Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2019, 03:31   #1

Boat: CT-47
Wind generator location on Mizzen

We are in the process to mount a wind generator on the Mizzen mast of our 50 foot 19 metric t ketch.
Most common mounting I have seen is about ⅔ up the mast.

We already have a radar mounted hence the wind generator would need to be mounted higher.

A while ago I saw a ketch with the wind generator mounted on top of the Mizzen.

Maintenance: I see no difference of the two options... just need to climb up the mast steps higher

A separate pole on the stern is not an option for us.

Would appreciate to hear from others of their choice of location for the wind generator on a mizzenmast.
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 04:28   #2

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft
Re: Wind generator location on Mizzen

I have had wind generator on the mast for over 20 years. I started with air marine and was happy with it until the original manufacturers changed and could not get new regulator. I got an d400 and the weight difference is phenomenal. The momentum of any seaway caused the original mount to fail and I have had to strengthen it considerably. Mine is just above the radar as you stated. The mount at the top would give more free air but just think of the added moment arm as a pendulum and much increased forces.
Additionally the air marine could be shut down by shorting the output, not so the d400. The blades must be physically stopped. Think how you would do this in a storm.
Old 29-09-2019, 04:42   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

Also interested in this , as I am looking at this option. Any recommendations for mounts and generators? I was looking at emarine s setup with an air X.
Does being up there help the noise or make it worse?
Svsumurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 05:06   #4

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Wind generator location on Mizzen

Mine is on the mizzen just above the radar. I wouldn’t want it on the masthead at all. Loads will be significantly higher.
I’ve got on older air x retrofitted with silent x hub and blades.
It’s not too noisy but I do sometimes find it annoying when sleeping, so I flip the switch and shut it off.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 05:31   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

We’ve got a mount from here
http://svhotwire.com/mounts/#more-1764

The wind generator and radar are close together on the mizzen mast.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3866.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	200667
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 06:46   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We’ve mulled this about too. All good points regarding access and pendulum. We also run a mizzen staysail and have Radar, horns, loudhailer and radar reflector. For us, I think a custom off set pole from the dinghy Davits is the only option.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	79E4BB31-F5C5-4D8A-904A-E05461F4F9C5.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	200677  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 14:28   #7

Boat: Alberg 35 Yawl eventide

We have an Airx mounted on top of the mizzen mast on our Alberg 35. Yawl. Best place on this boat however I installed spreaders on the mast to stop vibration
blakeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 15:55   #8

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Something to be aware of... I had a Rutland wind generator on my mizzen mast. I eventually got rid of it due to a very annoying constant noise resonance in my aft cabin.
I have a centre cockpit ketch, the mizzen is deck stepped over the aft cabin, with no mast support pole beneath. The mizzen mast is relatively small & supported by a beam across the deck. I also have my radar antenna mounted on that mast.
The whole setup acted like a tea chest double bass instrument. My aft sleeping cabin was the tea chest, the mast was the broom handle, & the standing rigging provided the string. The slightest wind vibration did the rest.
It literally took me months to figure out where that constant vroom vroom vroom noise was coming from every night. 2 a.m., cant sleep again, I'd be sticking my head out of the aft hatch, looking around to see what idiot was running his engine to charge batteries in the middle of the night (not thinking to look up...).
I replaced the whole unit - same difference. Finally chucked a rope over the blades to tie them off & eventually just got rid of it altogether. Peace at last...
The previous owner spent a lot of time anchored off but I pretty well marina hop so I don't miss the wind generator. I,ve got a big battery bank & a high output alternator anyway.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 16:00   #9

Boat: Hudson 50

I’ve seen a wind generator mounted on the lower shrouds of the Mizzenmast. They had made a custom mount that attached to the two stays. Seemed to work pretty well and I as out of the way
Oceandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 21:51   #10

