Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2017, 04:36   #1

Why is it useful to smooth the forward edge of the chain hole ?

I'm installing a new Lofrans Tigre Windlass.

The installation instructions mention that the forward facing edge of the hole chain must be smoothed for an angle of 45° (see attached picture).

I imagine it might make sense to ensure the chain doesn't end up chafing on the deck, but why only the forward facing edge then ?

Does anybody have an explanation ?

Thanks in advance !
Brann
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ecubier.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	148463  
Brann- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 06:03   #2

Re: Why is it useful to smooth the forward edge of the chain hole ?

Brann,

The Lofrans is designed to handle chain and rope anchor rodes. Chain easily drops down through the hole when heaving in the rode, but rope and a rope to chain splice is stiffer for its weight than the chain. The weight of the rope hanging between the deck and the pile of rope at the bottom of the locker is not enough to make the sharp turn from horizontal to vertical. So, the extra clearance from the 45 degree bevel eases the drag that can prevent the rope from stowing itself in the locker.

The instructions that came with the Lofrans on my boat also had recommendations concerning the depth of the rope-and-chain locker.

Paul
.Paul. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 06:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Paul. View Post
Brann,

The Lofrans is designed to handle chain and rope anchor rodes. Chain easily drops down through the hole when heaving in the rode, but rope and a rope to chain splice is stiffer for its weight than the chain. The weight of the rope hanging between the deck and the pile of rope at the bottom of the locker is not enough to make the sharp turn from horizontal to vertical. So, the extra clearance from the 45 degree bevel eases the drag that can prevent the rope from stowing itself in the locker.

The instructions that came with the Lofrans on my boat also had recommendations concerning the depth of the rope-and-chain locker.

Paul
Oh I see. I didn't think about rope at all, since I have 300ft of chain and no rope at all !
Thanks a lot for the insight !
Brann- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 06:31   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brann- View Post
I'm installing a new Lofrans Tigre Windlass.

The installation instructions mention that the forward facing edge of the hole chain must be smoothed for an angle of 45° (see attached picture).

I imagine it might make sense to ensure the chain doesn't end up chafing on the deck, but why only the forward facing edge then ?

Does anybody have an explanation ?

Thanks in advance !
Brann
Asking them would be best.

I'm guess it has to do with passing the relativly stiff rope-to-chain splice, because at that point the rode is making a 90 degree turn downwards in a short space. Since the splice does not bend easily, the chamfer provides space and reduces a hang-up point.
Old 26-05-2017, 07:45   #5

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

I was curious about the same thing in their guide when I rebuild the anchor locker/windlass base.

I chamfered, or more accurately, cut a large radius all around the hole, top and bottom. I even wrapped the doughnut hole with Kevlar for abrasion resistance. The weave looked cool before I painted it!
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 09:30   #6

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

It is more about the chain than anything else. Chain rope, it all goes around a round corner easier than a square corner, especially coming out.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote