Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2015, 16:36   #1

windlass temperament; showing to a stop

Hello,
I have an older horizon 900 vertical windlass (later taken over by lewmar). I bought her used and ran all new wiring above spec and she ran great hauling chain like a dream for two years. I was told she was rebuilt just prior to purchase. Recently, she runs well for a minute or so and then slows, then stops. At first I thought it was a battery issue and have replaced the batteries. When she slows I've tried switching to a fresh battery with no effect. If I wait a bit she turns slowly then stops again. Interestingly, if you hold the chain and the bow pulpit (grounded), and run the windlass you get a bit of a shock. My working theory is that the motor has a short, she gets hot, and can't get the current she needs due to increased resistance. Reasonable theory? Is a replacement needed? Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot or "just" replace?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Sail365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 16:42   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: windlass temperament; showing to a stop

Our Horizon 1500 exhibited the slowing down problem (but not the electrical shock thing) and the problem was worn brushes and dirty commutator in the motor. Replacing the brushes, cleaning the commutator and filing down the mica segments a bit got several more years out of the motor until lightning destroyed it and required a new motor.

Even if the motor is completely shot, you can just replace the motors in these instead of the whole windlass. Lewmar still sells the motors.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 17:00   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: windlass temperament; showing to a stop

Yeah, this sounds like, take everything apart and clean it it up time. There should not be power to the chain unless you anchored in the wrong place.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, wind, windlass