Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2020, 08:46   #16

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Workshop tools go walkabout

The spare 10mm 3/8"-drive socket is stored behind the refrigerator on the boat. I know its exact location. Retrieving it when needed....

Was working on a control panel at a client's site. Put my hand on the top of the panel (just above eye level). Came down with the Crescent wrench (adjustable spanner) that I had lost a year previous. And, yes, there was a new one in my kit
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:48   #17

Boat: Baba 35

I was pretending to twirl my big screwdriver like a ninja and I ended up throwing it in the ocean. This just happened.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:05   #18

Boat: Iroquois 30 Mark 2

Tape measures, pencils and 13m spanners seem to disappear with a regular frequency. We must have at least 10 tape measures around the boat
sashabubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:17   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Does anyone else have this problem?

I buy a brand-new set of tools and within days one of the set goes missing. Do you think I can find it? It eventually turns up but in its' own time

Two years ago I bought a quality center-punch. I used it for a couple of months and then it went walkabout. I searched high and low for it but it was gone. Then yesterday morning there it was - on the bench. Where on earth had it been in the last two years?
Everybody! Those meticulous about putting their tools up, in a specific spot, after each use are far less plagued with it. I'm not.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:17   #20

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Old age = diminished memory. But on a more serious note, I have found that I "lose" fewer tools if a spread a large fluffy towel under the item I am working on. This keeps tools, parts, nuts and bolts from bouncing out of the work area and keeps deck dings from the heavier items to a minimum. I have also accepted that I need to carry a small magnetic parts holder for all the steel nuts and bolts when I work on my engines in the engine compartment. Beats trying to scramble around with a magnet, in the engine sump, trying to find that elusive 13 mms nut.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:30   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

I find that during a project most missing tools are hiding under my butt. But some just walk away to normally show up again on their own (you hear that 8mm combo ratcheting box end wrench?)
Old 07-01-2020, 09:42   #22

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Measuring tapes, I have about 10 and sometimes I run out....

I bought an organizer for my small tools, the ones I can never find. Not sure where it is and now I can't find any of them.
ya'know, the problem is I ain't getting any yunger! Someone says eat more peanuts, but it has a side effect...
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:44   #23

Boat: Nonsuch 354

Tools have a consciousness. Like the socks from the wash, they occasionally try to escape to fulfill their destiny. If it doesn't work out, they come back.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:45   #24

Hello
I have a large fully equipped workshop at home which is also my business, I also have a large mobile tool kit as well as all the tools I could possible need on the boat. Tools are constantly disappearing and reappearing, I have come to the conclusion that there are Aliens following me around and deliberately hiding things to make my life as difficult as possible.
SeanCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:56   #25

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Mine are usually with 1/2 of a pair of socks. Another weird physics conundrum to me is how you can put a bunch of cordage or electrical wires into say a box, all neatly laid in and later they are all tied in knots. I think one year I might set up a time lapse camera to watch a bunch of dock lines come to life and secure themselves to each other.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:10   #26

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadster3 View Post
Tools have a consciousness. Like the socks from the wash, they occasionally try to escape to fulfill their destiny. If it doesn't work out, they come back.

Perhaps the tool box, like the dryer, is a gateway to another dimension! It seems our tools have a higher level of consciousness than we realized and are able to navigate this portal. I think a government grant to study this is in order. Perhaps $3 million and 18 months should be enough to develop a plausible theory, or at least enough to get a follow on grant.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:15   #27

Boat: Pearson 10M

Through years of careful observation and research I have determined that the variable quantum state of tools is the issue. The tool is both where you left it and in another quantum state at the same time. However when you look for said tool, the observation changes the state and the tool is no longer observable. Eventually after the tool has gone thru many dimensions it will return. I believe then the quantum state will transfer to another tool ( entanglement?) and then that tool goes missing.

I thought the same for socks but i think that is due to a troll living behind my dryer.
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:23   #28

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

The bilge monster has them. You must have a small shrine in your engine room to appease him. In any case he will not return the 10mm socket
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 10:58   #29

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

I know exactly what your going through and feel your pain. I must have least three or four of most small tools because they go walkabout but often turn up within hours of finally buying a replacement... it's infuriating. Don't know if it's an age thing as well because it seems to happen more and more as I get older, and, like you say it usually turns up under your nose even though you've searched and searched that very space where it reappears. I don't have kids or others around that borrow them so I can only assume it's little green men or the 'borrowers' (fairies)
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:04   #30

THIS:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61411756_2211919802258059_2969002907657043968_n.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	206495  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags