Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2011, 10:34   #1

Wood Maintenance on the Top Side

Bear with me here as I am fairly new to this sailing business. I am currently looking at boats and learning a bit here and there. While looking at a few models, I got very interested in the Beneteau yachts. I pointed one out to my wife and the first thing that came out her mouth was: "that looks really nice, but all that wood on the top of the boat looks like it would require a lot of frequent maintenance". Didn't even occur to me until she said something about it. Looks nice, but it does beg the question. How often and what type of maintenance does it require?
dgasmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 11:23   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Wood maintenance on the top side

Wood trim looks great at the dock, where you'll need to be to maintain it. You wanna cruise or sand?
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 11:31   #3
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey Tellie.... That's mean!

It only needs that much maintenance if you wanna keep it looking good!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 11:32   #4

Boat: csy 37

what tellie says.

i've got a boat with too much wood on it. beautiful to look at when it's been refinished but the biggest single pita on the boat. when looking at boats to buy, think of wood as being a negative rather than a positive. (note: i make this statement knowing that i'm a truly lazy person).

tell the admiral that if she really likes wood that much it will be her job to maintain it.

and if you must buy a boat with too much teak, i have only one thing to say to you; starbrite tropical teak oil. it's not simply an oil - it contains uv inhibitors which actually protect the finish. the first time i used it the teak still looked good after two years in the florida sun. a single recoat and it looked good for another two years. it requires very little prep and is easy to apply. just be sure to mask off anything nearby as it is a pita to remove from anything it needs to be removed from.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 11:50   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Wood Maintenance on the Top Side

lol my 110 ft of teak caprail AND OTHER WOOD TOPSIDES USUALLY TAKES ONLY 6 HOURS PER year TO MAINTAIN--I USE THE TIME TESTED METHOD OF SEA WATER WASH AND OIL AFTER. WORKS WELL.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 14:05   #6

These images below illustrate what I am referring to. Although these are the particular boat specifically, they are all Beneteau. All the teak flooring on the top side is what I am talking about. I see that, and I don't even see "nice". All I see is labor for no good reason LOL............

Old 23-04-2011, 14:38   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Wood Maintenance on the Top Side

Actually 'all that wood' needs little more maintainance than 'all that plastic'....
Never seen a white GRP deck after a long passage where the sea waters dried n left little rust spots all over....??
But if it bothers you that much have a chat with Beneteau... the price range and size you looking at I'm pretty sure they'd be happy to do the topside in fur if you wanted.... for a suitable non-refundable 40% first deposit on the build....
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 14:42   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

It is quite simple with teak decks: you do the maintenance or else it looks like you don't.

I have never seen much issue with new decks as long as they have been taken care off. But I have seen 9 c()p looking decks to each 1 looking great. And the one looking great was more often due to the boat being brand new than due to the owner's due attention.

Correction: big, expensive toys with pro crews do have decks looking very well most of the time.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 06:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
But if it bothers you that much have a chat with Beneteau... the price range and size you looking at I'm pretty sure they'd be happy to do the topside in fur if you wanted.... for a suitable non-refundable 40% first deposit on the build....
That would be awesome! I wonder if they could do it in leopard print with baby seal skin cushions and manatee skin trimming.

Tags
maintenance