Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2020, 07:04   #1

Boat: Beneteau 331
Yanmar 2qm15 prepare for season

Given all the other work I have taken on, I was going to have the boat yard prep the engine for the season. With the lifting of the ban on May 1 (hopefully) I am sure everyone is going to be clamoring to get on the list to get this work done. Now I am considering doing this work myself.

Here is what I understand needs to be done.

Replace impeller
Replace fuel filter
Replace oil filter
Engine Oil
Transmission Oil

Good to do:

Thermostat
Zinc

Does that sound right?

Are there any particular hints in this process you can give? I've read that replacing the impeller requires removing the water pump. Is that true? Also does it require a puller to get off.

Also I'd like to give it a start on the hard before I get it in the launch well and discover its not starting. I suppose that involves disconnecting the hose to the seacock and replacing it with a hose to a 5 gallon bucket of water.
Tmacmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 11:29   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 27 - 1978
Re: Yanmar 2qm15 prepare for season

I pulled my zinc out of the engine and squeezed it and it crumbled in my hands, thank god I checked. It only takes a minute or two to check internal Zinc, I would highly recommend it. In addition, if you are doing an engine overhaul for the quarantine, maybe replace the alternator belts.
Old 15-04-2020, 12:02   #3

Re: Yanmar 2qm15 prepare for season

the water pump impeller you're talking about is a small belt driven unit, close the seacock supplying water, there's 3 screws that hold the cover on. grease the impeller lightly with some silicone grease, replace the gasket with a new one when buttoning up the unit. you should have 2 fuel filters, one small paper one in the fuel bowl that feeds the injectors and another at a fuel water separator. both simple to change. there's a number of threads here on doing this. you might check the last time the valves were adjusted. another simple job, I think the adjustment interval is 500 hours. Again, there's a few good threads here. Btw, not all the engines have the internal zincs.

Pat
Tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2qm15, yanmar