Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2018, 13:36   #1

Boat: Alberg 30, Hull #69
Windlass foot switches

Any thoughts on best placement of foot switches? Fore and aft? Either side of windlass chain? Any really bad choices?
AbelCMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 13:42   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Windlass foot switches

I made the mistake of putting them so close together that the lid for one,when open, lies across the other. Stupid.... don't do that!

Jim
Old 12-10-2018, 13:58   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

We did ours side by side which made more sense to me than fore and aft (less likely to hit 2 at once). Ours just have rubber over the switches so no lids to deal with.

Doesn't seem like a bad idea to mount them on either side windlass. If you have a wash down hose, this way you could possibly rinse off the chain easier.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 14:00   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

If that's the stupidest thing you've done working on a boat, Jim, you should consider yourself very fortunate indeed!

Now, I wouldn't put them at opposing sides of winch otherwise you'll end up doing the crazy man dance if you have to jog the chain up and down. Being right handed, I put mine as far to the right hand side and back as comfortable to operate, with the down button forward of the up button. This seems to work ok, although my favourite mod is to add one of those cheap eBay wireless winch remotes to basically eliminate the need to use the foot switches any way. If you have a contactor installed already, this is an easy mod.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 14:54   #5

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Windlass foot switches

Thread drift alert!
Foot switches. Plural.
I’ve only got an up and a manual clutch. I’ve used up and down on other boats but don’t miss the down.
Do you use your down a lot or just the clutch?
I’ve been pondering a reversing relay and second switch for a while.
I’m interested thoughts and observations.
I do have a second switch. At the helm.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 18:29   #6

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

One of the better boat improvements I've made was to add a remote switch to the windlass relay. Cost about $14 on Amazon, and it came with two remotes. I clip one on a belt loop before anchoring, and I can drop or retrieve with the push of a button.

They sell these things for off-road vehicles as a remote winch relay. Same idea as a windlass.

No cutting holes in the deck, either!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 18:43   #7

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Can't you rotate the switches 90* so this wouldn't happen?
Or the "one" 180*?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I made the mistake of putting them so close together that the lid for one,when open, lies across the other. Stupid.... don't do that!

Jim
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 18:45   #8

Mine are too close to the teak toe-rail --- I can't varnish without removing from the deck; otherwise, accumulated varnish goo all over the covers
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 18:49   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
One of the better boat improvements I've made was to add a remote switch to the windlass relay. Cost about $14 on Amazon, and it came with two remotes. I clip one on a belt loop before anchoring, and I can drop or retrieve with the push of a button.

They sell these things for off-road vehicles as a remote winch relay. Same idea as a windlass.

Bingo, on this boat I decided not to have foot switches, I don’t miss them.
If I were to have a hard wired switch, it would be handheld with an up and down toggle, but no foot switches for me, they of course force you in one place and you can’t move.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 19:14   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I will use a hand switch next time. It could be a remote, but on the rail would be fine too.

A few years ago I was knocked off balance by a large wake and fell with my knee on the up-switch, my hand on the chain, and my weight on both of them. As a result, I couldn't lift either, which was rather scary for a few seconds. Only a sailing glove saved me from loosing a finger. After that I always either kneeled on BOTH knees or sat down.

(Yes, it was dumb. That happens. One more reason not to throw a wake near anchored boats.)
Old 12-10-2018, 21:02   #11

Boat: Outbound 44

As Thinwater said, I think the foot switches are dangerous. I had a crew member tear off an entire finger in the windlass while in a very remote area. The foot switches force you into one position no matter the optimum place to stand is when you are clearing a heavy anchor.
I liked the wired remotes better, like this one.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 21:47   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I use a step on switch with a long chord that I can position anywhere that's comfortable for what I'm doing. It plugs into a power box on the winch motor that also contains a switch for manual on and off and a reverse switch. (also controlled from the wheel)

So if I want to stand near the bow and watch the chain coming up or behind the capstan when pulling the line, the foot switch is always where I need it. It stores in a bow locker when not needed.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 23:31   #13

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

Did the same for ours when I recently replaced the foredeck.

Being able to lean over the bulwarks with hose in one hand and switch in the other is a wonderful thing.

We have an up down toggle at the wheel and that is where I wired the remote relay into.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 03:42   #14

Boat: Valiant 40
Windlass foot switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I will use a hand switch next time. It could be a remote, but on the rail would be fine too.

A few years ago I was knocked off balance by a large wake and fell with my knee on the up-switch, my hand on the chain, and my weight on both of them. As a result, I couldn't lift either, which was rather scary for a few seconds. Only a sailing glove saved me from loosing a finger. After that I always either kneeled on BOTH knees or sat down.

(Yes, it was dumb. That happens. One more reason not to throw a wake near anchored boats.)

One of those countless examples of the supremacy of experience and the benefit of sharing it. While I’m careful around my windlass, this particular scenario never occurred to me, but now I’ll be mindful of it. Thanks!

I single-hand extensively and could not live without foot switches, particularly when wielding the washdown hose. My switches are situated where I can reach them while observing the chain coming up and cleaning it off. The switches are about four inches apart which is ideal: close enough to easily move my foot from one to the other without looking but not so close that I accidentally hit the wrong one.

The switches are off center on the side with the primary gypsy, which allows me to kneel and easily control the windlass while attaching/detaching the snubber with a soft shackle.

Best thing is to stand at the bow and go through all the motions concerned with deploying and retrieving the anchor. The right spot for your switches should reveal itself pretty quickly.

I really like Maxwell switches. Very durable and reliable. Take one apart (which I did while diagnosing an issue a few years ago) and you’ll be impressed with their simplicity and robust design.
Old 13-10-2018, 04:00   #15
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Did the same for ours when I recently replaced the foredeck.

Being able to lean over the bulwarks with hose in one hand and switch in the other is a wonderful thing.

We have an up down toggle at the wheel and that is where I wired the remote relay into.
Another vote for wireless... Took 15 minutes to install and has worked flawlessly. Great for single handing.
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windlass