Boat: South Coast 36

I have mine on top of the mizzen. Have had no problems. Since fitting I have travelled about 2000nm about half of that were 3+ day legs with atrocious weather on many days. Including bashing down th e
West coast of Australia into the SW swells.
aualby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 22:11   #11

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

We have a silentwind mounted on the very top of the mizzen of our amel 53... The PO had one there as well for years and loved it. They have a rubber mount kit which eliminates vibrations. When we replaced it last year, the blades look like they are not adjustable so I just put them on, and experienced a lot of vibrations that could be heard and felt in the boat and esp aft cabin. Took it down, measured the distance between the blade tips, found a centimeter difference. Adjusted them to be accurate within a fraction of a mm, now there is ZERO vibration or resonance at any wind speed in the cabin or anywhere else. If yours vibrates, measure that distance!

They have a remote brake switch as well as auto brake for storms, as well as a bluetooth app to do the same and monitor everything from your phone. I believe you can also short them out if needed, but that's probably what the switch does anyway....

When my anchor mates' arch mounted gennies are sitting still, often mine is spinning at a good clip. Well worth it to put it up there if you want to squeeze out the most juice with the least wind across your deck...
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 18:00   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 44 CC Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsumurun View Post
Also interested in this , as I am looking at this option. Any recommendations for mounts and generators? I was looking at emarine s setup with an air X.
Does being up there help the noise or make it worse?
Noise is not the issue, vibration is. Vibration at or near the top of the stick will migrate to a spot just below your pillow, at night. A set up like this seen on a Nautical Development 60 puts two units on a platform (along with the radar dome/array). Two units will help offset the vibration generated by only one. Naturally, You could also do just one with radar, if you like.

I used to sell small wind turbines (<50 kW). The worse installs were ALWAYS because the owner cheaped out and didn’t install it high enough.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	43CA1EA5-5796-4522-B0C5-9040AD96BDAC.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	200782  
Old 01-10-2019, 05:19   #13

Boat: CT-47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
We have a silentwind mounted on the very top of the mizzen of our amel 53... The PO had one there as well for years and loved it. They have a rubber mount kit which eliminates vibrations. When we replaced it last year, the blades look like they are not adjustable so I just put them on, and experienced a lot of vibrations that could be heard and felt in the boat and esp aft cabin. Took it down, measured the distance between the blade tips, found a centimeter difference. Adjusted them to be accurate within a fraction of a mm, now there is ZERO vibration or resonance at any wind speed in the cabin or anywhere else. If yours vibrates, measure that distance!

They have a remote brake switch as well as auto brake for storms, as well as a bluetooth app to do the same and monitor everything from your phone. I believe you can also short them out if needed, but that's probably what the switch does anyway....

When my anchor mates' arch mounted gennies are sitting still, often mine is spinning at a good clip. Well worth it to put it up there if you want to squeeze out the most juice with the least wind across your deck...

Thanks for the detailed reply. That’s the route I am planning to go.
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:18   #14

Ours is atop the mizzen, PO installed in there over 10 years ago and circumnavigated with it, though I do not know how it is mounted, it's seen 3 hurricanes and is still ticking. Noise in the aft cabin is an issue if the wind is less than 10 knots, but then again that doesn't generate any power anyway so we will put it in brake mode then.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1060284.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	200792  
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:04   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I had my wind generator mounted about 2/3 up my mizzen just above my radar. This suited me well, but I did have two regrets.

The location of my wind generator did interfere with the use of my mizzen staysail. This was not a sail that I had used frequently, but it had been a joy to use while maneuvering in tight places. Along with the genoa this pair of sails could be controlled and doused downwind without needing to come into the wind.

In addition, one of my goals with the wind generator had been to supply power for my auto pilot (an old power hungry Benmar hydraulic pump). I could be sailing well in a fresh breeze, but have no action on wind generator due to the spoiled air between my main and mizzen.

These problems would have had me placed the generator atop my mizzen if I had considered them earlier.

Tags
generator, wind, wind generator