Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2021, 20:11   #1

Boat: Pearson 30
Wood textured vinyl

Hi all, I have a very tired looking boat interior. I was thinking of using self adhesive vinyl to cover up some of the old looking laminate.
Has anyone done that? I'm afraid that it might peel off with the humidity.
Thanks
cla6665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 20:39   #2

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.
Re: Wood textured vinyl

Saw something similar but using flexible woodgrain vinyl flooring,and the proper adhesive for that......even gone to the extent of having 'plugs' set in..... . I t had been done by a professional floor layer........looked like planks and very 'marine like' and so easy to keep clean.....
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 00:11   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cla6665 View Post
Hi all, I have a very tired looking boat interior. I was thinking of using self adhesive vinyl to cover up some of the old looking laminate.
Thanks
Entire exteriors are done in it and at least one member here has it in their interior and itís stuck there for decades they said in one of my threads. You can vinyl wrap anything. A 30ft Pearson? Not a huge area inside. Give it a shot and see how it goes. Even if just ok one wall.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cla6665 View Post
Thanks
I wouldn't be inclined to do this because of the tendency for mould to grow underneath due to the humidity...

Chotu, I'm surpised you would recommend this - especially with the extensive lengths you are going through to prevent any and all eventualities of potential mould on your boat that you're currently building.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
I wouldn't be inclined to do this because of the tendency for mould to grow underneath due to the humidity...

Chotu, I'm surpised you would recommend this - especially with the extensive lengths you are going through to prevent any and all eventualities of potential mould on your boat that you're currently building.

LittleWing77
Mold won’t grow behind vinyl wrap. It’s an air tight barrier. There are a few (very few) spots I’m using it decoratively.

We are not talking about those old, ugly vinyl headliners, which I think you may be picturing. We are talking about the stuff they put on cars and city busses instead of a paint job.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:25   #6

Boat: Viking 30

I think the OP is taking about vinyl plank flooring rather than vinyl wrapping. Done well, it looks real and will stay in place. I would avoid the cheap self adhesive sheet type, particularly as flooring but then I havenít used it, just seen some ordinary looking results. The plank systems that are supplied with their own adhesive seem to be very good.
MollyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJo View Post
I think the OP is taking about vinyl plank flooring rather than vinyl wrapping. Done well, it looks real and will stay in place. I would avoid the cheap self adhesive sheet type, particularly as flooring but then I havenít used it, just seen some ordinary looking results. The plank systems that are supplied with their own adhesive seem to be very good.
OK. Maybe they are. Maybe we donít really know what the OP is talking about. I think they should clarify a little bit. Because I think we are thinking of different things. I definitely wouldnít put any vinyl flooring up there on the wall. I would only use a vinyl wrap. Otherwise, everything that littlewing said is going to apply.

Tags
wood