Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2017, 15:24   #1

Wood Delamination Below Deck

I'm looking at a Hunter 33 that I may be able to get at a really good price, however there are a couple of issues that I'm not really sure how serious they will be. The biggest issue I see so far is that the wood on the supports that the chainplates are fastened to seems to be delaminating.

See the 17th picture in this listing for reference:
1982 Hunter 33/SL Cherubini Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com-

This isn't the boat but it's the best picture I can find and its having the exact same problem. The wood seems to be solid underneath the layer that is essentially peeling off. I am handy with woodwork but have limited experience restoring, especially with water related damage. Can I simply remove the delaminated layer and refinish and reattach the rigging, would I need to replace these wood pieces entirely (and how difficult is this), or is this a run away type of problem?

The liner around the wood (again similar to the one pictured above) shows no signs of moisture, neither do the cushions below.

I'm really hoping this is not a huge issue because this boat is otherwise relatively solid (electronics function, motor runs, sails in decent shape, most of the wood in great shape, etc.) and I could get it for next to nothing.

What say you CF, is this a cosmetic issue or would I end up having to rip apart the whole boat to repair this correctly?
morrchr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 16:17   #2

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Re: Wood Delamination Below Deck

It could be cosmetic, or it could be serious. No way to tell from a photo without performing some exploratory surgery.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 16:43   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrchr1 View Post
I'm looking at a Hunter 33 that I may be able to get at a really good price, however there are a couple of issues that I'm not really sure how serious they will be. The biggest issue I see so far is that the wood on the supports that the chainplates are fastened to seems to be delaminating.

See the 17th picture in this listing for reference:
1982 Hunter 33/SL Cherubini Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com-

This isn't the boat but it's the best picture I can find and its having the exact same problem. The wood seems to be solid underneath the layer that is essentially peeling off. I am handy with woodwork but have limited experience restoring, especially with water related damage. Can I simply remove the delaminated layer and refinish and reattach the rigging, would I need to replace these wood pieces entirely (and how difficult is this), or is this a run away type of problem?

The liner around the wood (again similar to the one pictured above) shows no signs of moisture, neither do the cushions below.

I'm really hoping this is not a huge issue because this boat is otherwise relatively solid (electronics function, motor runs, sails in decent shape, most of the wood in great shape, etc.) and I could get it for next to nothing.

What say you CF, is this a cosmetic issue or would I end up having to rip apart the whole boat to repair this correctly?
Always the potential for a serious issue but not a huge issue although huge is relative to the eyes of the beholder.

The delamination is most likely due to very small amounts moisture coming down the chainplate and being trapped against the wood.

The concern is more likely to be the potential crevice corrosion of the presumably SS chainplates on the surface against the wood. This will make the chainplates a throw away item. You will only know after the chainplates are removed. I would suggest they are most likely stuffed!

But if this is the only problem on a "for next nothing boat", then go for it. Rip out the chainplates, get new ones, repair / replace the wood and re-rig. Do one or two at a time.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 17:39   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

Wood is likely a veneer that you can remove & replace, or simply remove & paint over instead. Investigation will tell you what you need to know & then do. We had similar problems with a bulkhead "buckling" from water incursion. Removed the veneer and relplaced it. Four coats of varnish later, it looks original. Bulkhead itslelf is a fiberglass panel tabbed in to the hull, so whatever we were did was only going to be cosmetic.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, delamination