Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2020, 19:59   #1

Why aren't all intake thru-hulls consolidated into one?

Just curious about this ...

Through hull fittings are single points of failure. If there was a single (or double) seacock thru-hull that came into a reservoir that was bonded to the hull and all water intakes drew from valves in the reservoir then you would have two means of dealing with a failure. If a seacock failed you could cut off the reservoir valves and if a reservoir valve failed you could close the seacock.

I'm sure there is a T-ball "duh" reason out there why this isn't done that I haven't thought of ...
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 20:04   #2

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Why aren't all intake thru-hulls consolidated into one?

Manifolds are common on some boats but it involves a bunch of plumbing routes that unless planned form the design/build it is hard to implement. It really makes a bunch of sense though. I had one on my previous steel boat.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 20:07   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

It’s called a “sea chest”. Steve Dashew, for one, is a strong proponent. As with everything, there are pros and cons. Depending on boat configuration it can result in some long saltwater plumbing runs inside the boat. You’ve hit on the big pro, properly designed it provides a single point that is stronger and lower probability of failure than a seacock.

That configuration does exist and is found on some boats although not as common (in our size vessels) as multiple seacocks.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 20:09   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Manifolds are common on some boats but it involves a bunch of plumbing routes that unless planned form the design/build it is hard to implement. It really makes a bunch of sense though. I had one on my previous steel boat.
Was your manifold filled just by the hydrostatic pressure of a below the waterline opening + a purge valve or did a pump push water into it?
Old 11-11-2020, 20:13   #5

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I agree with the previous comments.

However I decided to have a dedicated input for the motor and another input for the toilet and desalinator.
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:09   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I've gone a step further in my mind and designed my next boat (mostly in my head, unless I win the lotto) with the engine keel cooler inside the sea chest. No more raw water impellers! And the removable lid would be above the waterline, so it could be opened for inspection while in use.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:46   #7

Defever Trawlers almost always have a sea chest (attached Pic)

Groco makes a manifold to attach to sea strainer outlet. Read their description and you'll see they do not recommend it, but will sell it to you anyway. Lawyers talking I suppose. The sum of the outlets is less than the inlet.

https://www.groco.net/products/fitti...water-manifold

I am in the process of a major refit and reconfiguration. I went with a DIY oversized manifold. 2-inch through hull to 2-inch sea strainer that feeds my 4.236 75hp Perkins (3/4"), a salt water wash down pump (1/2") and an AC (5/8").

The risk is that if the raw water pickup or sea strainer becomes obstructed, the engine draw will suck air through the shared inlets. Which is why OEM engine manufacturers will void a warranty of the engine does not have a dedicated through hull inlet.

My objective in aggregating several through hulls into a single manifold was not really to minimize holes in the boat - well installed sea cocks (vs mushroom fittings with ball valves) are incredibly robust and reliable. My goal was to minimize sea strainers and to keep all through hulls in the engine room where I could more easily monitor and service. This is especially helpful for AC water intakes that often have small plastic sea strainers scattered in hard to reach places.

Im the end, I opted to put all my eggs in one basket, but watch the basket closely. It was not a cheap exercise - 2-inch fittings and strainers are expensive, and filling all the old holes tool time and money too.

Peter Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201112-063255.jpeg
Views:	383
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	226774
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
The risk is that if the raw water pickup or sea strainer becomes obstructed, the engine draw will suck air through the shared inlets. Which is why OEM engine manufacturers will void a warranty of the engine does not have a dedicated through hull inlet.
This is a valid concern that I hadn't thought of. This would necessitate a check valve on the engine draw (or any draw that creates a siphon).
Old 12-11-2020, 05:35   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I designed my boat with only one inlet, a big bronze Perko with a strainer. I moved the arm of the valve 90 degrees so that horizontal is "open," and then ran a wire and knob up to the salon above the engine room. In an emergency (flood) I could simply pull the wire to close the valve.

Yes, one inlet results in long hose runs, for example raw water to the genset and watermaker. IMHO that is far better than having seacocks all over the engine room, including under the engine where you would never get to them if they did pop.

Warranty? That's a reasonable concern that I avoided - a surplus engine that cost me $4,200. No warranty.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:06   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I share your concern about seacocks. A sea chest can be a good solution, but keep in mind that it generally results in longer hose runs than would be the case if individual seacocks were used.

If the hose is split or punctured as it travels below the waterline, in many cases this will flood the boat. The longer hose runs associated with a seachest increase this risk. The hose is arguably the most vulnerable and fragile component. Note that due to syphon action this often applies even if some part of the hose is raised above the waterline.

An alternative is installing each seacock on a standpipe so the seacock itself is above the waterline. Therefore if the seacock leaks it cannot flood the boat.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:14   #11

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

I have a seachests and 4 standpipes. I don’t understand how you feed an impeller pump if the valve is above the waterline.
M.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:28   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

All of the intakes in my PDQ are in bulkheaded compartments, one compartment in each hull.

I had a partial failure of one during my delivery trip. It been mucked with during the survey and not reassembled correctly. It flooded a small compartment but did not harm.

The boat also has crash tanks forward, aft (rudder post), and engine compartment bulkheads. Very hard to flood. Because it is a multihull with narrow hulls, the bulkheads are worked into the layout and invisible (they would have been there anyway).

It may not work in all cases, but it has merit. I suspect any boat could do it if the bulkheads were designed in BEFORE the furnishings went in. Just box the critical items.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPCampbell View Post
This is a valid concern that I hadn't thought of. This would necessitate a check valve on the engine draw (or any draw that creates a siphon).
Correct. I forgot to mention in my original post. I placed groco check valves in the competing draws. They replace a close nipple. Not very expensive.

https://www.groco.net/products/valve...lves/cv-series
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:31   #14

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPCampbell View Post
Was your manifold filled just by the hydrostatic pressure of a below the waterline opening + a purge valve or did a pump push water into it?
Initially it was a sea-chest, in essence a 4 inch pipe welded to hull with 4 threaded nipples and extending to about 12 inches above the waterline with a screw-on cap so that I could clean it - centralizing all valves. But it didn'work as it got fouled and blocked constantly no matter what I did and it was a pain to clean inside the nipples. So I closed it and installed a large seacock with a manifold containing the engine and the other 2 valves to service the galley and head - similar to the picture posted by mvweebles on post #7. Long hose runs, but it was preplanned and each had their anti-syphon valves.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:38   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Good catch, Manateeman. Apparently hanging out with blubberbutts has not dulled your cognitive processes.

My point of view on the issue of hoses failing was to make every hose that comes directly off the central seacock/strainer, or branched from it before reaching it's destination pump, wire reinforced rated hose, with two good SS hose clamps at each end. That meant, for example, replacing the really sorry vinyl hose sent with the shaft seal (to wet the seal) with a reinforced alternative. Yes, they are heavy, and they are underfoot in the engine room. But, since failures are almost always at the ends, I doubt that the long runs are much more of a threat to rupture than would be short runs. After eight years, no aneurysms, no cracking, no bulges.

Oh, and "branches" are the bronze fitting at the end of the primary hose, not junctions in route. Single hoses, seacock to pump.

Tags
hull