Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2013, 18:32   #61

Re: Why do you need a watermaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Thanks for your feedback. Anyone else with input, I'll appreciate learning from your experience or research.
From a friend who sailed to Mexico from Vancouver BC a few years ago:

The watermaker was a great investment. I've seen the other side - people buying their water in 5 gallon jugs and trying to sneak in a little shampoo as they steal a beachside shower from a resort. It doesn't look like fun. We love the watermaker.
Capacity is important. The cheaper low volume Katadyne units have to run forever to make enough water. Something in the 150 gpd range is much better. We have a Spectra unit.

IMHO, "Wrong" is wrong for a lot of people, and has his own way of doing things. Humping H2O would seem to be counterproductive to a pleasant cruise. Tom has a much better appreciation of reality.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 18:34   #62

Boat: Catalina 36

I'm not hauling water. The man must install a watermaker.
Old 21-09-2013, 18:41   #63

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
I'm not hauling water. The man must install a watermaker.
Water maker went out late last season, had to jerry jug water, water maker fix was at the top of the prep list for this season!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 18:44   #64

Chalk me up to a happy vote with the 40e, and I'd get the same unit again. This guy's website lays out everything you'd ever need to know, has a video on a full strip down, and he has a (90 page) free ebook he put together on use and maintenance (of the 40e).

Katadyn and PUR Watermakers: Installation, Maintenance and Troubleshooting

We've had ours for a couple of months now in the Sea of Cortez. It's relatively quiet, uses the listed power, and is easy to operate.

To answer the why of using a watermaker, at a ~6 gallon/day burn rate, that's 336 pounds of water, every week, that you'll need to schlep back and forth.

And I can't agree at all that "anywhere sailors go there is good potable water". You can manage your tankage around good water sources, and we did for a while. But if I can go wherever I like, and you have to stick close to water, guess who has more freedom?

It's not a panacea, but it sure is handy as all hell.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 18:56   #65

Boat: Sinek, Pilothouse, 43ft

I say that if you are planning on staying anchored out in isolated places or doing long passages, go watermaker all the way. If not, the few thousand they cost will get you quite a few nights at marinas to fill up, take hot showers etc. Both options are cool. We have large tanks so chose to not get one but sometimes wished we did.
SV Maclas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 19:10   #66

I came across this too. Just something to think about and why people's experiences might be so different.

Quote:
The biggest are water temperature, pressure and salinity (high salinity is seawater with more ppm, low salinity is less) – with temperature being the most significant. In higher-temperature water the membrane elements will swell and allow more product water and more salt though, so you’ll get more freshwater, but it’ll have a little more salt in it. In cold water, the membranes restrict, yielding less flow with less salt content – better water, but less of it. If the salinity increases, like going to the Mediterranean where seawater can be as high as 38,000 ppm, you’ll get more salt and less product water. If you increase the pressure on the seawater, you’ll get more product water with less salt.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 20:59   #67

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

We have a Katadyn PowerSurvivor 80E water maker. And were glad of it when the projected 30-day run from Mexico to the Marquesas ended up being 43 days. Wind, thy name be Fickle...

Since leaving the Pacific NW we've only occasionally taken on dockside water. We also collect rainwater when possible. Both dockside and rainwater get run through a 2 mic filter, a charcoal filter, then a UV lamp before going into the main tanks or 3L plastic bottles. Call me paranoid.

Anyway, the 80E specs:

Draws 8 amps at 12 vdc
...{Factory specs... ours draws 9 amps)

Produces 3.4 gallons/hour (12.9 liters/hour)
...{Factory specs... ours makes approx 3, maybe 3.1 gph}

Needs another overhaul, I guess.

{Repeating from my other post(s): We anchor out and run the whole boat's electronics from solar panels (4x 85W) and an Air Breeze wind turbine. GenSet died halfway to Nuku Hiva and is apparently beyond economical repair. We do NOT run the main motor for battery charging - only a short time each month to keep it happy. Deeply regret not installing larger capacity solar panels. Live and learn. Point being: Nav lights, water maker, Engel Eclipse 38L fridge/freezer, VHF & SSB radios, cabin ventilators, two computers and the Torqeedo battery recharging, and and and, all do quite nicely - just not all at once!}
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 21:39   #68
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Rain is good.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 22:13   #69

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
From a friend who sailed to Mexico from Vancouver BC a few years ago:

The watermaker was a great investment. I've seen the other side - people buying their water in 5 gallon jugs and trying to sneak in a little shampoo as they steal a beachside shower from a resort. It doesn't look like fun. We love the watermaker.
Capacity is important. The cheaper low volume Katadyne units have to run forever to make enough water. Something in the 150 gpd range is much better. We have a Spectra unit.

