Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2016, 13:35   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Wood Base Plate Rot

I have some through-hulls without true seacocks, but simple stainless ball valves set in bronze for a couple of sink drains as well as a spare unused through-hull in my engine room. These are set on wood plates from their original installation and approximately twenty years old.

I was lubricating and exercising all my seacocks and ball valves today and noticed that my one spare unused ball valve in my engine room had an area of dry rot on a top corner of the wood disk.

By my bottom condition, I'm not planning to hull out for two years. The current amount of rot is not encroaching upon the area of the metal through-hull but I want to stop it's advance. This one with the rot was treated differently as I had covered the wood with a thick white paint when my engine room was empty for repowering and fuel tank replacements.

So,.. a biocide ..... a nonviscous impregnating expoxy ..... entomb it .... let it aerate .......? What's my best strategy to buy some more time?
Old 06-05-2016, 14:05   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Wood Base Plate Rot

All our through hull fittings are extra long threads and mounted on over2" thick white oak or purple heart blocks. Our boat is wood as well. Paint can hold moisture under its surface promoting rot by the way. Our blocks are about half and half painted vs natural finish with a sealer.

If your backing block is composite or plywood it may rot quickly without a proper sealant.

You could remove paint and then apply a penetrating sealant that will displace water. Then repaint. Choices of sealants include smiths clear penetrating epoxy sealant 'CPES' as well as the Wolner Woodlife Classic which happens to be water based and water cleanup.

The sorts of things that folks wary of rot place on various parts of wood boats include a wide range of products. You can use a red lead primer or white lead paste mixed into a paint as lead seems to stave off some aspects of rot. Others use mildewcides and additives to paints. Some folks swear by a soak in ethylene glycol (yes antifreeze) and some people will use a coating of bees wax for its water resistance and natural antimicrobal properties. Finally there's a trick of using Stockholm pine tar dissolved in a bit of turpentine (and a touch of Japan dryer to make it cure) to preserve suspect wood.

If you don't have a wood boat you probably shouldn't have wood backing blocks JMO.

If it were my boat I would use what I have handy-short term that is. So if the wood isn't too punky I would want to soak it with many coats of CPES or Woodlife and then paint it with red lead primer or white lead paste mixed into another paint. I have all these materials at hand.

If you don't have any of the materials I mentioned, I dunno, because often using what's readily available is the best fix.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-05-2016, 14:41   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Re: Wood Base Plate Rot

I'm not underway or moving about soon. I'm docked in a good size city. I have everything available. I like the penetrating epoxy plan, but I could treat with a biocide or ethylene glycol first.

While were at it,- what about an alternate back up plate,- composite? Should I care?

I was buying light bulbs today and judging between the 9 year bulb and the eleven year bulb for a slightly higher cost. 'not a choice that I'm going to be concerned with!
Old 06-05-2016, 17:59   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

You probably won't do any change out until your next haul out. Being a wood boat person, I can't really advise regarding the right backing material for a fiberglass hull. I just don't think wood is it. 😏

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-05-2016, 20:19   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
You probably won't do any change out until your next haul out. Being a wood boat person, I can't really advise regarding the right backing material for a fiberglass hull. I just don't think wood is it. 😏
G10 is the best choice for a backing material on fiberglass boats. Fiberglass is a good second choice. In both cases epoxied to the hull.

Some links to help:

Seacock & Thru-Hull Primer/Pre Information Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

Replacing Thru-Hulls and Seacocks Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

Seacock Backing Plates / Alternate Method / No Through Bolts Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 21:50   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

IMO, Hudson, a timber backer well treated with epoxy is quite acceptable in your hull. The epoxy will keep water out, and that keeps rot away. It is not a structure that is exposed to much stress, after all. G-10 or glass laid up with polyester to an appropriate thickness would be good, but not necessary.

Jim
Old 07-05-2016, 22:00   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Why are we defending wood? $2 worth of GRP would have been forever. Silly.
Old 07-05-2016, 23:17   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

There are various ways to fit new ones without hauling out, if such is off interest. Albeit, generally they're not quite as neat & clean a fit, as if fitted in the standard manner. Nor, necessarily are they meant to be permanent.
Though much of the quality of fit & installation depends upon how you put them in. So if it's truly rotten...

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 00:02   #9

Boat: Island Packet 40

I use disks cut from 1/2" - 3/4" poly cutting board for a lot of this stuff these days, cheap, easy to find, does not corrode or rot, has a little give which helps both preloading and over tightening?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 00:47   #10

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I use disks cut from 1/2" - 3/4" poly cutting board for a lot of this stuff these days, cheap, easy to find, does not corrode or rot, has a little give which helps both preloading and over tightening?
Hate to have to tell you this, since it sounds as if you already have some of this material installed. But it has very little strength, & doesn't belong in such a critical application.
I've seen it crack, & or split, under any kind of significant loading. Especially point or shock loads. And the properties of this material were covered in depth in a recent thread.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:32   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I will treat this one back up plate with something, likely an epoxy, in order to keep it in satisfactory condition until my next haul out. It's important to note that this one plate was mistreated by me when I entombed it 15 years ago.

The eight other identical wood plates that were installed over twenty years ago are in excellent condition and look like they will remain so beyond my lifetime. I can't fault the wood.

I'll likely be more attentive to the condition of the bronze fittings when selecting replacement than the wood plates; however, any through haul that needs attention will be fully replaced.

Thanks for all the ideas.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:08   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Hudson, I think you've got the right plan. Treat it now with penetrating epoxy like Git Rot and keep an eye on it until you can replace it. Groco sells ready made fiberglass backing blocks that are pre drilled to fit their seacocks, their flanged adapters and Apollo seacocks.
Groco Seacock Backing Block

Tags
rot