Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2018, 01:03   #1

Boat: Eastward ho 24, Downeaster 32, scarab sprint 18
Yanmar 3gm30f year indetification and raw water pump identification

Yanmar 3gm30f serial number 12100
Can't figure out the year anyone know how to?( I've got no hr meter and the p.o. said he thinks a 1991 but he has no idea. So I'm down to the serial number to figure it out the boats a 1977 downeaster 32. So I do know it's not original)

I just destroyed my water pump">raw water pump and wasted a few hundered in parts. Put the bearings on the new shaft and forgot the clip that goes in the middle . Did a good job they're seized on the shaft now, also bent the race or flange where the shaft seal sits impeller side. Great job! Any how totally disgusted I'm just gonna buy a new pump and keep what's left of the old one as spares.

The pump I have has the shaft with the woodruff key not the through bolt. There's no numbers on the face plate. All I can figure is it's yanmar grey and has the woodruff key which tells me its Part #721575-42701 which was replaced by 721575-42702.I'm having pinning down the Johnson pump number that cross-references that. I've found There's also a different pump that goes on the European model that has a through bolt rather then the woodruff key. I've got so many windows open with pumps and parts I'm not sure that number my heads spinning. I've read conflicting info on if they are interchangeable or not. No one has
mentioned the flow rates .and i can't say this is the one that should be in the 3gm30f (previously replaced incorrectly or not). But after reading ;

Solved! Overheating Yanmar 3GM30 due to Johnson raw water pump not priming.

I'm really want to get the right pump.

Before I ever ran the motor ( I've owned her a year) I noticed the pully was sloppy on the shaft and the hole in the pulley( which is flattend on the sides) was rounding out and almost stripped allowing the shaft to spin inside the pulley. So I just replaced the pulley. Shame on me for not inspecting the shaft in which it sat. So the new pully installed ( with no noticably slop) after a few day trips I started to over heat. Well the new pulley is stripped and so is the shaft slightly. Some flat washers and epoxy lots of curses and drill bits thrown overboard I was able to get back in.

So I can only assume one or all or any combination of ; I never noticed the shaft was starting to strip and just by adding the new pulley it was a matter of time until it stripped out the pulley due to improper seat, I had the belt to tight, or the washer behind the pulley is wrong thus pulling it out of alignment and eventually failure,and or it's a bad design. But it's all apart now and scatterd so I can't investigate further into the cause. I'm getting the feeling it's a poor design is one of the contributing causes.im just gonna get a new one. I think anchor makes a replacement and so does Johnson. Which is the best design any testimonials?google searching has lead me down so many roads I'm not sure what road I started on.

After ordering the new parts I noticed the washer behind the pulley and the one in front some drawings have them slotted to mate into the slotted shaft and some diagrams have just flat washers. I can't see either or making a difference? If so what washers do I need?

Long winded but jeeezz can this be this confusing or have I been up way too long!

How to identify year of motor?

What pump is supposed to be on the 3gm30f( not the European)?

Is there a difference other between the euorpean and Japan pumps other then the shaft ie are they interchangeable?

Is there a Johnson or any other options to interchange that are a better design?
Eastward ho 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 02:07   #2

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Yanmar 3gm30f year indetification and raw water pump identification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastward ho 24 View Post
What pump is supposed to be on the 3gm30f( not the European)?

Is there a difference other between the euorpean and Japan pumps other then the shaft ie are they interchangeable?

Is there a Johnson or any other options to interchange that are a better design?
I'm not sure I understood all of what you wrote, Eastward ho.

My understanding is that Yanmar 3GM30F built in Europe were delivered with the Johnson raw water pump. Engines built in Japan were delivered with the K W pump. There are minor differences between the two pumps - one of the chief differences being the impeller and how it mates with the shaft.

My 3GM30F was also identifed as European-built by having an E prefix to the engine number.

I don't know how to decode the Yanmar engine numbers.

I carry two or three complete raw water pumps. I simply bought a new complete K W pump from a Yanmar dealer (or a pump dealer, whichever was cheapest) and cut a new mounting bracket from a piece of mild steel plate.
Old 22-08-2018, 02:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
My understanding is that Yanmar 3GM30F built in Europe were delivered with the Johnson raw water pump. Engines built in Japan were delivered with the K W pump. There are minor differences between the two pumps - one of the chief differences being the impeller and how it mates with the shaft.
After a quick look in my engine spares locker:

The exact K W pump model is K W 01K-19.

Cast bronze body, uses a gasket (not an O-ring) to seal the pump cover; has hex-headed machine screws to hold the cover in place; has a key that fits into the shaft to lock the impeller to the shaft.
Old 22-08-2018, 02:22   #4

The Johnson pump that came with my Euro-built Yanmar 3GM30F has

"Johnson Pump AB Sweden, F4B-903, 10-24509-09 9906" written on it.
Old 22-08-2018, 11:23   #5
Marine Service Provider

I put the euro pump on my japan built motor. It is cheaper and works fine. exact fit.

the only thing to keep in mind is that you should have a couple of the lip seals on hand. We store our boat for lengths of time and occasionally have to replace that seal. it costs about 3 dollars and is an easy job.
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 11:39   #6

Boat: Eastward ho 24, Downeaster 32, scarab sprint 18

I just went ahead and ordered the Yan 721575-42702. Was a little pricey but I all ready have all the sparesfrom the one I destroyed. Looks like I really got into reaseaeching and confused myself pretty good last night. Any takers on finding the years on these yanmars?
Eastward ho 24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, pump, raw water, raw water pump, water, yanmar