IMHO, "Wrong" is wrong for a lot of people, and has his own way of doing things. Humping H2O would seem to be counterproductive to a pleasant cruise. Tom has a much better appreciation of reality.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 23:35   #70

Boat: Island Packet 40

Hi, I have a Katadyne Power Survivor 40E which I purchased second hand in Cairns last year in preference to installing a high capacity, engine driven unit.

I have had my boat for 27 years and have permanently lived aboard for the last 12 of them. Since 2002 I cruised up and down the Queensland coast and relied upon two 80 L water tanks for fresh water storage. I had not previously felt the need to have a water maker as you can drink the water from the taps pretty well everywhere in Australia.

The reason I wanted a water maker was that I was embarked upon a voyage to Exmouth in WA and fresh water is very scarce along that section of coast. In addition I plan to travel to SE Asia and perhaps the S Pacific in the future and it is not safe to even bathe in the water in some of those places.

I find it is comforting to know that I can produce sufficient fresh water to survive on with the water maker should I run short during the long waterless hauls common on the Australian coast. I also retain about 20 L of water on deck in containers as a secure backup.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 13:05   #71

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
I went away and just let your 'correction' stand. But, if you re-read my post you'll see I stated what in my view are situations where having a watermaker makes sense. Of course there are other possibilities like wanting to take long showers, running the clothes washer and other sorts of frivolties necessary to folks that may just as well stay home.

Only my opinion of course.
Fortunately there are all sorts of people, and definitions of basic needs. If my GF required a clothes washer, microwave, and long showers I might be faced with upgrading to a new boat in which case a water maker is the least of my additional cost My 1974 35' Rasmus carries 75gal under the floor. Our consumption is moderate and one little gadget I love is the simple faucet attachment that allows flow when I touch it with a cup or plate. I conserve water and power naturally but guests don't always get it. I could be a grouchy old fart, but then I'd probably have fewer guests. For me the investment in a small water maker will provide the freedom and self sufficiency I desire for longer cruises.
jkindredpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 13:47   #72
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Like I've said here a hundred times and is shown from the above comments, "There is no one watermaker that fits everyone's needs" everyone's needs are different. People are different and their idea of comfort and wants will be different from one to the next. If real "Need" is the measuring tape then you don't really "Need" a boat either.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 13:49   #73

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Like I've said here a hundred times and is shown from the above comments, "There is no one watermaker that fits everyone's needs" everyone's needs are different. People are different and their idea of comfort and wants will be different from one to the next. If real "Need" is the measuring tape then you don't really "Need" a boat either.
+1. True "needs" = food, clothing, shelter, not much else. Recreational boats and watermakers are WAY beyond needs.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 15:03   #74
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Tellie is a Spectra rep...and I sell AC water makers, I think most people here know that, but if we both had a dollar for everytime we have seen this "do we or don't we" need a water maker discussion...heck we could both retire The problem comes in when people take what they need/want and assume anyone else is either crazy or a fool if they don't agree or want to take showers every day...and on a hot day even twice

We cruised full time for 4 years in hot Mexico (yes the summers too) with a family of 4 and almost without exception, eveyone took a shower each day, we washed down our dive gear after each use, and my anchor chain rinse down was fresh water. We averaged 20-25gals per day over the 4 year period and having plenty of water added tremendously to our comfort and enjoyment. We met plenty of cruisers without water makers and they were enjoying the same anchorge we were, they weren't evildoers, and a few of them didn't even smell all that bad! Would I or more importantly my wife agree to go cruising without a water maker, not a chance, but that doesn't mean others wouldn't. Heck I'm now forced into running the Honda Generator so she can dry her hair with a freaken hair dryer for pete's sake...but that is what it takes to make her happy and to keep living comfortably aboad on year 6.

Don't make the mistake of thinking you can not add gear AFTER you cast off. Cruise for a season, find out what you like or if humpping water is for you and then act accordingly. New cruisers make the false assumption that the boat and gear must be all perfect and sorted out from day one. Get the boat and GO and add gear as you figure things out for yourself. See what gear is reliable and what gear other cruisers are commonly cursing and waiting for parts. You will also save the headache of buying gear you don't need or the wrong gear for YOU...not the Chat room....not the Glossy Magazine advertizement or the dock expert...but for YOU.

Of course you do not need a water maker, nor do you need Beer, Rum, Ice Cream or a blender and ice for evening cocktail hour, but take away any of those from me and I'm outta here
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watermaker