Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2019, 16:50   #1

Boat: Hunter 27-2
Will this trailer work?

I have a Catalina 250 wing keel that I’m trying to find a used trailer for. I think I found one but need some advice. The one I found was used with a Catalina 25 swing keel. It has bunks that are only a couple feet off the trailer. But the risers are adjustable. I may need to add some longer posts. My question is, what else do I need to do? Will I need to weld on stabilizing supports to it? Should I convert to pads instead of bunks? Anyone with experience on this? See the pictures below. Thanks much!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0599.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	199211Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0601.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	199212Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0602.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	199213
SeaRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 17:36   #2

Re: Will this trailer work?

I would keep the bunks over putting pads on it. If you need taller posts or want to do welding on that trailer keep in mind it looks like the steel on that trailer could be hot dip galvanized, and if it is you do not weld where it is galvanized. If you need an explanation of why that is dangerous be sure to search that out.

Additionally, prepare to do some serious work on the wheel bearings by replacing them or at least repacking them with grease. I just had a buddy of mine ignore that advice on a road trip and between the roadside tow and the weekend shop rates he got gouged for $3K for his trailer. Even the tires had to be replaced, they were junk. Don't be that guy.

I've had a lot of trailers and still currently own 3. The first thing I do before I take a new-to-me trailer on the road is to do a thorough inspection of the wheels, tires, and brakes. If nothing else at least have those checked out before you load a boat on that trailer. An empty trailer can be towed a reasonable distance without doing that, not a fully loaded trailer.
Shenandoah52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 19:27   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

I got a lesson on trailering from our club’s Assistant Manager: the 1/10/100 rule that he goes by. After checking everything and driving off, stop after the first mile and re-check for loose stuff or things that might be chafing. Do it again at 10 miles, and again at 100. Works every time, and helps avoid being “that guy".
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:08   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

It looks like the keel support structure will need considerable reworking if you are going from a swing keel to a winged keel which may generate a more concentrated load. The cross beams may need to be closer together.

Go have a wander around the yacht club hard stands and see if you can find another winged keel boat on a trailer and make a comparison.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer