Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2020, 03:56   #76
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Workshop tools go walkabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
Sorry to admit this, but I actually wore out a good Sidchrome 10mm socket.
I remember buying it to work on a Honda motorcycle in 1967.
Using it one day, it slipped, the teeth had all worn out....
Back then, Sidchrome had a lifetime warranty.
If you still have it, take it in to a Sidchrome dealer and see if they will replace it!

The worst that can happen is that they say no!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 05:33   #77

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
If you still have it, take it in to a Sidchrome dealer and see if they will replace it!

I snapped a 15 inch Sidchrome shifter, Took it in and they replaced it with out question,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 07:29   #78

Boat: Cruising yacht 37’

Hahaha good post,there’s nothing like the stunned silence when working on deck when you drop a tool overboard and wait for the splash,lol.
Discovery 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 07:49   #79

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 3 View Post
Hahaha good post,there’s nothing like the stunned silence when working on deck when you drop a tool overboard and wait for the splash,lol.
And holding your breath during that time.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 08:08   #80

Well, I am certainly relieved to find out I am not the only one suffering with this problem. Prior to owning a boat I drove a British sports car, Triumph TR-6 for several years. This of course required keeping a full set of tools in the trunk. Several times I was able to locate lost tools I inadvertently left under the hood by the sound they made as they hit the fan on their way to the highway. if you were quick enough you could see them bouncing about in your rearview mirror as you sped away.

One lesson I learned when driving a British sports car. Always have at least one small diameter mag light that you can hold in your teeth so both hands are free to work on you car when broken down in the dark. Plus you wont lose the flashlight as often when you hold it with your teeth.

Now I keep that toolbox on the boat.
Sapphir3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 12:31   #81

Never use good tools on a boat, they are always the ones to disappear or splash.
The cheap stuff seems to last forever.

It’s a bit like weddings, the duration of a marriage is inversely proportional to the cost of the wedding...
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 13:30   #82

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
Never use good tools on a boat, they are always the ones to disappear or splash.
The cheap stuff seems to last forever.

It’s a bit like weddings, the duration of a marriage is inversely proportional to the cost of the wedding...
I can't agree with that logic. I'd rather let a good tool splash than have a cheap one fail when needed the most. A replacement might not be at a Lowes around the corner.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 13:37   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 3 View Post
Or watching it disappear underneath the engine as it slips out of your oily fingers.
Poche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 14:06   #84

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphir3 View Post
Prior to owning a boat I drove a British sports car, Triumph TR-6 for several years.

One lesson I learned when driving a British sports car. Always have at least one small diameter mag light that you can hold in your teeth so both hands are free to work on you car when broken down in the dark.
Why do the British like warm beer?
Because Lucas also makes their refrigerators!

Lucas, prince of darkness.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 15:54   #85

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

I used to live around the corner from the factory at one time. Returned a number of tools that had failed over a few years. Only one was faulty manufacture, the others had just worn out. All replaced without hassle on the spot except for this one time the mechanic at the place I worked gave me a cracked socket to get replaced. They were pretty quick to identify it as damage from being used on a pneumatic impact driver so no lollies that day!
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 16:43   #86

Boat: S&S Catalina 38

My screwdrivers like to mess with me. Last month I could not find any of my Phillips drivers, but had all the flat heads. Last week they switched, no flatheads to be found, but all the Phillips were back. I think the 10mm and 13 mm socket have joint custody.
tsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 17:30   #87

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I used to live around the corner from the factory at one time. Returned a number of tools that had failed over a few years. Only one was faulty manufacture, the others had just worn out. All replaced without hassle on the spot except for this one time the mechanic at the place I worked gave me a cracked socket to get replaced. They were pretty quick to identify it as damage from being used on a pneumatic impact driver so no lollies that day!
You lived in West Heidelberg, Hahaha
The factory has gone, My mate worked there when it was shut down, Sad,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 17:45   #88

Boat: Beneteau 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphir3 View Post
Well, I am certainly relieved to find out I am not the only one suffering with this problem. Prior to owning a boat I drove a British sports car, Triumph TR-6 for several years. This of course required keeping a full set of tools in the trunk. Several times I was able to locate lost tools I inadvertently left under the hood by the sound they made as they hit the fan on their way to the highway. if you were quick enough you could see them bouncing about in your rearview mirror as you sped away.

One lesson I learned when driving a British sports car. Always have at least one small diameter mag light that you can hold in your teeth so both hands are free to work on you car when broken down in the dark. Plus you wont lose the flashlight as often when you hold it with your teeth.

Now I keep that toolbox on the boat.

Had a ‘67 MGB. Windshield wipers worked fine until it rained; then they immediately quit working. Tore the wiring apart and replaced the entire assembly. Next time it rained they immediately stopped working.
Sailed from Puerto Vallarta to Cabo San Lucas. Took some great pics along the way. The moment we anchored in Cabo the camera slipped from my grasp, bounced on the deck and immediately leapt over the starboard rail.
Plangstraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2020, 17:53   #89

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
You lived in West Heidelberg, Hahaha
The factory has gone, My mate worked there when it was shut down, Sad,

Close. I lived in Preston for a bit!
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 02:14   #90
HJZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Does anyone else have this problem?

I buy a brand-new set of tools and within days one of the set goes missing. Do you think I can find it? It eventually turns up but in its' own time

Two years ago I bought a quality center-punch. I used it for a couple of months and then it went walkabout. I searched high and low for it but it was gone. Then yesterday morning there it was - on the bench. Where on earth had it been in the last two years?
it might help you! But maybe you should write down which tools you use per job you do on your boat! Then you will know which tools you used for which job! There are a few advantages if you do this. 1. Every job has a certain location where most likely you will find your missing tools! 2. you will know how many tools you used and if you count the amount after you finished you will know if miss any tools! 3 If you keep these notes for maybe a year or longer is of course always better you will have a selection of tools you really need to have with you! The rest you can leave at home because it's only ballast and that should be stored in your .....! There are more advantage but this most important ones! Work clean and count your tools! This is how maintance personel is trained in the aviation industry to prevent mistakes that can result in loss of lives. I hope it helps you to keep your tools under control! Then you know where you can find them if you most need them!
Hans
HJZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
work