Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: How do you cover your boat for outdoor winter storage?
Custom made canvas winter cover 19 38.78%
Shrink wrap 8 16.33%
Homemade tarps 14 28.57%
No Cover 8 16.33%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2018, 14:02   #1

Question Winter Storage - To Cover or not to cover?

So I am looking for different opinions on winter coverage options for storing in the Great Lakes area. This will be my first season storing this boat, it will be outside on a cradle. The area in Michigan gets a lot of snow. I have been hearing lots of different opinions about using a cover, or not. I have heard some claim canvas covers and shrink wrap both hold in too much moisture, and you are better leaving it uncovered.

I sort of cringe at the idea of the boat being covered in snow all winter, but the idea of moisture inside is not great either.

What is your experience? How do you protect your boat when storing outside over the winter?
maddog5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 14:18   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Winter Storage - To Cover or not to cover?

It really depends on the type of boat, and the expected winter conditions you have.

I’ve always covered. With a previous boat I made my own out of conduit and cheap tarps. The tarps would last three seasons in northern Ontario (Thunder Bay) winters, which I suspect were harsher than what you’re facing. For my current boat I bought a custom-made canvas cover.

There are a number of issues to consider with snow on a boat. Snow can be very heavy, so think about the added load on the boat and cradle if you expect a lot.

The bigger issue will water going through freeze-thaw cycling, which can wreak havoc on decks.

Moisture can be an issue, but there are easy ways to provide enough ventilation. I’ve never had a problem with either the plastic tarp nor the canvas one.

The biggest problem with tarping can be the added windage this creates, and the dangers this might present to your boat on the hard.
Old 11-09-2018, 16:21   #3

Boat: Mirage 35

I believe in covering. Our area (east end of Lake Ontario) goes through cycles of snow / freeze / thaw / freezing rain / repeat that just seem to me to offer too many risks for damage.

Last winter (first season of ownership) I paid for shrink wrap, but am now getting a custom cover made: financial payback on the investment is 3 - 4 years. One thing I don’t know yet is whether the solar fan on the main cabin hatch will continue to work over the winter - with shrink wrap enough light got through to drive it and it helps keep things dry(er) and fresh(er).
Old 11-09-2018, 16:35   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

We just tent the cockpit for the winter to keep the majority of the snow out of the cockpit and scuppers.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 18:30   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

There are always easy ways to ventilate under any type cover obviating any concern in that respect. Water freezing on a deck is the major considerations requiring covers unless you don't care about cracks in your deck.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 18:59   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
I believe in covering. Our area (east end of Lake Ontario) goes through cycles of snow / freeze / thaw / freezing rain / repeat that just seem to me to offer too many risks for damage.

Last winter (first season of ownership) I paid for shrink wrap, but am now getting a custom cover made: financial payback on the investment is 3 - 4 years. One thing I don’t know yet is whether the solar fan on the main cabin hatch will continue to work over the winter - with shrink wrap enough light got through to drive it and it helps keep things dry(er) and fresh(er).

I have a Fairclough custom canvas cover. It admits enough to light to keep my solar vent fan going throughout the winter. I guess the amount of light penetration really depends on the material used in construction of the cover. My cover has been trouble free since first installed in 2011.
To combat any musty smell I have a couple buckets in the cabin with a gallon of white vinegar in each. I've never had any mold or mildew issues and the cabin smells fresh in the spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	177234  
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 19:43   #7

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

I have always covered in the Duluth/Superior area with zero moisture issues. I like to work on my boat in the spring which would be difficult without a cover. Last winter I was shrink wrapped with no special ventilation but I do have a large volume under the cover.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 19:56   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We always covered but it was not laced tightly at the stern. I prop the hatches up 1-1/2 inch and lift many of the floor boards. All cushions off. I keep the snow off by popping it from inside. A mass of snow on deck all winter could find its way into the core and wreck varnish. Open, I could not vent and dry the interior. The first weeks of colder weather causes the interior to act as a reflux condenser. It nearly rains inside until the Hull is permanently cold and residual water is gone.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:09   #9

I would cover, freeze/thaw cycles can be brutal on exposed decks, etc.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:26   #10

Boat: 1984 Mirage 27 (Perry)

Mike O.,

Have you found any snow loading issues with the canvas material with really wet snows or ice storms compared to the tarp materials? I have always found the tarp or plastic like materials to be a bit more resistant to snow sticking. But then again nothing is totally immune if the conditions are right.
Thuid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:39   #11

I've camped in the Rocky Mountains using two different types of tents. One, nylon with a nylon rain fly, the other canvas covered with a plastic type tarp. Each one did collapse when exposed to heavy wet snow!
I would suggest that if using any material, to cover your vessel, support it well and have enough pitch on it to enable the snow to slide off freely. Heavy snows are well-known around the Great Lakes and many have had the roofs on homes, cottages, and garages collapse do to the weight of the snow. It would be a good practice to monitor regularly and clear the excess as soon as possible.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:42   #12

Boat: '86 Catalina 25, swing keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We always covered but it was not laced tightly at the stern. I prop the hatches up 1-1/2 inch and lift many of the floor boards. All cushions off. I keep the snow off by popping it from inside. A mass of snow on deck all winter could find its way into the core and wreck varnish. Open, I could not vent and dry the interior. The first weeks of colder weather causes the interior to act as a reflux condenser. It nearly rains inside until the Hull is permanently cold and residual water is gone.
I only stored outside for one season a couple years ago. I found a 16' x 40' 11 mil thick brown/white tarp on amazon for $102.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used the mast as a ridge pole, taped rags on areas of concern for chaffing on the mast, and put tennis balls over the lifeline stanchions to keep down chaffing. For my 25 Catalina with trailer it covered nicely. I left the hatch doors out with a screen in and ports in the head open for circulation. The nice thing about winter is the air is typically dry. You do not want to expose her to the freeze thaw of snow and ice on deck. As well, that ice just grinds away at everything and will cause concerns. Also, be sure to angle her a bit to drain properly in the instance that you do get some water in her. Not sure how close the lot is, but I made a point of checking the tie downs often and popping any snow accumulation off in a couple pockets that formed. Leaving her uncovered just seems neglectful.

I was fortunate to meet up with a guy the following fall and get her indoors for $100/month includes heat (to 55 deg F) water and electric. Its near my work so I pop in on her for lunch and knock out my winter refit projects in baby steps. He likes it cause there is someone coming and going on the regular and I basically cover his heating bill for the winter. Win Win.
Captain Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:05   #13

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuid View Post
Mike O.,

Have you found any snow loading issues with the canvas material with really wet snows or ice storms compared to the tarp materials? I have always found the tarp or plastic like materials to be a bit more resistant to snow sticking. But then again nothing is totally immune if the conditions are right.
I’ve not had any problems with over 15 years of doing this; neither with my plastic version, or my current canvas one. It’s all about the frame. It’s got to be sufficiently supportive to not allow any sagging. And the angle, or pitch, has to be steep enough to allow the snow to slide off.

I also think it helps to have enough flexibility in the frame to allow the wind to move it a bit, and therefore shake any snow loose.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:20   #14

Boat: Cal 33-2

The reasons for covering in the winter in areas that get below freezing temps and snow include avoiding damage from freeze-thaw cycles, protecting varnished teak, and preventing water from getting inside from plugged cockpit drains, etc.

If you have a couple thousand $, go for a custom cover. I don't like shrink wrap because of all the stuff that ends up in landfills and the chance of mildew inside if you don't provide adequate ventilation.

I've gone the tarp route. I've used the same tarps and frame for the last 7 seasons.
Some things I've learned.
1. Don't use the cheap blue or green traps. Spend a little more for the silver heavy duty ones. They last far longer, have double the number for grommets, and don't flap like the light ones.
2. As noted above, you need some pitch to get snow to slide off.
3. The 1/2 inch electrical conduit is VERY cheap and easy to work with to make frame supports. It bends and flexes and doesn't snap like PVC pipe does.
4. Closely spaces frame supports are needed to avoid areas where water can collect on the tarp and collapse the cover. Water and ice are heavy!
5. My tarps and frame materials were about $200 and will be used again (winter 8). So about $25 as season. Hard to beat that with a custom cover or shrinkwrap.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:28   #15

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I covered my fibreglass sloop with aluminum ridgepoles and arches and heavy waxed canvas I eventually turned into two pieces with a zipper and a flap for said zipper. It had a curtain-like "door" of two flaps that tied off at the stern. This worked for many years, although I had to regularly patch wear holes fretted into the canvas...hint: slit tennis balls and place over stanchion tops.

This was fine, however, for when I had lilttle or no work planned for the boat over the winter. Here in Toronto, we can fail to get a good snow dump until Christmas and it doesn't always accumulate, however, so if I was working aboard, I would skip the hassle and labour of the cover, just tarp the hatch over, and bring a shovel down as needed. Also, no real problem.

Last comment: Even the stoutest alu tube frame will move about a bit in a good blow, even if the tarp is tightly lashed under the hull and cradle. Get extra rubber "feet" for the tube ends to avoid damage to the deck, OR put little pads (cut up jeans will do) under those feet.

I now own a steel pilothouse cutter (see profile photo) I am refitting. I show up every two or three days all winter and have heaters and stereo and tools for continuing the refit process. There are also far fewer holes in the deck of a steel boat. I tend to tarp over the pilothouse roof, more for warmth than dryness, but other than that, I just shovel the deck off so I don't track snow down below. And off the solar arch, so I can keep the batteries charged if the yard power goes down.

So the answer is "it depends". I could never shrink-wrap my boat: that's far too wasteful and polluting to me. The tube frame was a one-time purchase, and the canvas tarp lasted about 12 years. I gave the tube frame to the guy who bought my boat. If you can run 15 amps to the boat, it can get nice and snug inside with just a small space heater most days...sometimes I would work for two hours and read a book for another two.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage