light. This is far cry from watts.

Headlines on Human Hands: Human Hands emit Light!

Do you have a source? Just doesn't sound possible to me.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 04:39   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john540 View Post
A photon is an elemental partical, is virtually undetectable except in a laboratory, and the light is invisible to the naked eye.

Articles on “Biophoto Emission” ➥ author:Popp "‘Biophoton emission’ multi-author review." - Google Scholar

We do exhale CO2, the most significant insect attractant, in breathing.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 04:53   #6

Boat: Hylas 47
Oops, I made a mistake. I remembered the figure of 100 watts, but forgot that it was mostly infrared, not UV. Here's the link to the amount of blackbody radiation of some different objects, including humans.
SPI / library / blackbody radiators
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 05:39   #7

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
From my observations, Canadians possess positive phototaxis. Boat after boat of them go by here every year as our days get shorter...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 17:15   #8

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Okay Geeks

So if not yellow lights, what are sailors using?
Does anyone know of any good yellow led lights?
With the results I've experienced on my deck at my land home, I'll certainly be giving it a try.
It's just a matter of with what.

Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 18:26   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I have noticed fishermen seem to have phototaxis for each other.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote