Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2021, 00:25   #1

Window/port hatch clamps siezed

Hi not sure if anyone has any ideas on this- I have goiot hatches/windows/portlights. They are in ok condition but in some of them one or both of the threaded clamps are siezed and can't be tightened up.

I have tried penetrative oil but I think they are aluminium treads with brass nuts inside the plastic knob...

Any ideas?

Tom.
tomfrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:45   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Window/port hatch clamps siezed

Oh, boy. The next to next step up from penetrant is heat, and you've got plastic knobs.

I really doubt (hope not) that you are looking at aluminum threads; looking in the parts catalog suggests stainless steel, and aluminum would fail quickly in ordinary use. It's not good stuff for cutting threads.

OK. I suggest that you be sure that you can replace your parts before you do something that might destroy your first one. Here's a site:

https://www.rigrite.com/Hardware/Hat...atch_Parts.php

Then if penetrant doesn't work, try mild impact, with a mallet on the handle. Don't shear the shaft. Small repeated hits only. When that fails, carefully apply heat to the threads until you first see some smoke from the area of the nut. Use a pencil torch or "wind resistant" BBQ lighter (same thing, cheap). See if that does it.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:02   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tom.

GOIOT Replacement Parts https://hatchmasters.com/product-cat...acement-parts/
AndBainbridge Marine > Goiot Hatch Parts
And GOÏOT - International Boat Spares

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:28   #4

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5

Try kroil brand creeping oil, this stuff is incredible and far superior to wd-40 or pb blaster. Put a couple drops a day for 3 or 4 days. If needed add a little heat from a propane torch but be careful not to melt your knobs. If you do break them loose put a little never seeze on the threads to prevent same problem in future. Good luck
Blue Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:30   #5

Boat: Nordic 44

My small Goiot hatch has plastic knobs on aluminum threaded pins. I doubt there it any metal embedded in the knob. Yours might be different but I doubt it.

The aluminum is probably corroded in the threads of the plastic. I would start with penetrating lubricant as you have done. Give it some time to work. Try to turn the knob back and forth a tiny bit. Any movement is a good sign. Then just continue with the penetrant and work the knob back and forth a little at a time until it is free. If that does not work grab the knob with a visegrips and try again.

The good news is that you can get parts, the bad news is that the US distributor of Goiot is Rigrite. Rigrite has an outrageoud markup. I was able to get a Goiot toerail part sent to me from France for less than a third of the Rigrite price and that included about 40 Euros shipping.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:54   #6

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

I have seizing problems all the time with SS screws used in aluminum parts. The screws attaching the stanchions to the toe rail were the worst you can imagine.

Sometimes the combination of heat, impact, aero kroil, and patience works, and too often it doesn't or I just run out of time and patience.

So I break out the drill and tap and die set. Being a european boat I have tap and die kits for SAE and metric. This is much faster and easier than the above strategies and I am now much less willing to struggle with a fused screw and less scared of not being able to get it out than before.

On occasion I've drilled it out and the hole is too big for the original size screw, so I either move up a size or install a helicoil.

Then, when installing the new screw, if the metals are dissimilar or not, I use Tef-Gel to prevent galling and future fusion problems.

I find it empowering to be able to do this pro-level stuff and it isn't hard after you have the right tools and have done it once.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:42   #7

Thanks everyone. I might try to get the screw down assembly off and if I can I can soak them...a job for next weekend....

Really appreciate the help...a great forum.
tomfrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 13:08   #8

Boat: 12m aluminium centreboarder

Ballistol is an exceptionally good product for freeing seized parts and can be used for all sorts of other purposes but you should be aware that quite a few plastics will absorb "oils" and swell. This could actually make the problem worse.
adjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 21:24   #9

Boat: chris craft 55' constelation

Try brake fluid - or a mix 50/50 gearbox oil and Acetone

good luck

gbmacca
gbmacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 23:01   #10

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmacca View Post
Try brake fluid - or a mix 50/50 gearbox oil and Acetone

good luck

gbmacca

That would be ATF, (auto trans fluid), The mix is sometimes referred to as weasel piss.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch, wind